New Spyware Doctor 3.5 Error...

Discussion in 'other anti-malware software' started by Italtony, Feb 24, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Italtony

Italtony Registered Member

Hi Guys,

I have been using v3.2 without probs for some time and yesterday decided to install the new 3.5 version. I use XP with a system we'll beyond any normal requirements to run this program but the problem I have is that when I do a scan it gets to 29% then stops with a pop up at scan position C:/windows/system32/mwsock.dll and the grey pop up bannor says: Error in dll.Scan_Start: Invalid data type for " Does anyone know why this is? If I click OK then it continues as normal but always hangs on that point.

I then uninstalled it and ran version 3.2 again with all the updates implemented to see if this was something on my PC but this version ran smooth without this error. I then again installed v3.5 and "Voilla" the same problem hanging at 29% of the scan with the same error message.

Any assistance woul dbe appreciated since one has to hang around for this error instead of leaving the program to do its thing......most anoying!

ANTonio:cool:

Last edited: Feb 24, 2006
  2. Antarctica

Antarctica Registered Member

Re: New Sprware Doctor 3.5 Error...

Hi Italtony and welcome to the Forum,

I have Spyware Doctor 3.5 install on one of my PC and I don't have this problem, it runs very smoothly.It must be related to your system. Did you completely uninstall the old version before installing V 3.5?

I would try to uninstall Spyware Doctor again but this time make sure you remove manually any folder that could have been left behind.

Run ccleaner or Regcleaner, then reboot your system. Try to re-install Spyware Doctor again and let us know if it works this time.:)

3. Italtony

Hi Antartica,

Thanks you for your greeting m8, I can say that I first uninstalled the old version then deleted anytracks manually using regedit then cleaned with ccleaner and Registry Mechanic but still this odd message whereby I have to click OK for it to continue as normal.

As I mentioned with the old version (v3.2) never had any troubles only with this new one m8 so I am sure it's some sort of bug in there, I also tried removing a file from Windows/System32/Drivers (ikhlayer.sys) to see if this would sort it as described by one of the PC Tools employee in one of the threads here but still it keeps on hanging there.

Hope this helps for any further assistance on this....

ANTonio.

4. Antarctica

Antarctica Registered Member

Sorry Italtony, I can't really help you more on this one, you will have to wait for someone with another idea.:)

5. Italtony

Thats Ok m8, thanks for trying anyways, since this obviously seems a bug within this new version one can only hope that the PC Tools team sort it out in future updates otherwise I may just have to go back to the older 3.2 version which works smoothly without any scan error pop-ups apearing.

ANTonio.

6. Eldar

Eldar Registered Member

Welcome to Wilders Italtony, :)
    You could always contact PC Tools, so they'll know about it.

From my own experience I know that they respond pretty quickly to support
    requests. :D

7. Italtony

Thanks Eldar....I have done this before as I remember with some other problem I once had and they never replied to my ticket at the time so I am not holding out for much here but I have created a new ticket for this problem and hope that a reply will come at some point.

ANTonio.

8. Eldar

Eldar Registered Member

You're welcome ANTonio. ;)
    Strange that they never responded to your previous ticket.
    Anyhow, in case they do about this problem, let us know if they will fix it or
    if they provide a way to fix it yourself.

Good luck. :)

9. Italtony

Hi Eldar,

I have received my first assistance regarding this issue so I am pleased that help on this occasion was forthcoming, however what I was asked to do by the technical support team did not resolve this issue so I have re-opened the ticket in question with hope that they will assist me further.

Will Keep you guys posted on the outcome until resolved of course.

ANTonio.

10. Eldar

Eldar Registered Member

:thumb: Thanks ANTonio for letting us know.

11. Italtony

Hi Eldar,

Just to now finally confirm the final response regarding this issue from the Spyware Doctor support team. This new problem is apparantly already known to the programmers at Spyware Doctor and they are working on a new fix to correct the problem which should be amended with a download to follow shortly and that I should keep on checking for the updates for this issue to eventually be resolved.

ANTonio.

12. Eldar

Eldar Registered Member

Hey, hey, some :thumb: news after all ANTonio.
    Thanks for the follow-up.
    Hope it won't be too long for them to provide this fix.

Take care. ;)

13. Italtony

Hi Guys,

This is just some information I received today in respect of this problem so I guess it's a question of "Wait" or "Uninstall" you decide....
    --------------------------------------------------------
    In regards to your query, our development team is working hard on this issue, however we cannot provide a time period when th issue will be resolved. The tool in question is a part of the Startup scanner. The Startup scanner is experiencing problems with accessing some of the data files it needs to run.

If you wish to revert back to Spyware Doctor version 3.2.2, you can try uninstalling the current version and reinstalling the previous version from the old installation file.
    ----------------------------------------------------------

Antonio.

14. ChrisBrown

ChrisBrown Registered Member

Hi Antonio

I have just found your posts, as I am having exactly the same problems with Spyware Doctor, again having upgraded from 3.2 to 3.5.

It is now August. Your posts were in February. The response I have received from PC Tools said:

"I do apologize for the difficulties that you are experiencing with your computer.

The problem that you are experiencing is a new known issue with Spyware Doctor. Our development team is currently aware of this issue and are working on resolving the problem shortly.

This is just a quick note to let you know that we have now escalated this query to a Technical Support Representative.

At this stage it is not possible to give a precise time frame regarding a resolution for your problem. Due to the fact new variants of spyware/adware are released to the internet everyday it may take some days to research which variant you have and the most applicable resolution. A Technical Support Representative will be addressing your request as a matter of high priority."

It sounds to me like a fairly standard response. I am particularly concerned to note that they have been aware of this problem for the past 6 months yet done nothing about it.

I certainly won't be renewing my subscription when it expires in October unless this bug is fixed urgently!

Chris

15. Consoleman

Consoleman Registered Member

I think Spyware Doctor 3.5 is bit too old, they have 4.0.0.2603 now. :shifty:

SD 3.5 was the first AntiSpy from PC Tools that had kernel built in something that Spysweeper & Windows defender have which may cause conflicts if runs together.

For error message 'Error in dll.Scan_Start: Invalid data type for 'ShowLOMControl' during the Spyware Doctor scan stopping at C:/windows/system32/mwsock.dll

You guys should know you still could complete the scan if you click OK to closed error.

I have done some search on 'ShowLOMControl' it's belongs to startup item for LAN on Motherboard (http://www.castlecops.com/s12892-No_file_name.html) belongs to some DELL machines.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.