New SKPF 4.3.635 Released

Discussion in 'other firewalls' started by Beavenburt, Feb 21, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Beavenburt

Beavenburt Registered Member

2. QBgreen

QBgreen Registered Member

I'm running it right now, literally just installed. Installation went smoothly, running very well alongside my other security apps. Will report more later.

3. Bluenile

Bluenile Registered Member

Working nicely here, a good free option in my opinion which seems to give better protection for the average PC user than Zonealarm free, and less demanding than Comodo to set up.

Last edited: Feb 26, 2007
  4. QBgreen

Today is the fifth day running this (paid) version of SBKPF. I've had absolutely no issues with it. :thumb: I'm running it alongside AntiVir PE Premium, BOClean, and Primary Response SafeConnect. I haven't done any leak testing, but I don't consider that a major issue. So far, well done Sunbelt.

5. Pedro

Pedro Registered Member

OK OK i'll try it:)

6. waters

waters Registered Member

Are rules easy to add for programs like utorrent.How lite is it

7. pcalvert

pcalvert Registered Member

How RAM-hungry is it?

Phil

8. Huwge

Huwge Registered Member

The updater isnt working from within SKPF :'(

9. QBgreen

Which version are you updating from?

10. Bluenile

It's using around 29Mb here

11. duke1959

duke1959 Very Frequent Poster

Can anyone explain the Application Behavior Blocking feature? I understand that it helps with malware prevention, but I'm not sure how or why it does. Thanks.

12. Access Denied

Access Denied Registered Member

It keeps causing my Firefox to hang while loading pages. o_O I installed it clean, no update. Exiting SKPF stops the problem. :mad:

13. Bluenile

Using it with Firefox v2.0.0.2 here with no problems whatsoever.

14. bugsy_pal

bugsy_pal Registered Member

I'd be interested to see if the stated improvements in stability with this version results in fewer or no BSODs. I used to get BSODs running KPF 4.3, which led me to abandon it and try other firewalls. I still think it's a very good firewall with a great interface, and would go back to it if stability was proven to be improved.

15. KDNeese

KDNeese Registered Member

Behavior blocking is similar to the HIPS feature in something like Spyware Terminator, etc or SSM (similar, but not the same, nor as comprehensive). For example, it works similar to SSM in that it asks permission for unknown apps to start. It also monitors changes in programs (like, say, an update that changes the MD5 sig) and notifies you that it is not the same program it was, etc. For example, when updating Firefox, the next time I started FF Kerio would block it and advise me "Firefox is not the same application as the program with the same name" blah blah blah. In a sense it monitors parent-child program relationships, though not nearly to the extent of a regular HIPS such as SSM, DSA, etc. Word of warning, though, is that Kerio is pretty resource intensive compared to how it used to be. 29 MB is pretty heavy for a firewall, IMO, especially since Comodo only takes up around 7-9MB total on my machine.

16. Bluenile

The new version of Zonealarm free: v7.0.302.000 was causing me random BSOD's so I ended up trying several others: Comodo, Jetico, PC tools etc.. including Kerio. This is my favourite so far, ok, it uses around 30Mb of RAM but I've normally got 400Mb spare so it's not a problem. The level of outgoing protection seems much better than ZA free.

17. Stem

Stem Firewall Expert

Question:

Is anyone using this firewall with the advanced rules(per app) or is everyone simply using this as an application firewall?

18. Bluenile

Application firewall here. (Passes on Shields Up and all other leak tests I've tried though such as tooleaky http://tooleaky.zensoft.com/ )

19. QBgreen

A combination of the two.

20. Access Denied

Definitely just app based. I got rid of Comodo b/c of it kept asking me about Firfox every time it was launched from another app. :'(

21. Huwge

Huwge Registered Member

Im on version 4.3.268 and it wont update

22. duke1959

Hey all you Sunbelt Kerio Firewall users out there I have a question for you. Are the NIPS and Application Behavior Blocking features in SKPF necessary for malware prevention, and if so how good are they at it? I miss using the latest free version of this Firewall, and although it did use over 30MB of memory it didn't seem to slow my PC down at all. I am thinking of using it again for its NIPS and Application Behavior Blocking features if they truly are effective at preveneting malware. I will use Cyberhawk for the HIPS as I'm aware this is not enabled in the freeware version, and let Firefox take care of most of what the Web Guard does. Thanks in advanced.

Last edited: Mar 8, 2007
  23. Access Denied

just dumped SBKF because of similar prompts. Its ignorant to ask for an app to access the internet more than once. :mad:

24. duke1959

Hey all you Sunbelt Kerio Firewall users out there, should I install it after that last post?

25. bugsy_pal

bugsy_pal Registered Member

It's a good product - give it a go. I had occasional BSODS with earlier versions, but they were rare and I liked the program a lot. I didn't find that there were too many application popups. However, you might want to turn off the feature that monitors applications launching other applications - I found that there were too many popups with that and it had nothing to do with an pplication was trying to access the internet. With that switched off, the firewall ran very unobtrusively.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.