New Malware Re-Writes Online Bank Statements to Cover Fraud

Discussion in 'malware problems & news' started by ronjor, Oct 1, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ronjor

ronjor Global Moderator

Article

2. G1111

G1111 Registered Member

Very clever, what will they think of next. A girl I used to work with almost lost $8,000. Somehow someone in a different state got her bank information and tried to withdraw the money. The bank got suspicious and did not allow the withdrawal, but they froze her account until things could be straightened out and she was issued a new account number, etc. You almost need to be an IT professional to go online.

3. ronjor

ronjor Global Moderator

I'm afraid to look. :ninja: :D

4. chronomatic

chronomatic Registered Member

Computer illiterates will always fall victim to malware and phishing attacks. Sure, getting them off Windows will stop 90% of the problem, but if they are already that computer illiterate they will really have a hard time running anything else. :'(

5. Joeythedude

Joeythedude Registered Member

well there are 2 parts to this , technical & social/legal.

technical side :
    Well almost anything viewable in a browser windows is "potentially" re-writable.
    For example . You can run something called greasemonkey in FF and redraw how your gmail looks.
    I'm not sure if its possible with secure sessions though

social/legal
    In some countries the bank is liable for online fraud.
    With my own bank , to set-up a wire transfer to a new account , requires a third form of authentication ( key-card) so I'd be ok with the attack as well.

6. Mrkvonic

Mrkvonic Linux Systems Expert

This is the key sentence:

"The victims’ computers are infected with the Trojan, known as URLZone, after visiting compromised legitimate web sites or rogue sites set up by the hackers."

Answer: Don't get infected.

Point 2: The article does not elaborate on how exactly the infection occurs or how it's prevented. Furthermore, it's the victims' operating system, possibly Windows, that might get infected if improper privileges, patches, system configuration, and browser are used.

If you're running as limited user (or similar), have your system fully patched, use a good browser, and have your system configured to not allow all sorts of promiscuous activities, then you're not likely to get infected any time soon or ever. On Linux, Mac, this is even simpler.

Mrk

7. wat0114

wat0114 Guest

These articles always seem to leave out this rather important information.

Absolutely :thumb:

8. JRViejo

JRViejo Super Moderator

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.