New member -- odd problem with AV (not ESS) RC1

Discussion in 'ESET Smart Security v3 Beta Forum' started by Crashman, Oct 20, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Crashman

Crashman Registered Member

Greetings, all:

I am new to the forum and have been inspired to join and look for help with a problem with NOD32 AV (not ESS) 3.0 RC1.

I use Windows Vista Home Premium (patched with only the patches that Windows Update identifies as "critical" or "recommended" and current as of this month's "Microsoft Patch Day"). Only NOD32, Windows Defender and the Vista inbuilt firewall are running resident (none of NVIDIA's driver helper things or the like); the internet connection is Verizon Broadband DSL with their standard Westell 2200 router/modem (router firewall ON), and Firefox 2.0.0.7 is the browser. NOD32 settings are at their installation defaults.

My problem is that, whether I have the NOD32's web component active or not, I am have big problems getting access to Anandtech's website (anandtech.com). On most occasions, it won't load at all and simply times out for lack of detectable response. Very occasionally, it will load, but take 3-4 minutes to do so.

This problem does not occur with avast (current version) and its web protection component active, but it happens every time I try using NOD32. After removing avast!, I do a system restore to a state of clean Vista install (patched as described above, but with no antivirus ever having been installed) and reinstall NOD32, but the problem remains. Thinking this might be a problem on the other end of the connection, I have even gone to a neighbor's Verizon-connected computer and tried accessing Anandtech less than 2 minutes after I had tried and failed on my machine, and the neighbor's connection had no problem. As a result, I am back to using a soon-to-expire copy of AntiVir until I sort out this issue.

I would really like to work this out, as I otherwise love NOD32, but wonder whether whatever is causing the Anandtech problem will some day (after I pay for a license :D) show up with some other website that I use more urgently.

Sorry to be so long-winded. Any insight or help would be much appreciated.

Regards,
    Crashman

2. ronjor

ronjor Global Moderator

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.