New MS Vulnerability

Discussion in 'malware problems & news' started by mikel108, Mar 1, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. mikel108

mikel108 Registered Member

Well I found out about a new Microsoft Vulnerabilty last night. A friend of mine was formatting her computer. When she went to syncronize with her ISP (Sympatico Canada), she said a messenger window came up that said there were 10 spywares on her PC, and much of her screen turned black. She had to manually shut the computer down and restart the PC. When it(PC) started a program called PC PowerScan popped up.

She called me.

I went into her add/remove and sure enough Bargain buddy, shop at home were all there. I told her to we would start again. After setting up her internet connection, I rebooted and there was a trojan called WINOLE.EXE(I checked online. I had to manually clean it. What a pain. Everything is good now, just wanted to post my experience, and a link to the MS page with the new(and 1 of many holes). Thanks

http://www.microsoft.com/technet/security/bulletin/MS05-012.mspx

2. mikel108

mikel108 Registered Member

Would it matter if it came in through a Messenger popup??

3. bigbuck

bigbuck Registered Member

Sounds very much like there was no firewall enabled. I can remember doing a reformat and 'forgetting' to enable the firewall once! Got a similar messenger popup about 10mins before being hit with a worm...while I was getting my AV defs!! Had to start all over!

4. Marja

Marja Honestly, I'm not a bot!!

Well, no matter how it got on her computer, you, at least were there to help straighten it all out, maybe you better remind her about some security measures, so it won't happen again!
    Like BBuck said, it doesn't take any time at all to get slammed with something right after you have done all that work - very demoralizing when it happens!!

Good job, Mikel!

5. Sweetie(*)(*)

Sweetie(*)(*) Registered Member

Hi for future refrence ive written a guide to reformatting HERE

6. Marja

Marja Honestly, I'm not a bot!!

Thanks Sweetie(*)(*), I am saving the whole thing, just in case. I wish I would have had these instructions last time and the memory sticks are really a life saver!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.