new NOD32 user; ad blocking

Discussion in 'other security issues & news' started by dondelmar, Jul 15, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. dondelmar

dondelmar Registered Member

I am a new NOD32 user; formerly Norton. How do I stop ads from appearing? And all the flashing, etc. Norton took care of this for me, and I now find them very annoying. Thanks

2. dog

dog Guest

Hi dondelmar, ;)

Welcome to Wilders'

You were using Norton Internet Security which is both an Anti-Virus and Firewall, it was the Firewall that was blocking the ads, flash etc. NOD32 is just an Anti-Virus and isn't meant to deal with such things. There are many options for blocking those items ... if you wish to know more about those options, you could start a new thread in the Other Firewall Forum to get advice specifically about firewalls, or in other security issues, if you would also like to investigate other possibilities such as filtering applications such as Proxomitron, bFilter etc. or different browsers and their potential for doing such with the use of extensions, such as Firefox with the Ad block, flash block extensions. You could also use Javacools Spyware Blaster to disable flash. There are more than a few options available.

HTH,

Steve

3. webyourbusiness

webyourbusiness Registered Member

As Dog pointed out, the whole blocking thing isn't what NOD32 is about - however, there are a couple of quick and very easy things you can do:

1. make sure your browser is up to date
    2. use firefox instead of internet exploder - it has a very good popup blocker built into it.
    3. if you can't/won't use firefox, get the Google toolbar - it is free and has a fairly good popup blocker
    4. make sure you let NOD32 block known malicious sites - IMON | Setup | Miscellaneous tab | Check the box "Use the list of known websites containing only malicious files."

These very simple things will help enormously!

hth

Greg

4. dondelmar

Thanks for the input.
    I do use Firefox - I don't get the pop-up windows I get lots of ad activity on the page; cnn.com has tons of them (I didn't know I was missing this with NAV)

I use Spyware Blaster. Flash control seems to be for IE only.

I verified my IMON settings. Were as suggested.

I was pleased with NOD32 that is showed 2 threats (trojan) that had NOT been picked up by Norton.

Thanks again.

5. webyourbusiness

webyourbusiness Registered Member

I run a hosts file which I update about monthly - it keeps my ads down to a real low level:

http://www.mvps.org/winhelp2002/hosts.htm

hth

Greg

6. Brian N

Brian N Registered Member

I use the Adblock extension for Firefox. Works perfect.
    Check it out: Here

7. Ailric

Ailric Guest

8. CyberMew

CyberMew Registered Member

This is very useful, nice find. Thanks!

9. RejZoR

RejZoR Lurker

HOSTS are fine,but way too limited.
    You can add only domains,while ads can be on legit server (for example https://www.wilderssecurity.com/ads/some_banners.jpg). Now this is something that you can't block with HOSTS,but you can with generic URL based blocking using */ads/* entry. Very simple and effective.

10. Access Denied

Access Denied Registered Member

11. dog

dog Guest

As this thread has developed into an Other Security Issue and not a NOD32 support issue ... I have moved this thread to a more appropriate forum.

Please continue the discussion

Regards,

Steve

12. dondelmar

TY for the input. I got the HOSTS file and 'Adblock'. Really made a difference. I will look at domains and admuncher.
    I'm learning a lot! All the input and response was great!! :D

13. Matt_Smi

Matt_Smi Registered Member

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.