New PC

Discussion in 'Acronis True Image Product Line' started by boabie, Aug 4, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. boabie

boabie Registered Member

Hi,

I'm building a new pc in the next few weeks and I was wondering whats possible and what isn't in regard to using TI Home to move as much as possible from the old machine to the new one.

I have a 500GB NAS device I can use to store images and I will be using my old hard drive in my new machine.

If I do a sysprep/reseal on my machine and then image it, can I restore my OS on the new machine without having to re-install it and all my applications?

Basically I know I can restore my data easily with TI but I wanted to avoid having to do a full re-install of windows xp and my applications.

Even if I have to do a full re-install of my os and apps will I be able to restore my settings with TI?

2. jonyjoe81

jonyjoe81 Registered Member

On tests that I have done (to simulate total computer breakdown), I was able to get an image from that computer (saved on dvd) (windows xp pro, true image 9.0) and restore it to an entirely different computer. The new computer took longer to bootup the first time, and in the windows screen spent 5 minutes as it found new hardware to install. I needed to install new video /audio and lan drivers. It might take you an hour to find the necessary drivers etc, but once you do that it works as good as the original. All the original settings remained.
    Though it's possible, I still think it's always better to do a clean install on a new computer, that way windows will run faster since it was loaded there originally.
    But in an emergency where you absouloutely need your original windows up with all the original settings, it might work. But on systems with SATA hard drives and RAID's that might not always work. (for that type of transfer they recommend true image 9.1).

3. Acronis Support

Acronis Support Acronis Support Staff

Hello boabie,

Thank you for your interest in Acronis Disk Backup Software.

Please be aware that we do not guarantee the successful transferring of your operating system to a different hardware using Acronis True Image 10.0 Home. We recommend that you use Acronis True Image in conjunction with Acronis Universal Restore. Acronis Universal Restore technology provides an efficient solution for hardware-independent system restoration by replacing the crucial Hardware Abstraction Layer (HAL) and mass storage device drivers.

Note that Acronis Universal Restore is a plug-in for corporate versions of Acronis True Image and in your case we would recommend that you use Acronis True Image 9.1 Workstation.

Acronis Universal Restore is used with image archives and you can find basic instructions on how to use it here. Detailed instructions can be found in the Acronis True Image 9.1 Workstation User's Guide.

We recommend you to download and install the free trial version of Acronis True Image 9.1 Workstation to see how the software works on your computer.

Please also be aware that the trial version of Acronis Universal Restore is not available on Acronis web site. In order to obtain the trial version of Acronis Universal Restore please contact Acronis Support Team. Explain your wish to obtain the free trial version of Acronis Universal Restore and provide your personal information (full name; phone number along with the area code; company name, if any) along with the link to this thread. We'll provide you with the free trial version of Acronis Universal Restore as soon as possible.

Note that if you are already a user of Acronis True Image Home you can purchase upgrade to Acronis True Image 9.1 Workstation.

Thank you.
    --
    Marat Setdikov

4. JohnHace

JohnHace Registered Member

I am in a somewhat similar situation.

I have a Dell Inspiron 8600 with XP that I've been using for several years. I just bought a Dell Inspiron 9400 with Vista. I created a new partition and installed XP and repaired the Vista bootloader to dual boot them. I want to get everything from my old Dell to the new XP partition. I was going to use an old copy of PC Relocator (Aloha Bob) that I have used in the past with XP. Would your True Image with Universal Restore do the same thing or perhaps do it better?

5. Acronis Support

Acronis Support Acronis Support Staff

Hello JohnHace,

Thank you for your interest in Acronis Remote Workstation Disk Backup Software.

Please be aware that the purpose of Acronis Universal Restore is transferring of the whole system to a different hardware environment. Transferring a standalone Windows system into a dual boot environment will most likely require using a bootloader for the resulting system to be bootable. Please see this site for detailed explanations on multibooting principles.

Please notice that Acronis bootloader solution for non-server systems is Acronis OS Selector (a component of Acronis Disk Director Suite 10.0)

We recommend you to download and install the free trial version of Acronis Disk Director Suite 10.0 to see how the software works on your computer. The only limitation of Acronis OS Selector in the trial version is that after 15 days it will start with 15 seconds delay.

You can find the detailed instructions on how to use Acronis Disk Director Suite 10.0 in the respective User's Guide.

Please visit Acronis online store to purchase the full version of the product.

Thank you.
    --
    Marat Setdikov

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.