New Member Help and Advice Please

Discussion in 'other anti-virus software' started by juppy, Dec 9, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. juppy

juppy Registered Member

Hi I am mick and this is my first posting to this forum.

I am new to computer security and would like a little advice if at all possible.
    The following refers to home computing
    Currently I have a desktop with XP professional. My internet connection is cable broadband.
    Next year I am buying another desk top and setting up a wireless connection to two other desk tops and a lap top.

At present my anti-virus security is

Anti Virus - AVG 6.0 A much debated program which is not a favourite of virus testers but a real winner with users see Tech Support Guy AVG. anti virus review.

I am now looking to replace with
    originally Kaspersky but looking at your site and the comments with in it I am now considering NOD32 - for several reasons
    a) reading Re:Nod32 vs KAV thread there does not seem much between them it is personal preference.
    b) Nod32 is cheaper £50 for 3 years.
    c) I am in favour of stand alone programs as against all in one (multipurpose) programs

I also intend to install BOClean anti-trojan

My enquiry is
    1) Any comments on my choice and thoughts about NOD32 & Kaspersky
    2) Will running NOD32 and BOClean set up conflicts between them and are they suitable for a computer within a wireless system

Thanks
    Mick :)

2. Paul Wilders

Paul Wilders Administrator

welcome, juppy ;)

No really. Personal favor and taste come into play here as well.

No conflicts to be expected, and they should be suitable indeed. Nice combo in my opinion.

regards.

paul

3. StAnger

StAnger Registered Member

It really is a matter of what works for you and personal preference.

I use both NOD32 and KAV (on different computers)
    My experiences sofar have been that the KAV on demand scanner is lots slower then NOD's
    KAV detects more malware, in my very limited collection, but NOD makes up for that with its heuristics.

Wanted to donate my 0,02 because I own both. (and NAV)

4. illukka

illukka Spyware Fighter

IMO the combination of nod32 and boclean is a very good one..
    boclean has covered everything where nod is weak( poor unpacking/trojans) , so nice pair you got there :D

5. StevieV

StevieV Registered Member

Hi Mick and welcome. Just wanted to suggest, NOD32 and KAV both have trial versions you can try out. Personally I wouldn't part with any hard earned cash unless I had done some research (such as here at Wilders) and tried the product out on my own system. HTH

6. JimIT

JimIT Registered Member

Agree! No problems w/that combo from this end, as well. :)

Try both AV's and see which you prefer, but your choices sounds like good ones to me.

7. Chuck57

Chuck57 Registered Member

At the risk of starting a long discussion, I can't criticize AVG free. Lately, along with various firewalls, I've been playing with a number of antivirus programs, and going places I figured I could get hit with trojan horses and viruses -- Warez sites.

So far, I've been hit with three trojans and downloaded a couple of virused files. AVG (free) caught every one of them. Other AV programs (all with current updates) such as Norton, AVAST (free), McAfee, and AntiVir (free) missed at least one of the nasties.

I'm far from being an expert on AV programs and am probably a fool to be taking such chances, or maybe just have too much time and not much good sense, so don't take this as saying that AVG is the best AV program out there. I'd say though that if you have it and like it, I think you can trust it to work.

I wish I'd kept the trojans and viruses now so I could list them. I rid my machine of them when I finished fooling around with the virus thing and went on to firewalls.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.