New Section Time?

Discussion in 'Forum Related Discussions' started by whitedragon551, Feb 11, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. whitedragon551

whitedragon551 Registered Member

As of a few days ago I ventured into my first Android based cellular experience.

I was browsing the Android Marketplace for applications and came across Dr Web, AVG, etc. antivirus scanners.

I was thinking perhaps with the latest Windows 7, Android, Apple OSes we could implement a mobile phone security section. Id love to find more out about the Android security and what better place than Wilders Security where we do nothing but eat, breathe, and sleep security software.

2. CloneRanger

CloneRanger Registered Member

I don't have any phones such as that ;) but it sounds like a good idea for those that do :thumb: Suprised nobody else has pitched in o_O

3. Dermot7

Dermot7 Registered Member

4. whitedragon551

Perhaps we dont have the population for this?

5. silentfornow

silentfornow Registered Member

Using the Webroot version myself. I tried quite a few others out there. Trend's is not bad, but I like the Webroot version better.

There seems to be no real standard feature set out there, and no real pricing standard. From a few bucks to PC prices.

Norton's looks nice, but does not give much in features, and only for a 100 days, then what?

Lookout is the most mature, and they have a great looking portal, but I still keep coming back to the Webroot app.

6 months from now, I have to wonder where the development will be at, and according to Netqin there are quite a few malware samples out there. (Chinese app)

added:
    I use the Samsung GalaxyS. :)

6. whitedragon551

Good info. I use the HTC incredible myself.

7. silentfornow

By the way, netqin has a list of malware for all supported mobile OPs. Interesting. I have yet to pull some of the malware apart, but there is a new(ish) one out there called ADRD.

So it seems the "fashion" is to repack legit apps, with additional code. I think AegisLab found it, but I could be wrong.

With mobile smartphones taking over PC sales, this is definitely the new frontier for malware gangs.

8. whitedragon551

I just found a give away for Dr Web Mobile Security. Its for 1 year free. I grabbed it for my Android and so far its got a great interface. I have yet to test a scan and see how it affects battery life.

9. silentfornow

DrWeb has a good reputation, but I don't see the big draw so far for the mobile app. It scans, and can block sms/unknown number, but then so do alot of other security apps out there.
    Like I said, the security app I use (for now) has those features and more.

Something I noticed about the many I have tried out, is that each app has their own naming convention for their features, which pretty much do the same thing.

Also there seems to be apps for just about everything (almost ;) ) but just as in PC security products, I want to have one solution. Hell my battery lasts one day as it is for my phone, if I use 10 products to do what one can do, them bye bye battery :)

10. whitedragon551

Anyone else besides me and silentfornow use an Android based smart phone?

11. LowWaterMark

LowWaterMark Administrator

In order for a new section to be created here at WSF, there needs to "already" be a volume of posts that makes itself clear in the general forum sections. We don't create new sections "on spec". There are sections available already for people who want to talk hardware or more specifically, cellphone technology.

When there is enough specific volume, then and only then will a new section be created.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.