New PC World article about free antivirus software

Discussion in 'other anti-virus software' started by rich24681359, Dec 1, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. rich24681359

rich24681359 Guest

http://www.pcworld.com/howto/article/0,aid,113462,00.asp

It seems to say that Avast is best and AVG is second-best.

2. rich24681359

rich24681359 Guest

3. Godzilla

Godzilla AV Expert

Sorry, but this article says nothing.
    They could use better the time and the place to make an other symantec advertisement :D

Regards,
    Godzilla

4. Godzilla

Godzilla AV Expert

However, if u want to post url's try this:

(url= h**p://yourlink) Description follows here (/url)

use "[" instand of "(" as shown in the example above ;)

5. Firefighter

Firefighter Registered Member

To everyone from Firefighter!

The magazine article linked above says:

"BitDefender Free edit v7: Uses same scanning engine as the VB100- and ICSA-certified Standard Edition, on-access and on-demand scanning but no e-mail scanning, automatic updates, 8.8MB."

When that on-access option was added to this free version? So far what I was used that BDF free, there wasn't any on-access scanner!

"The truth is out there, but it hurts!"

Best regards,
    Firefighter!

6. minacross

minacross Registered Member

BitDefender Free Edition v7

quoted:
    [glow=red,2,300]System scanning
    On demand scanning - Powerful scan engines ensure detection and removal of all viruses in the wild every time you need it. [/glow]

it seems that they did not even try it :rolleyes: :D

7. illukka

illukka Spyware Fighter

yeah and get paid for it too( in the public)

but since symantec is one of the biggest advertisers in pc mags you will never see a bad review of their products. at least i've never seen one..

8. Firefighter

Firefighter Registered Member

To Godzilla from Firefighter!

How dare u criticize PC World, have u seen what was on the top of PC World's logo?

"Technology advice you can trust" :D :D ;)

"The truth is out there, but it hurts!"

Best regards,
    Firefighter!

9. Well, Wilders is doing a beautiful job in critisizing Symantec. They simply won't even review the product in their list of AV's...

I guess that mindset is if it's not mentioned, maybe it'll go away... LOL...

10. Detox

Detox Retired Moderator

Hmm Spybot blocks "Avenue A, Inc" when I go to that link :rolleyes:

Straight Shooter; I'm not sure I've seen the "criticizing" going on from Wilders; I would point out that this thread has (so far) been members talking, not admin or moderators.

Aside from that, the topic is about a pcword review.

11. Technodrome

Technodrome Security Expert

Nobody’s criticizing Symantec. Symantec has some good products but there are better and more effective ones. If you like Symantec's products then keep using them no problem here....

...and please stay on topic...

tECHNODROME

12. bigc73542

bigc73542 Retired Moderator

i just sent an e-mail to Pc World about their free av article, it will be interesting to see if they respond. If they do I will post it here.

Attached Files:

13. bigc73542

bigc73542 Retired Moderator

Well I didn't really expect a response to my e-mail but at least they could check what they are writing about before the publish it like it was gospel. :(

14. msingle

msingle Registered Member

If that is truly how they operate it seems that you would never see anything bad mentioned about Dell, IBM, McAfee, Microsoft, Adobe, AOL, etc. but you do all the time.

You'd think that the bigger advertisers would always get better reviews if this is how they really do things. So since Microsoft is certainly a bigger advertiser than Qualcomm (Eudora) you'd think they would never say anything bad about Outlook in comparisons. Here though they do: http://www.pcworld.com/reviews/article/0,aid,113091,00.asp

Likewise if it was all about advertising money clouding their coverage why would they even have an article about free antivirus software?

And most important I probably need glasses but I didn't see one mention of Norton Antivirus anywhere in the article. Therefore this is a good example of clouding the issues yourselves instead of looking at the facts.

15. Well golly, msingle, just because they have criticisms of products from their advertisers doesn't mean they aren't going to recommend those products over competitors products when it comes to a showdown. If Pc World ran an antivirus showdown, what do you think they would recommend, and HAVE recommended constantly in the past?

Criticising their advertisers' products doesn't make them the lesser pimp, and they also have their proselytising missionaries ::snipped:: to spread FUD everywhere else, so they're covered on all fronts.

No need to make things personal... LWM

16. LowWaterMark

LowWaterMark Administrator

The topic of this thread was meant to be the free anti-virus products, not the advertising habits of the mag, or whether that influences their reviews. Let's stay on topic.

17. bellgamin

bellgamin Registered Member

IMHO, discussing a review, and THEN progressing to discussing the reliability & objectivity of said review is, I believe, very much within the purview of *staying on topic."

Isn't this precisely what was done with respect to Wilder's lengthy thread concerning VirusP's reviews?

Hey LWM -- I know you're just trying to do the job. No offense. Just a passing comment from an old f**t. ;)

18. LowWaterMark

LowWaterMark Administrator

Actually bellgamin, I do agree with you but only up to a point.

Had the review include a Symantec product then clearly the advertising relationship would have been directly on point to the objectiveness of the review.

What was probably meant to be a quick passing joke comment regarding the relationship between the mag and Symantec quickly took the thread away from the free products being reviewed. More than half the posts are not about those products or that review.

19. bellgamin

bellgamin Registered Member

@LWM- Too true. Looking back, the issue of PCW being abed with $ymantec just sort of crept in unawares, while we were all watching Gilligan's Island. :D

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.