New release McAfee STINGER

Discussion in 'other anti-virus software' started by Tassie_Devils, Jul 27, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Tassie_Devils

Tassie_Devils Global Moderator

New version of standalone virus detection utility Stinger from McAfee released July 26. [Scans for latest 48 most common nasties]

http://vil.nai.com/vil/stinger/

TAS.

Attached Files:

• 008.GIF
      008.GIF
      File size:
      10.5 KB
      Views:
  2. ronjor

ronjor Global Moderator

McAfee Stinger is a handy tool to keep on hand to clean viruses. I believe it detects around 42 viruses at this time.
    I keep it on my computer as an extra bit of help and run it occasionally to watch the files fly by as they are being scanned.
    I had a problem a couple of days ago with the latest version of Stinger. It detected w32/sober in Firefox.exe. I was surprised to say the least.
    I ran my resident scanner and my on demand scanner. Nothing. I did a scan at Housecall online. Nothing.
    False positives can happen with any antivirus but I was still concerned.
    Blackspear made a suggestion to me that Stinger may have been a corrupted download.
    That was the correct answer. I downloaded Stinger once more and no more false positives.

I posted this in case anyone has a problem with any antivirus program. Sometimes a fresh download will cure the problem.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.