New Matousec results

Discussion in 'other firewalls' started by bollity, Jun 13, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. alex_s

alex_s Registered Member

Actually, the tests just show what potential risky vectors security product can handle. Not more, not less.

2. Einsturzende

Einsturzende Registered Member

test results of Malware Defender 2.2.2 are at least disturbing and smells like fraud.... any comments?

3. alex_s

alex_s Registered Member

"Fraud" is too hard word, I think. In the past there were the cases where vendors tried to pass the test implementation instead of the test concept. I don't think this was a "fraud", but I think this was a "blind alley" rather.

4. Einsturzende

if it is not some sort of bug or misconfiguration then it is fraud, I can only imagine what will you say if there is Comodo instead MD :rolleyes:

Last edited: Jun 14, 2009
  5. alex_s

alex_s Registered Member

Just the same. Comodo has different approach, if their desing doesn't allow to pass a test gracefuly they say "this test is improper" or "this test is irrelevant", but I never noticed that they tried to pass a test design instead of a test concept :)

PS. Except crash7 test, which can crash a system if not handled properly by allocating all the available virtual memory. In this case they say "Comodo survives this test so all is OK". I'd like to see some more intellectual approach which saves a system, not only itself.

6. Einsturzende

so you think comodo design does not allow to prevent e.g. windows from shut down, is this because it can intercept shut down privilege but not actual shut down? so why intercepting privilege at all..?

7. alex_s

alex_s Registered Member

I dunno why they intercept priviledge escalation, because it doesn't make much sense if a priviledge is already granted by a policy. But I think they are just sorry to remove what they have already implemented and to be fair in SOME cases this can give a hint on something wrong that happens. So to say even not giving a reliable way to block an action it gives additional chance to terminate a beast. But this way only works for experienced users, of course and a user must know that blocking priviledge escalation doesn't actually remove a priviledge if it is already granted by system defaults. So in a way this alert can be misleading.

8. Einsturzende

in other words, CIS cant prevent app from shut windows down by design, so privilege prompt is just excuse, hey we can but it is not relevant, shutting down win triggering is legitimate action for any application?

9. eXPerience

eXPerience Registered Member

erm... really.. which standard is that then?
    one MS update and everything fu** up.... you have to use documented functions..of course some cases you might have to use undocumented functions but thats why you have to work with MS to make sure stuff you rely on is not pulled under your feet. Some companies do have the habit of using unsupported functions and then end users pay the price with updates which mess up the PC...
    You honestly go to our forums (forums.comodo.com) just to troll around ?
    It seems that OA has the same influence on you, so that makes 2 of us.
    +
    +
    More over here...

For the toolbar, you should again first check your source before simply posting it. When you update with the in-build updater you did NOT get the toolbar. Also, you were always offered a choice whether to install it or not !

I've got confirmation to post the reply from Melih considering the paying for the CIS test :
    So perhaps you should stick to web designing Alex_s, and leave the Security to professionals ;)

eXPerience

10. cruxx

cruxx Registered Member

Sorry, but I don't see anything professional about personal mud slinging and axe grinding in either of your posts. I come here for the knowledge that many have but am sad to see so much fanboy attitude and war of words. Time to tell mum to call you both in for bed.
    :rolleyes:

11. eXPerience

eXPerience Registered Member

+1, let's end it here.

btw : What do you want to know cruxx ;)

eXPerience

12. SystemJunkie

SystemJunkie Resident Conspiracy Theorist

What is your setup?
    Maybe you don´t work a lot with different apps that you don´t feel the slow down.

Agree. Unfortunately modern hardware doesn´t help in case of software that slows the system down. I experienced this with Avira premium, a 2x4 gigs core 2 duo becomes slow like a old pentium 100 with activated guard. Comodo has a very good sys performance, imho.

13. alex_s

alex_s Registered Member

It can't. It can't also detect commandline parameters in kernel in XP, it can't detect entry point infection (at least it could not when I tested it last time). It slows down UDP, it can't intercept "Device\\RawIp" activity. This is what I can immediately recall.

14. alex_s

alex_s Registered Member

No probs. Take it, if you can.

15. Peter2150

Peter2150 Global Moderator

You are right on. This thread is being tucked in for the night. Closed.

Pete

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.