New program to pair with Avast Home?

Discussion in 'other anti-malware software' started by bgfalconboy, Jan 21, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. bgfalconboy

bgfalconboy Registered Member

A local computer guy near me said that Threatfire is almost an anti-virus and could cause some conflicts with Avast. I haven't noticed any but Avast was disabled by Online Armor which I have uninstalled. Was wondering if there was a better program out there than TF to use if this is true.

2. dcrowe0050

dcrowe0050 Registered Member

I have ran Avast Home with Online Armor, and Mamutu, but I am currently running it with the new DefenseWall Personal Firewall and HIPS and they are great together. Threatfire is built to run alongside regular AV's and compliment them as it is just a behavior based AV but I tried it a few weeks ago and had a few problems.

Prevx, Defensewall, Geswall, Sandboxie, MBAM, and just about any firewall will run great along side of avast.

3. Rain_Train

Rain_Train Registered Member

I am also considering running avast! v5 Free alongside Online Armor Free. (That way I get anti-malware, a firewall, and a HIPS!) However, bgfalconboy posted that "Avast was disabled by Online Armor". Does this mean they are incompatible o_O ? I'm referring to the latest versions of both programs: avast! Free v5 and Online Armor Free v4.

My OS is Windows 7 Home Premium 32-bit.

4. dcrowe0050

I ran avast 5 with the latest version of OA throughout the beta period and up until about two weeks ago with no problems at all. No conflicts they ran together flawlessly. My question is how do you know that Online Armor disabled avast? Not saying that it didn't but a few other people run this combo with no conflicts.

5. subset

subset Registered Member

There are currently a few files not automatically trusted by OA.
    These files should be trusted right after the installation.
    But this problem should be solved after a whitelist update.

I have tried avast Free with OA Free (XP) and OA ++ (7), but it wasn't disabled.

Cheers

6. bgfalconboy

bgfalconboy Registered Member

All I know is when I had my computer over at a guy house who fixes computers to take a look at a problem I was having , he noticed my Avast wasn't running like it should've been and when he disabled OA Avast started right up. I was running the most recent version of OA at the time and the most recent Avast as well. The guy I talked seemed to think software firewalls area overrated anyway and said that a router was better. He also seemed to think that Threatfire was a anti-virus of sorts possibly too, but since I've uninstalled OA , Avast has been running fine.

7. aigle

aigle Registered Member

Avast/ antivir plus ThreatFire, a great combo for novice users indeed.

8. aigle

aigle Registered Member

May be a conflict or just you need to make appropriate rules for Avast in OA( amrking it trusted in OA).

9. firzen771

firzen771 Registered Member

uisng OA and Avast myself, if u didnt trust Avast when installing/running/program updating then OBVIOUSLY OA will stop it from launching, thats its job. last time i updated Avast during beta OA wuld give me a popup at boot after the update telling me if i trust it and i just trusted it then it loaded fine.

10. dcrowe0050

Threatfire is an Antivirus but it is based on Behavior Analysis and was built and tested so that it run alongside of most traditional AV's and compliment them, thus adding a great deal of protection. It runs great with Avast.

About software firewalls being overrated; there are a bunch of different opinions on that and if you are behind a router all the time you probably do not need one, however, if you connect to any public access spots then I think you should definitely have a software firewall for the added protection.

In any case, their are a lot of good apps that will compliment Avast well so download some and trial them and pick the one that is the best fit to your hardware and system.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.