New Prevx due soon

Discussion in 'other anti-malware software' started by hollywoodpc, Mar 10, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. hollywoodpc

hollywoodpc Registered Member

A new Prevx Pro should be released very soon . Some of the additions in this version will be :
    Network Firewall
    Scan and Disable functionality
    Anti-Spam functionality for MS Outlook
    Anti-Spyware functionality
    New GUI Interface (ease of use and improved usability
    Looks good thus far . Just for anyone who was thinking about using Prevx .

2. Rasheed187

Rasheed187 Registered Member

Yes it could really use a GUI makeover. It should also use a lot less RAM I think. The last time I tried it, it was very unstable on my system. But I don't see why it should add Anti-spyware and Anti-Spam protection. :rolleyes:

3. Eng

Eng Guest

Hi hollywoodpc,

how soon the Prevx upgrade is to be released and will that be available also for Home edition?

Regards,
    Eng

4. gottadoit

gottadoit Security Expert

Tis a pity there is no mention of :
    "doesn't slow everything down so much"

Does it have any extra protection against termination
    ie: can it be killed using DCS's apt program ?

NB: I'm not sure if the current one can be killed in this way so it might not be a fair question. I saw somewhere a while ago that PrevX might be vulnerable to termination attacks

5. hollywoodpc

There should be a fix as far as resource useage . There was on the last update . The terminate bug will be fixed . Firewall included in beta . Not sure of the public release . Depends on how well it performs . Overall , nice improvement . Nop way to tell if all on the beta will be in the public version . Now we wait

6. hollywoodpc

If all goes well , within the next two weeks I expect . IF all goes well . The home version will MOST likely see an update but , nothing like the pro version . Hope that helps .

7. Eng

Eng Guest

Almost a month has gone and no Prevx update is released yet ... last one is dated 21st Feb 05 for Prevx home version 2.1 with build 2.3.0.0 ?!? Somewhere out there (sorry I forgot where ... maybe on castlecops) I caught an information that prevx developers have an urgent job to do. So, just a question what's about.

Thanks and regards,
    Eng

8. SPEEDY6128

SPEEDY6128 Registered Member

Yeah, they should focus on improving how it handles system resources. Its pointless to me making it better in the way of protecing your PC, if all it does is bog you PC down, theres just no need for it. Other companys manage to programe there apps to be resource friendly. No matter what they say it can do to help protect your computer, until they sort that main issue out. I wont be using it.

9. Eng

Eng Guest

It's a question ... it ultimately depends how powerfull your comp is ... I rate my Acer laptop as an ordinary comp => Pentium4-2,8GHz, 512MB DDR SDRAM, ATI 9200 with XP pro and I have noticed really a very tiny slow-down, almost not recognizable. Believe me, I can easily live with this hitch but I could not without protection that Prevx gives me ... anyway it's your decision so enjoy it!

Regards,
    Eng

10. richrf

richrf Registered Member

Yes, I agree with HollywoodPC. Each system is much different. Some forum members have indicated that they feel that KAV is very heavy, while on my system there is no slow-down at all. Ditto for Prevx. BOClean spikes on my machine because of ProcessGuard while Ewido doesn't (Ewido probably is the most resource intensive app that I have running in real-time). On the otherhand, Giant AS does impact my system and I only run it on-demand.

But I am sure enough users have complained about Prevx's system resource usage to make it a priority item for them, as has Kaspersky. I think this is a good idea, since both of these products are excellent and should be available for all kinds of systems and users.

Rich

11. Eng

Eng Guest

OK folks, the post the opinion, that's good and the reason I like forums much but kindly back to the topic ... is someone out there who knows when new Prevx or its upgrade will be launched?

Thanks and regards,
    Eng

12. chew

chew Registered Member

Please to hear a new Prevx is due soon.

I hope they will enable me to update the def behind Uni firewall with the new version. Especially the Home version.

:)

13. richrf

richrf Registered Member

Hi,

The last I heard on their own forum is that it would be available late March (obviously has passed) or early April. Supposingly they are working on fixing some holes (Jason found one), and better performance. Presumably they are also working on problems associated with running alongside ProcessGuard, ZoneAlarm, and other software. They have a lot to do, so my guess is that it may take a while, plus there will probably be a fairly thorough beta period since they need to work out compaibilitiy issues. I hope they remove the requirement that Home users to connect to their server every 15 minutes to sent "port related" data. This could very well be one the cause of some of their performance/compatibility problems, if they are constantly inspecting, collecting, and sending data.

Rich

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.