New RollBack Rx version released!

Discussion in 'backup, imaging & disk mgmt' started by Heco, Sep 12, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Heco

Heco Registered Member

Build 2691131407 - September 12th 2006
    http://www.horizondatasys.com/page.aspx?id=172151

Release note:
    "What’s Fixed:
    Here’s what’s fixed in this release of Rollback Rx:

Fixed: "Rollback won't install problem on systems with 2Gb or more memory".
    Fixed a pagefile stepping over bad sectors problem, which could potentially cause a CHKDSK issue.
    Fixed a uninstall and save current system - overflow memory buffer issue.
    Fixed the NT blue screen issue caused by multiple page files on more than 2 partitions.
    Fixed the uninstall issue caused by Rollback’s been installed on more than 2 hard disks in the same system.
    Removed some of the “error-like” warning messages in the subsystem. No user intervention is needed when such warning pops up.
    Fixed the subsystem display issues.
    Fixed the current snapshot defrag might delete Windows cache bug.

What’s New:
    Here’s what’s new in this release of Rollback Rx: Build 2691131407:

Implemented command line switch for uninstall Rollback Rx from batch files.
    Added a program setting to allow users to change the subsystem hotkey from HOME to other keys. (support for intl keyboards).
    Added the "suspend" feature to "Reboot to Restore" schedules. This is a feature requested by Rollback Rx's educational admins. They have Rollback Rx set on Restore by Restart but needed to perform Windows update from at set times on a particular day of the week. Windows update may need to restart the PCs in the process. With this suspend feature, they can create Restore on Restart schedule with suspending the task from say 3:00pm to 4:00pm. That will provide a chance to apply certain Windows updates.
    Change the space display info on Snapshot properties. It's a suggestion by several Rollback Rx home users.
    Added snapshot size column to the view snapshot screen, it makes easier to see the snapshot sizes.
    Added a progress bar to snapshot browsing feature.
    Added a program setting to automatically delete unlocked snapshots when disk space is running low.
    Added a compatibility check for crossed partitions during setup. If detected, setup won’t continue.
    Added system resource check before running hourly snapshot defrag. If the system resource is at “busy” state, the hourly defrag will skip until the system returns to idle state.
    Integrated Rollback driver support with disk defragmenter utilities.
    Added logging to the product activation process, the log file “netmsg.tx” is created in the program installation directory after running product activation.

.. this post is dedicated to Peter2150..ROFL
    Cheers;) ,
    Hervé

2. aigle

aigle Registered Member

Hi, anybody tried the new version? BTW I am not having any major issues with preious vrsion.

3. MaB69

MaB69 Registered Member

Thanks Hervé for your post ;)

@aigle : will give you some feedback later

4. Longboard

Longboard Registered Member

Will there be afree upgrade for those who got burned previously and put it in the "NOT READY FOR PRIME TIME" box

I think I remember where that key was.......

60,000 snapshots: that list will take me a while to scroll through !

5. ErikAlbert

ErikAlbert Registered Member

LOL @ 60,000 snapshots = 120 books of 500 pages; quite a library. :D

6. pvsurfer

pvsurfer Registered Member

I d/l and installed it this morning and so far all is working well (for that matter, I didn't have problems with the prior build). :thumb:

Btw, before installing this new build, you have to uninstall your current build!

7. Kapiti

Kapiti Registered Member

After uninstalling/reinstalling did you need to reactivate?

John.

8. pvsurfer

Yes, I had to reactivate after entering my key-code, but it went smoothly.

9. pvsurfer

Hervé (and others), I don't know if the above is a typo or what, but the newest Rollback build is: 2691248141

10. Longboard

Longboard Registered Member

Sorry that was a bit rude
    Still a bit browned off by previous experience.
    Good to see they are still a going concern and still developing.
    I had really high hopes for this utility, but for me it all got a bit fraught with various difficulties> Good luck you guys.

11. starfish_001

starfish_001 Registered Member

The last version was much better for me - hard reboot / checkdisk problem mostly fixed - I hope this version is better again

Activation worked smoothly for a change

12. Heco

Heco Registered Member

Hi all :) ,
    @ pvsurfer:
    Hello, you are right. After checking back the HDS site today... the latest build is 2691248141... But YESTERDAY the version displayed was 2691131407. I assume HDS has changed the number AFTER my post.;)
    @ Longboard:
    No problem for your first post and thank you for the second one:D .
    Cheers,
    Hervé

13. hsj

hsj Registered Member

I am also running build 2691248141 since this evening and everything seems to be fine. Thanks for the update.

14. aigle

aigle Registered Member

It,s realy so bad to loose all ur snapshots except one while uninstalling RollBackRx.

15. ErikAlbert

That's why I keep on using FDISR. Space and speed seems to be the only advantage of RollbackRx. I need MORE functions, not more space and speed.
    Even FDISR is missing functions, I hope the new release is a big improvement.

16. aigle

aigle Registered Member

Speed is much imp to me, and space also as my laptop has only 40 GB and my system partition 12GB.

like what?

17. ErikAlbert

Read the wishlist of FDISR. :)

18. ErikAlbert

If space and speed are such a problem on your laptop, I would follow this thread, where members try to make Windows smaller in volume, using nLite.
    https://www.wilderssecurity.com/showthread.php?t=146777

19. aigle

aigle Registered Member

Thanks for that. I was just referring to comparison of RollBack and FDISR. Still I am using only 50% of my C partition with about 4 snapshots.
    I still have three more artitions mostly unoccupied.
    nLite looks difficult for me as I am not an expert and I install a lot of software just to play around so i can,t risk of loosing any funtionality of XP.

20. ErikAlbert

I understand and I'm not an expert either.
    My original plan with nLite was to create a new updated WinXPproSP2 Install CD, because "Windows Update" installs already 69 patches after the original installation and I would like to update WinXPproSP2 OFF-LINE.
    The volume doesn't get smaller this way of course, on the contrary the volume increases with all these integrated patches.
    The problem is that nLite also can be used for removal of components, tweaking, ... and that is quite seducing and risky at the same time.
    How far can I go without getting in trouble ? That's the problem and if it doesn't work, I can start all over again. So I have to think about this.

21. aigle

aigle Registered Member

For me it wil be to start from a scratch, so I prefer to go along as I am now.
    I don,t have any attraction to cut down my system a long as it is not hurting the speed and performance.

Edit: I will stop here now as it,s totally going OT.

Last edited: Sep 15, 2006
  22. nexstar

nexstar Registered Member

Yes, I felt that this was a bit disappointing for software that gives you so much flexibility:(

So, I asked them why and they said:

"This update addressed some memory compatibility issues. We had customers repored they couldn't setup Rollback on some HP PCs with more than 1GB memory. If your Rollback is working fine, you don't really need to update it.
    Because it's really the same version (7.2.1) with different build number, we cannot upgrade the program. We had to uninstall and reinstall. If it's different version number, we should be able to just upgrade it. We are working on a module to retain all snapshots during upgrade. Thanks."

23. aigle

aigle Registered Member

Thanks for the info.

24. niteghost

niteghost Registered Member

Been using Rollback Rx [ new version ] for a couple of weeks now. Really like it compare to FDSIR. The only "annoyance" I find is
    1. Cannot activate my Hibernate feature on my PC
    2. Extremely "slow" startup, about 2 minutes slowdown , especially getting to the Desktop [ I have a P4 3.0 HT with 1 GIg of Memory]

any ideas?

25. ErikAlbert

What is better in RollbackRx than FDISR ?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.