New Prevx "Safety Net" Software Assembles User Army

Discussion in 'privacy general' started by ronjor, Nov 5, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ronjor

ronjor Global Moderator

extremetech
    Comments?

2. thecrew

thecrew Guest

I just hope there won't be any conflicts with any other security programs like Process Guard or other security apps.

3. nadirah

nadirah Registered Member

I don't use prevx anyway, none of my business.

4. Infinity

Infinity Registered Member

uninstalled it regarding their policy.

5. rdsu

rdsu Registered Member

From the site posted by ronjor:
    I don't like to have any program sent information without my permission! :doubt:

6. bigc73542

bigc73542 Retired Moderator

Thats all we need, another program that phones home. :mad:

7. firefoxguy

firefoxguy Guest

User army? Sounds like some zombie bot swarm :)

8. still_longhorn

still_longhorn Registered Member

Spy vs. spy. Bah!

9. mountainman

mountainman Guest

Does anyone know if there will be some way to switch off the "phone home" feature?

10. puff-m-d

puff-m-d Registered Member

The only way I can see for it to be done is to have your FW block it. I will have to go back and check the EULA agreement but I think it states you have to let PrevX to call home and you agree to do that when you install. Another thing is if you block it calling home you will probably sacrifice your updates...

I check the EULA later when I get a chance...

11. chew

chew Registered Member

Hhmm ... I thought Prevx Version 1 hit the right spot and all they have to do is to do minor adjustment to it that's all ... but now they started bloating it ... hmmm ... I wonder if they are that detached from the end user?

hhmm ... don't they learn? They can't have it all.

A bit disappointed too ...

:doubt:

12. nadirah

nadirah Registered Member

BTW has anyone noticed that the prevx website has no privacy policy. I can't seem to find one there.

13. spy1

spy1 Registered Member

http://www1.prevx.com/privacy.asp

"Prevx Home is provided free of charge. In return your copy of Prevx Home will report attempted intrusion events (the Attack Data) to our central database anonymously. The Attack Data is anonymous and cannot be traced to you or your PC. We do not receive or record any personal data that can or will be used to identify you or your computer. We do not require or request your email address or any other personal details to identify you or your PC. The anonymity of the Attack Data has been audited separately by Andreas Fuchsberger of FACTS Enterprise Ltd, Royal Holloway, University of London. You can read the audit report in full by downloading this PDF. These explain the details of the Attack Data and the purpose to which it is put.

On receipt, the Attack Data is aggregated into our central database and used to produce general statistics on attacks, threats, their propagation and overall measures of the level of internet abuse and crime. We do not use it for any other purpose other than analyzing and publishing overall threat activity on the internet, researching threats, compiling statistics and to further refine and improve the performance of Prevx Home. You can view the statistics we produce and how this is used at [www.prevx.com/pathname]. PREVX compiles and supplies summary, near real time, threat statistics to commercial organizations from time to time in return for a subscription fee. If you do not wish to send your Attack Data to Prevx then simply uninstall the Prevx Home protection software.

The Zero Tolerance Alliance (ZTA)

Your Help

PREVX appreciates your help in contributing to the fight against Internet crime. This fight cannot be won without the help and collaboration of the end user community. Prevx believes this is essential if the Internet is to be saved from destruction by misuse and crime. Your Attack Data will play a part in helping with the effort to combat this. "

14. Meltdown

Meltdown Registered Member

I'd be interested in seeing that information, it's exactly what I'd been wondering about, but that part of their website isn't functioning yet. I'll check again in a couple of days.

I ran the Zero Tolerance Alliance through Google, but all I got was some kind of computer game. Perhaps it was meant as an abstract concept, not a specific organisation.

Last edited: Nov 8, 2004
  15. Lurkerella

Lurkerella Guest

McAfee, Zone Alarm, I think Ewido Suites all the "suites" have this "option", but, since the stuff goes to them anyway when you "whois", want more basic info on the incoming prog? Who knows? MS, we already know will phone home at the drop.

Methinks it will become universal with all programs, soon.

16. Lurkerella

Lurkerella Guest

Also googled for the Zero Tolerance Alliance. Gracious!! We evidently have NO, that is, Zero Tolerance for Everything!! How to tell where one begins and the other endso_O

17. solarpowered candle

solarpowered candle Registered Member

could some one explain the diffirence between say "mynetwatchman " and this . or any other intrusion detection that reports or sends logs in order to inform the ip involved . These often will use your email addy in their report to the offending person. I wonder is there any real diffirence here.

18. OpenY

OpenY Guest

Thanks for bringing this up most prevx users would concern with.
    After installed prevx2 and nothing comes up; and zonealarm personal fw picks up anything relates yet.
    My box does not have dialup modem hooked to fone line.
    Is there p2 using some un-popular internet/network protocols which fws dont filter? I have seen za/zap did not protect users from something used modem to communication with its boss.
    TIA.

19. pIMp

pIMp Registered Member

Nope OpenY - then your ZoneAlarm doesnt work or isnt configured properly.

Prevx is doing everything via TCP/IP and HTTP on top.
    Its even sending everything in clean-text - so ya can hook your
    network sniffer on port 80 and you should see.

20. dvk01

dvk01 Global Moderator

if you are really so concerned about what prevx is sending home then open the prevx folder in windows explorer , look in logs and open the px-log.txt

it clearly shows what information is taken and sent

21. AJohn

AJohn Registered Member

I have no problem with them using anonymous information to better Prevx, but there GUI aggrevates me.

22. sukarof

sukarof Registered Member

I used the first version and was happy about it. I [manually] reported everytime Prevx alerted me of an intrusion. But the phoning home every 5 minutes, even if there haven´t been any intrusions, does bother me, even if it is benign data, I just can´t see the need of that, it should be sufficient to only report when there actually has been an attack, so I´ve blocked it in my firewall. I guess the program does its job even if it cant phone home? When I want to check for an update or report an event I´ll just disable the firewall rule temporary.

Anybody know if they fixed the incompability with Athlon 64 and SP2´s Data execution prevention? Does Prevx still cause BSODs?

23. ghiser1

ghiser1 Developer

Hi. I've notice that Prevx Home v2 doesn't phone home every 5 minutes afterall - the time interval changes.

Here's a few lines from my px-log.txt:

[23/11/2004 09:12:39][ PAWS] - 295 minutes since last report (RF:300)
    [23/11/2004 09:12:39][ PAWS] - RF not reached

This says to me its going to phone home every 300 minutes (guess I was a lucky one) but its not reached that time yet.

Five minutes later it wakes up and checks again..

[23/11/2004 09:17:39][ PAWS] - 300 minutes since last report (RF:300)
    [23/11/2004 09:17:39][ PAWS] - cycle reached

Now it phones home with the events that have happened since the last report.

[23/11/2004 09:17:39][ PAWS] - 1 events pending
    [23/11/2004 09:17:39][ PAWS] - event header sent

[23/11/2004 09:17:39][ PAWS] - New RF: 30

Looks like its got new refresh frequency.

[23/11/2004 09:22:39][ PAWS] - 5 minutes since last report (RF:30)
    [23/11/2004 09:22:39][ PAWS] - RF not reached
    [23/11/2004 09:27:39][ PAWS] - 10 minutes since last report (RF:30)
    [23/11/2004 09:27:39][ PAWS] - RF not reached

So nothing happening yet...

[23/11/2004 09:42:39][ PAWS] - 25 minutes since last report (RF:30)
    [23/11/2004 09:42:39][ PAWS] - RF not reached

.. and still nothing...

[23/11/2004 09:47:39][ PAWS] - 30 minutes since last report (RF:30)
    [23/11/2004 09:47:39][ PAWS] - cycle reached
    [23/11/2004 09:47:39][ PAWS] - 9 events pending
    [23/11/2004 09:47:39][ PAWS] - event header sent

So it phoned home after 30 minutes this time - the value received on its last phone home...

[23/11/2004 09:47:39][ PAWS] - New RF: 60

And next time it'll phone home in an hour.

It looks pretty clear to me that either Prevx Home is choosing random phone home times or the Prevx server is controlling how often it should phone home. When it phones home the servers tells it when to come back again.

24. LockBox

LockBox Registered Member

What information could be sent that could be a security/privacy threat? I mean, you're sending it to Prevx ferchrisakes! They are pioneers in intrusion detection! I trust them and think their concept is a great idea. They can catch a doomsday in literally minutes with the shared "user army" approach.

25. ~*Nat*~

~*Nat*~ Registered Member

Is This Acceptable ?

Hello, :) You know... there is this very promising looking software out there, which is Prevx Home. And what do I see ? - THIS:

[Qoute] Product description:http://www.softpedia.com/base_img/oriz_dots.gifPrevx Home is the only Host Intrusion Prevention Software designed for consumers, and it’s FREE!

Prevx Home will protect your PC against the worms, trojans, malicious spyware, malware and hacker attacks that bypass traditional security technology.

Prevx Home anonymously and automatically transmits threat data each time an attack is made on your PC. This threat data is used to drive the new "ask the audience" feature that helps users make the decision to accept or deny each security event alert

Prevx plans to market a range of services providing information on Internet Threats to corporate customers, ISPs, security vendors, rating organizations and other interested parties.

Prevx analyzes this threat data to track the emergence and spread of new security threats. So like our corporate customers, you benefit from the continual improvements made to the security policies that are such an integral part of our security solutions.

Protect yourself and play your part in fighting cyber crime. Download Prevx Home – there’s no need to provide any personal information or to register your product.

Why is Prevx Home Free? In return for providing Prevx Home for free, all we ask is that you agree to take part in the fight against cyber crime. How? Well, when Prevx Home detects an Event on your computer, some information is sent to Prevx. No personal information about you is collected. <--- !

So in order to use it, they will get our informations and track data...who knows what kinds all.

Here is their website http://www1.prevx.com/default.asp in case you want to see more.

Being that we all are concerned about our privacy, and security - which this
    program obvisiouly provides, I wonder how many of You would consider using it...I know some of YOU Are...and if this lil statement above is anything to worry about...?
    I'm curious about Your opinion and looking forward to reading your posts.

I'm really drooling over this...me want :p - but not certain with That nip in the rear.
    :doubt:

~Nat~

http://www.softpedia.com/base_img/oriz_dots.gif

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.