New password

Discussion in 'Forum Related Discussions' started by jongie, Oct 31, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. jongie

jongie Registered Member

I had lost my password information so went through the procedure to get a new one.

When I copied and pasted that into the login box it was rejected. Only after a couple of goes did I realise that there was a final colon in the password. Easily missed.

Can I suggest that replacement passwords do not contain colons please?

Also, when I clicked on "Change password" nothing happened. Should I have seen a dialog box?

2. LowWaterMark

LowWaterMark Administrator

Ah, I see what happened there. You had a new password from the change password email message that had ":" as the last character. See sample format following:

Password: abcdefg:

If you use the double-click feature in the mouse, the auto word boundry selection feature grabs only the abcdefg, leaving the colon off as a word break. Unfortunately, this issue is not limited to either the colon symbol or its position. If the last character is mostly any symbol, the word selection feature would leave that off, too. Try with these:

Password: abcdefg$
    Password: abcdefg#
    Password: abcdefg*

If we say, no symbols allowed as last character, then it is fixed for that position, but, if a symbol appears within the inner characters of a new password, the word break will simply move to either before or after the symbol. Examples:

Password: abcd$fgh
    Password: ab&defgh

Double-click either of the above passwords with the mouse pointer over the "d". On the upper, it will select only the "abcd". On the lower, it will select the "defgh".

So basically, if we limit passwords to being able to select them with just a double click, we'd have to say no symbols are allowed to prevent the word boundry issue completely.

Sample of the email message with selection:

sample-pwd-with-symbol.jpg

I'm afraid I don't see this change as really necessary. The new passwords are always 8 characters in that change dialog message, and I think people should be able to either manually select them, or simply type then in directly.

Which screen is this from? The normal change password procedure is done from: "User CP" > "Edit Email & Password" > (fill in the fields) > hit "Save Changes".

So where was the change password link/button from?

3. jongie

jongie Registered Member

Immediately after logging in with the new password, there was a button at the top of the page that said "Change Password". When I clicked on that, nothing happened. However I've found the link to password change now so no problem.

Regards

John

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.