New Safe’n’Sec Pro

Discussion in 'other anti-malware software' started by Chubb, May 17, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Chubb

Chubb Registered Member

New Safe’n’Sec Pro

http://www.safensoft.com/antivirus.phtml?c=83&id=1167

http://www.safensoft.com/safensec/virus_protection/

2. lu_chin

lu_chin Registered Member

Hi Chubb, thanks for the info. Do you know if there are any upgrade paths for current SNS owners?

After reading through the mentioned webpages, I was a bit confused about whether SNS Pro's new features would be ported to other current flavors of SNS or not. I did not see SNS Pro containing the anti-virus and/or anti-spyware functions as in the current SNS 2.5, so moving from my SNS AV+ to SNS Pro would seem both a step forward and a step backward.

3. bellgamin

bellgamin Registered Member

I hope Kees (or someone else with savvy) gives this *new* version a spin. Is it truly improved, I wonder, or is *Pro* just a sexier sounding brand name for same-o same-o (a la WinME).

4. Chubb

Chubb Registered Member

Me too, I was a bit confused, because it didn't mention about whether the protection for virus, worms are HIPS + signature based. And there is no upgrade path mentioned. I think SNS Pro's would be 3.0. They should provide a comparison chart for easy reference.

5. ErikAlbert

ErikAlbert Registered Member

Is this a blacklist software ?

6. BlueZannetti

BlueZannetti Registered Member

I tried, but the trial wouldn't start, even with a couple of reinstall attempts.

Blue

7. koreanmark

koreanmark Registered Member

sounds good. I will have a try now, thanks.

8. bellgamin

SnS can be purchased in several packages. Some of those packages include antivirus components, such as BitDefender or DrWeb -- those components are obviously blacklist+heuristic.

However, SnS itself is primarily a behavior blocker - a member of the HIPS family. Therefore, those packages (SnS-Pro & SnS-Deluxe) which do NOT include an antivirus or antispyware component are primarily behavior-analyzing HIPS.

SnS was tested by AV-Comp a while ago, & was found to be very good indeed -- superior to Prevx (at that time), in fact.

9. Huwge

Huwge Registered Member

Wonder if this is competition for Prevx2. I'm using Prevx at the moment but a comparison of the two would be really interesting

10. Kaelthas

Kaelthas Registered Member

Hi,
    Well I use the latest SNS Pro 3.0.0.3472 .After I installed it,it tells me that" string error,Can not load"in the console .When I click "setting", SNS will crash and call for Doctor Waston----The same problem as BETA.

There are a lot improvements in the new version:detect Global hook,write protection for File,Proctected Zone for applications,set action time and accounts
    ,and leaning mode.I believe it will make newbies feel easier .But it is still a classic HIPS --you may need a stand alone Classic AV as well.

I suggest you guys DO NOT use the new version untill they solve the problem.
    --I heard that Russian Version DO NOT has such a kind of problem.I have emailed to the team even when BETA---NO Reply....

Anyone comfirms?

My test environment: Windows XP pro Sp2 English right after Setup (No any AV AS HIPS Etc) SO it is not my systems problem.

11. BlueZannetti

BlueZannetti Registered Member

I saw the various string errors, couldn't get to the console, I did not have any crashes, but I couldn't activate either. Let's just say there are multiple problems, so be prepared if you wish to try.

Blue

12. lu_chin

From the pricing alone, SNS Pro is actually cheaper than the other flavors and except for the new improvements I think that SNS Pro is like a "basic" version of SNS. However, the other current flavors of SNS do not contain such HIPS improvements and I do hope that updates in the near future will incorporate them.

13. ErikAlbert

ErikAlbert Registered Member

Thanks for the info. In that case I'm only interested in SnS as a behavior blocker, not the blacklist part. :)

14. aigle

aigle Registered Member

SnS to me is more of a classical HIPS rather than a behav blocker. It gives a lot of popups comprared to CH and PRSC which are far better behav blocker in my opinion( ignoring some other bugs in them).

15. bellgamin

If it wasn't for updating my AV signatures, reading Wilders forum, & feeding my dog, I wouldn't have much to keep me occupied during the day. :D

By the way, the AV modules of SnS are on-demand only, as I recall. The only real-time monitor in any SnS package is SnS itself. Ergo, if the SnS monitor spots something suspicious, it enables you to automatically send the suspect process over to the built-in AV for scanning. This is a nice capability if SnS is to be run on a novice's computer.

You may be right. I'm still hoping that someone has better luck than BlueZ in installing this new SnS so as to give it a trial.

One thing I have noted is that the *SnS team* is VERY good at packaging their product, marketing it, and keeping it up-to-date. Their astuteness is further demonstrated by their soliciting AV-Comp to test their program's effectiveness. Their Rhino logo also is superbly done, and further demonstrates that this is an extremely well-managed organization.

The fact that SnS has been tested-&-proven, & that it manifests solid business management abilities, convinces me that SnS is one of the very few HIPS that I expect will grow & prosper over the long-run.

16. Kees1958

Kees1958 Registered Member

Bellgamin,

Thx for the credits. Friends and family were going to some stormy passage in their lives, which requires some assistance and taking care off.

The weather in the Netherlands is also getting better (can't beat Hawai off course). Although an old fox, I have two motorbikes (one old timer and a one which I race occasionally).

So I have to pass on this one, sorry

Regards K

17. bellgamin

The older the fiddle, the sweeter the tune.;)

18. Blackcat

Blackcat Registered Member

Re: New Safe’n’Sec Pro

I had big problems with their past versions, particularly frequent "freezes", so it seems like their stability problems have not improved.

19. simmikie

simmikie Registered Member

Re: New Safe’n’Sec Pro

i used 2.5 i belive is the version number. measured light, faired okay in malware testing. big downer for me was support unresponsiveness. emailed a couple of questions that went unanswered, and i beta tested their new rootkit tool which BSOD often, no response to inquiries for that either.

otherwise ver 2.5 seemed to be a decent offering.

Mike

20. lu_chin

I also beta tested and used v2.5 and the antiroot tool on one PC. I thought its protection of Windows' system files was very good but I also agreed that support was rather lacking. An active forum would be a nice help.

21. andylau

andylau Registered Member

22. romko

romko Registered Member

As I know last build on safensoft site was fixed today.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.