New Security Tool

Discussion in 'other anti-malware software' started by Rico, May 12, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Rico

Rico Registered Member

2. the Tester

the Tester Registered Member

Anyone know what antivirus Blink uses in the Personal edition?

3. Chuck57

Chuck57 Registered Member

Blink uses Norman antivirus. I've been running the free Blink Personal for a while and like it a lot. In fact, I've kept it on my computer longer than any other security software except for PowerShadow.

I'm very happy with it. I had a problem with it allowing my printer and at least for me, their support was quick to reply too, which I liked.

4. EASTER.2010

EASTER.2010 Guest

As taken from authors site:

5. besafe

besafe Registered Member

I don't use thje product, but ont heir website NORMAN is listed as a business partner. So I am assuming it si the Norman AV scan engine.

6. ErikAlbert

ErikAlbert Registered Member

New Security Tool ? Somehow I remember that name eEye, quite some time ago.
    But that doesn't matter. eEye seems to be a blacklist software and that's a pity.

7. Rico

Rico Registered Member

Hi Guys,

Yes it goes:

eEye eEye Oh Old MacDon...

Look who's touting it though, Gibson is a heavy hitter, in security. Should count fo something.

Take Care
    Rico

8. lucas1985

lucas1985 Retired Moderator

No, eEye is a HIPS (behaviour-based and firewall) with blacklist. It is similar to Prevx in some aspects.

9. EASTER.2010

EASTER.2010 Guest

Not to insinuate anything here by this but if he is such a PRESENT heavy hitter in the security realm i wonder why he is not as equally inclined to advocate support for other HIPS.

Hmmm, one has to wonder about that and the tendency also to appear complacent to single dimensional thinking only.

Of course marketeers everywhere fit in some category.:cool:

10. Rico

Rico Registered Member

Hi EASTER.2010,

Very gentle reply to your last post. Seems a little unfair. I've used GRC.com in the past + some of his applets. His claim to fame, I believe is, he's the author of 'Spinrite.' While listening to the radio, he was advocating, eEye as a find, not a general discussion on security. Also it did not appear, they were advocating the product for financial gain.

Take Care
    Rico

11. ErikAlbert

ErikAlbert Registered Member

That's why I ditched Prevx too, although I like Prevx's concept, but I'm trying to live without any blacklist software and I will see how bad e-life is without them.

12. EASTER.2010

EASTER.2010 Guest

I have SpinRite and indeed is a good program as it should be since so many years he spent perfecting it. I know it might come off as suspicion on my part but these days unless theres something monetary to be gained i question singling out one program of this type when there are others who can lay claim to the same results if not even more so. I have no problem with it seeming unfair since it can be taken as a little unfair also to EXCLUDE other dependable HIPS who been even more relentless in those efforts to create a solid protection app for us all. System Safety Monitor springs to mind immediately as one of those.

13. Rico

Rico Registered Member

Hi EASTER.2010,

Keeping in mind, the platform used to recommend this app., it would be the death of Laportes (or last time Gibson would be a guest) radio show, should he recommend SSM. SSM is way to complicated for the target audience. I also have Spinrite, & it's great.

Take Care Amigo
    Rico

14. duke1959

duke1959 Very Frequent Poster

Using Blink Neighborhood Watch and Avira Free or AOL AVS would be just as good if not better than the Personal Edition wouldn't it?

15. EASTER.2010

EASTER.2010 Guest

I see. I almost forgot that it's far easier for most Wilder's members to adhere more quickly to something as "complicated" as System Safety Monitor where then their target audience is probably better suited for something more safe & simpler as Ad-Aware. :D

16. Rico

Rico Registered Member

Hi Easter.2010,

Of course SSM is very appropriate discussion here at Wilders. However Gibson was speaking to Laportes 'radio' audience, which is not on the same level, security wise, as the folks here. I was only trying to pass along/share information here. From some of the posts here, the app seems, fairly decent & worthy of consideration. Also perhaps I should have said IMHO Gibson is a heavy hitter in security. By the way I have a license & previously used SSM & removed it, in favor of Prevx1.

Take Care Amigo
    Rico

17. EASTER.2010

EASTER.2010 Guest

Good for you. Everyone has Freedom to choose what they perceive best suited for their own system's safety.

Mine happens to reside in my signature below and serves my units very well indeed!

No one will get any argument out of me to Prevx1's ability since i've experienced it first hand for myself and was equally impressed with the results. However, i absolutely refuse for ANY program to have to maintain a constant connection to a website in order for it to review AND conclude it's determinations if a file or program might be rendered a threat or not.

I made that point very clear and others share the same sentiments along that same line. If and when they ever offer a CHOICE to also allow a customer to update to our own machine's Prevx1's database WITHOUT need for such ongoing internet tethering, i would be all too satisfied to welcome it as another addition to security. Untill then it's a no go.

18. Meriadoc

Meriadoc Registered Member

Steve knows all about eEye, the packet sniffer he wrote about on grc that eEye sell and through contact for their vulnerability assessments. As for a 'security guru' he's made the odd mistake in my opinion, although Spinrite which I do have and use is his best work, an excellent tool.
    As for eEye looks a good offer, here's a previous thread Anyone try Blink® Personal Edition?

19. Nuke

Nuke Registered Member

Leo Laporte convinced me to try Nod32 and I have no regrets. I will listen to the Security Now podcast tomorrow and I decided to try PodZinger just to get a sense of things. I was thinking of trying this software on one of my Windows machines and I really hope it is not bloatware because I use DNS 9 Pro to dictate.

20. Hipgnosis

Hipgnosis Registered Member

Just curious, but why does there need to be a monetary gain, or some other diabolical reason for someone such as Steve Gibson to recommend a single product? Maybe he recommended it simply because it is a product he has used, or uses, and believes in. People in general tend to recommend products and services they are familiar with and have had good results with. It's quite possible he doesn't have that relationship with SSM. Or it could be a multitude of other reasons. SSM is a good product, but so are eEye products. eEye also has a very impressive client list so they must be doing something right. I didn't hear the show in question but maybe there simply wasn't enough time to do a product comparison or discuss several products.

I personally don't have an issue with Steve Gibson or anyone recommending or singling out one product over others, if it's a sound recommendation. You have products you use and recommend just as I do. Like I said, SSM is a good product and I used it for awhile but it wasn't my cup of tea. On the other hand, I have been using eEye on one of my systems for about three months now and am very happy with it. Would I recommend it?...yes. Would I recommend SSM?...yes. But at the end of the day it will be up to the individual user whether or not they try, and use, those or find another product that better fits their individual needs.

Or I could be completely wrong and Gibson got paid a handsome sum to endorse eEye :D

21. EASTER.2010

EASTER.2010 Guest

OK, go ahead and flog me for my OT comment, i deserve that. :doubt:

I guess i do jump the wagon sometimes where it concerns favoritism. But if i was in the public eye i would want to at least bring some attention howbeit brief mention, to other quality developments as well which are available and not just focus on a single entity, unless of course it was by design for endorsement purposes. I feel the public is been left blind far too long where it concerns PC security programs and would like for most to see they are never confined to single choices alone but rather theres almost a glut of quality security programs available for them to explore about on their own machines. Spread the good news is my motto.

22. Hipgnosis

Hipgnosis Registered Member

No flogging forthcoming :) My post was never meant as such.

I agree there are many security products the general public never hear about. Too many people think that Symantec and McAfee are the only PC security companies. As a result of Steve promoting eEye at least some people now know about another product, and maybe they will start expanding their horizons and learn about the many other options available to them.

23. Nuke

Nuke Registered Member

Today I listened to the Security Now podcast. It sounded to me as though Steve Gibson will be using and recommending Blink. It seemed to me that Leo Laporte has not made up his mind about this software. I think Steve and maybe Leo should have tested/used this software before they did the podcast and had MARC MAIFFRET of eEye on their show. With that said, I see no reason why someone should not use or try the free version of Blink.

I think I will try Blink on one of my computer's.

Dictated using Dragon NaturallySpeaking 9.0 Pro.

24. EASTER.2010

EASTER.2010 Guest

Good program!

As for EeyeBlink it's behind the times, others are already far ahead in this field.

25. Nuke

Nuke Registered Member

Easter, I concur.

I am behind a Nat router along with using Windows XP built-in firewall. I have the run-of-the-mill anti-spyware programs on my computer's. Two PCs have Nod32 and the others have AVG Free Edition and a couple with (minor mistake) Windows Live OneCare. I don't recall ever having a virus or Trojan but most people get into trouble because of their behavior on the net. I need an antivirus that is light weight and will not conflict with Dragon NaturallySpeaking.

What antivirus do you recommend for people who use DNS?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.