New Research Says Chrome Browser "Most Secured" Against Attacks

Discussion in 'other security issues & news' started by lotuseclat79, Dec 9, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. vasa1

vasa1 Registered Member

This is a rare occasion that had you groping for words!

2. Daveski17

Daveski17 Registered Member

I must be slipping, I've not been too well of late. ;)

3. vasa1

vasa1 Registered Member

Nope. Just Privoxy.

4. Daveski17

Looks good.

5. Hungry Man

Hungry Man Registered Member

The domain list was lacking. I would really like another test besides NSS Labs or some Google funded project to show us the truth because the numbers we're seeing are so contrasting.

Hopefully something like this comes out.

I fully understand - not everyone needs to have random compsec stuff memorized =p

It's a bit more than plausibility. As I said, the motivations and conclusions may be bias but the information is really important to point out.

And that's an entirely fair conclusion =p I only wanted to make sure that this article wasn't overlooked entirely because I really do like how it's written and put together. There's a lot of great information in that article.

6. Daveski17

How so?

A lot of things are really important to point out: Playing with fire is dangerous. Water & electricity don't mix well. Don't run with scissors. Never eat yellow snow etc.

The only reason to make a case for Firefox having lacking security by Google is to spread FUD. It is propaganda dressed up as information. As with all good propaganda, there is information, truth, half-truth, obfuscation, omission & other forms of tendentious sleight of hand.

7. Hungry Man

Because there's no way to twist "Yes it supports this" only the conclusions that arise from that. Whether Google is being evil or not doesn't change that the research is legitimate.

So the problem is that they're pointing it out? Or pointing out the obvious? Or what?

8. J_L

J_L Registered Member

I thought Firefox had a bit of plug-in security, because they're in a separate process? Anyhow, looks worthy to read.

9. Daveski17

You're just not getting this; it's precisely because the research has a legitimacy that makes it FUD.

Wow! You're either trolling me now or you really just don't see this as propaganda LOL! ;)

Maybe it's just my natural British cynicism, as I've stated earlier, this is just business to Google. I wouldn't say it was Dr Evil 'evil', but it wouldn't surprise me if Mr Bigglesworth didn't have a hand (or paw) in it somewhere.

10. vasa1

vasa1 Registered Member

Dostoevsky too boring? ;)

Chrome doesn't figure here :(

Edit: and I'm not Bobro

11. Daveski17

Dostoyevsky is never boring.

I think that your Borgle implants are starting to chafe a little. ;)

Neither am I. :cool:

12. tlu

tlu Guest

Researchers accuse Google of plotting to undercut Firefox: NSS Labs argues 'Chrome-is-most-secured-browser' report is part of campaign to trim Firefox's share

The NSS Labs report is available here.

13. Daveski17

14. vasa1

vasa1 Registered Member

NSS Labs ... wasn't this the same one that showed that IE9 was miles ahead on some parameter or the other?

15. Daveski17

Probably. IE 9 is kilometres ahead in some things though I think.

16. tlu

tlu Guest

Well, that's mentioned on page 1 of the article:

17. vasa1

vasa1 Registered Member

If they plan to re-invent themselves as a neutral and objective body, they could share more than "There's a reason why we don't do that anymore."

18. Hungry Man

Yeah, I'm definitely not getting how you can turn fact into FUD.

19. Daveski17

To use an analogy: Global terrorism is a fact. Various governments utilise that fact to introduce policies & laws by introducing fear, uncertainty & doubt in their dialogues about the terror situation. If there was no fear, uncertainty or doubt amongst the general population about terrorism the techniques used by governments would not have any real efficacy.

This is no different, you just choose not to view it that way. That's fine, reality is an ontological subjectivity. There are other, less eloquent terms for this attitude however.

20. Hungry Man

Global terrorism is a fact. The governments provide the conclusion that they need to "protect us" etc etc.

So yes, the report could be used to purport fear that some users are vulnerable more vulnerable than others. But if you're interested in security you put their conclusions aside and make the decision yourself.

Take the article as you will - I think there's a big difference between Global Terrorism: Government and this article.

EDIT: The reason being, with terrorism you have the government saying "You are in danger and youmust submit."

With this research it's not saying "Firefox is the worst browser, use Chrome" it's saying "By this methodology Chrome is the most secure browser." There is no one saying "Use Chrome or you'll be infected" or "Chrome is the fastest" or "Chrome has the best extensions" or whatever. It's a lot more journalistic.

But whether it's FUD or not, and I can see it as such, the information in it is really interesting.

Last edited: Dec 15, 2011
  21. Daveski17

I think that the analogy is cogent, if on a different scale.

LOL! It's in the subtext. There's no way you can justify this as merely information.

That's why it's such effective FUD.

22. Hungry Man

You can't not read it and then say that it's not just information.

23. Daveski17

I've skimmed as much as I can understand. I do understand why it was published, you however are seriously in denial. I don't know why.

24. Hungry Man

The vast majority of the report is cold journalistic information. The abstract/introduction and conclusions are not.

But almost every single page in it is pure information and nothing but information.

25. JRViejo

JRViejo Super Moderator

Removed Off Topic Post. Let's refrain from bringing in religion or politics into the discussion.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.