New Laptop...Which to Buy????

Discussion in 'Acronis True Image Product Line' started by max0071, Sep 1, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. max0071

max0071 Registered Member

Hi:

My toshiba that I had finally working with ATI is toast.......long story.

At any rate, one of my primary concerns in purchasing a new laptop is its functionality with ATI.

Any input from notebook owners and their experiences with ATI would be appreciated. I'm leaning towards another Toshiba....don't know why, died after 22 months and its the hardware. Toshiba tells me I'm SOL.

Comments and input appreciated.

Last edited: Sep 1, 2006
  2. Howard Kaikow

Howard Kaikow Registered Member

If you purchased with a credit card, did not the credit card give you an additional 12 months of extended warranty?

If so, call the credit card company YESTERDAY to get a date for your claim.

3. max0071

Excellent thought Howard. Just called. But as luck would have it my card does not have the "additional extended warranty". Well, learnt something new again.

Thanks for the clever suggestion.

Now any ideas on a good notebook that is friendly with ATIo_O?

4. starsfan09

starsfan09 Registered Member

5. Howard Kaikow

Did not realize that any major CREDIT cards did not have extended warranty protection.

Master card, Visa and Amex do have such protection.

Don't give up yet.
    Check the written benefits for your card.
    Call VISA or Master Card directly, not the issuing bank.

If the card really does have no protection, I'd ditch the credit card and get a card with proper protection.

Also, you could join Costco.
    They have really good prices. The sell different stuff onlune than in the stores, so you have to check both places.
    And costco members can get a free American Express card that has cash rebates.

6. pvsurfer

pvsurfer Registered Member

I've had my Dell Inspiron 6000 since last Christmas (bought it online and got 1gig RAM for the price of 512mb and a free photo printer with it). This laptop is really very nice, except that my LCD panel (or perhaps the cable) went bad after just 6 months. To Dell's credit, they sent a serviceman (with a replacement LCD & cable) to my home in less than a week after calling them! 20 minutes later 'the patient fully recovered' (btw, this was all covered at no-charge under Dell's warranty).

As I said, I really like the Inspiron a lot, however I didn't like all of the cr*ppy ('leader') apps that Dell (also HP, and others) insists on loading on all new systems, so I removed them. Another thing is that Dell and HP no longer include a System CD/DVD which I definitely wanted. I complained to Dell Tech Support and that was all it took, as I received the DVD a week after phoning them.

Ps. Since this is an Acronis True Image forum, let me also add that backing up (and restoring) using the DVD on the laptop is 'the pits'. If you don't already have one, be sure to get an external drive for your ATI backups of your laptop's drive - I can't emphasize that enough!

Last edited: Sep 2, 2006
  7. starsfan09

starsfan09 Registered Member

Yep, any computer you get from Dell, or any other vendor(HP, Sony, etc),...will have all that crap on it. It's nice if you're a novice user, but not if you already have your own software, and know exactly what you want on it.
    I don't suggest "Uninstalling" it though. I'd do the only true cleansing way there is, which is "Operation Wipe Out".
    Before you do Reinstall XP though, check for BIOS updates, and then, check for Optical Drive Firmware updates (DVD-Rom & DVD Burner). Flash these items first, and then Reinstall XP. After that, you're ready to install the latest software for your Video card, Sound card, Ethernet, and etc. Finally, install all your Programs.

Totally Agree!!! I'll never go back to burning my Backups to DVD ever again. After using USB 2.0 Externals (WD of course), I haven't had anymore problems.

8. max0071

9. max0071

Howard I called again same answer....my card does not extend my warranty. Aventura Gold CIBC........in Canada.

I agree never did understand the logic in backing up to CD's. The one and only advantage is portability. So if you aren't worried about your house burning down external Hd's are the only way to go.......for me anyways.

My laptop has all that extra stuff, which as has been mentioned is useless, but I just leave it and sometimes it comes in handy, additionally I'm a relative newbie and not as sophisticated as most here.

10. max0071

hp pavilion going back......just for interest sake and maybe to help someone out there........ hp sata drives in HP do NOT allow you to use the "upgrade" xp pro, you must use the full version ($400) of xp pro. Went thru all this ****....took 16 hours out of my life when finally the 5th tech I talked to told me that you can NOT upgrade Hp pavilion to xp pro unless you use the "full version" NOT the upgrade version. All I want is a notebook the will upgrade to xp pro and backup using ATI......anyway just a little info for anyone who cares or is considering buying a notebook.

11. beckygb

beckygb Registered Member

When I buy a new PC I make sure I get a CD copy of the OS. I know Dell and Gateway used to do this automatically as part of the computer package. I bought my Dell Inspiron 8600 in Mar 2004 and it came with CDs for everything on the computer, including the “junk stuff”, even the 90 day trial stuff. My laptop did not include a hidden restore partition.

I see that Dell doesn’t do that now, but for $10 you can get your OS on CD. If buying online you need to do the customize option and then find the line to check that you want the OS disk. The last 2 laptops I bought I figured out what I wanted online, printed the specs out and then called in the order by voice call. I do it this way to make sure I didn’t misunderstand anything.

Also ask the order taker about any special deals or discounts. Sometimes they have discounts they don’t advertise to get you to buy from them. In my case I got the $150 mail in rebate they advertised, and free shipping they did not advertise.

12. max0071

Just got my 2nd new laptop......took back the HP...and got another Toshiba. Your right its much better to have the recovery disk than have a dedicated partion for recovery. HP sux......can't upgrad to xp pro.......now I hope I don't have any problems using ATI with my new notebook.......i'll let you know.

13. Howard Kaikow

I guess rules in Canada are different.

Is that a Visa or a Master Card?

I'd recommend checking into getting a card that includes the protection.
    Perhaps, American Express?

Costco has stores in Canada.
    You can get a free American EXpress card with a Costco membership, at least you can in the USA.

14. Howard Kaikow

Are you saying that Toshiba does not use hidden system partitions?
    If so, that's great!

15. seekforever

seekforever Registered Member

I've got 2 Visa cards, a Master Card and an American Express and they all have different "benefits" and I can't remember which is which. However, I caution anybody who is using the cards for the "benefits" to very carefully read all of the stuff that is sent with your bill and what looks like junk mail from them because the benefits don't always remain in place forever.

16. Howard Kaikow

The benefits that matter are the ones in place on the date of purchase of an item.

I've got 3 Visa, 3 MC, and 2 Amex.

Visa extended warranty protection has always been at least as long as MC warranty protection and, as I recall, has always been the same for each Visa, i.e., when the extrended warranty benefits changed on one, the benefit changed identically on the others Visas.

As for the MC, warranty protection, as I recall, has always been the same for each MC, i.e., when the extrended warranty benefits changed on one, the benefit changed identically on the others Visas.

My recollection is the extended warranty protection for the Amex cards is the same as for the Visa cards.

I'm kinda surprised that the rules could be different in Canada.

Note that effective 1 July 2006, Bank of America DROPPED the extended warranty, and other benefits, on their Visa check Card.

I expect that this benefit will continue to be reduced/disappear.
    In the meantime, use the appropriate credit card to make hardware, appliance, etc. purchases.

17. seekforever

seekforever Registered Member

I think it isn't just a Visa issue and is more likely dependent upon the bank/institution that is issuing the Visa, Mastercard or whatever.

I looked at my bank and they offer 5 different Visa cards! Two offered extended warranty protection and the other 3 didn't.

18. max0071

Howard.....its Visa......very happy with my new toshiba.......much better than the hp........more substantial.......the hp was very tinny....felt cheap......same price......same specs more or less.

Anyhow spent the day loading it.........and there is no recovery partition on the hd........recovery disk.......much more user friendly.......even the guys at staples/busines depot...were aware of the hp problem about upgrading using xp pro "upgrade"

Haven't done my first backup yet........tomorrow..........hope its not like my old toshiba......which as some may recall took much effort to get a full backup (image) and validated.......like a month.

I did have one problem. After mounting my backup I tried to import my emails into outlook express from the mounted image, it kept saying it could not read from drive b: even though the external when mounted was assigned f:.......Anybody got any ideaso_O

I just copied and pasted the email folders from f: into c:. In the past the "import" tool worked very nicely from an external hd using the import tool in outlook express.

19. max0071

hi:

Ok the good news is I was able to backup and validate my new notebook.

However, I'm confused. On opening Partition Selection I see the following:

Disk 1 Flags Capacity Used Space Type

S3A2422d004(c) Pri, Act. 111.5 GB 8.017 GB NTFS

None Pri 251 MB 0x88(Unknown)

Disk 2
    New Volume (E) Pri 279.5 GB 269.2 GB NTFS

I presume I have a partition on my c: of 251 MB....what is this and how do I get rid of it if I cano_O? Never a dull moment!!!!!

I backed up (imaged) everything, including the 251 MB. By default only the C: Pri, Act. was checked, but I put a checkmark beside the None as well. So if I'm thinking right, I backed up two partitions one of which is probably garbage of 251 MB. Anyone help me on thiso_O?

I went into computer management and it tells me that the status of this 251MB is Partition, Basic, Healthy (Unkown Partition) with a capacity of 251 MB and Free Space of 251 MB, 100% Free, Fault Tolerance ..NO, Overhead 0%. However, there is no file system.

So if I'm thinking right (a first) there is nothing in this partition its all free space of only 251 MB....why and how, if I should, get rid of it. Ya know....just when you think things are going nicely....always a surprise. Any how any help in understanding this is much appreciated. The glass is half full......backed up and validated!!! Bottom line I want one C: drive with everything in it....no partitions....cause I don't know how to deal with em and I'm still learning what they really mean.

Thanks for any responses. Howard looking for a new credit card to cover my purchases........thanks for the lead!!!

Last edited: Sep 4, 2006
  20. max0071

ok what if i did this. Backup (image) the c; drive and not the 251 mb partition. I then reformatted the entire c: and then recoverd using my backup would this make the 251 mb hd go away. Would I effectively incorpoarate into the c: drive and then on backups only one drive would showo_O?? on reformatting would I make this 251 NTFS which it is not now and then it becomes one big happy hd with no partitions........as i want ito_Oo_Oo_O?

Thanks for any imput

21. Menorcaman

Menorcaman Retired Moderator

Hello max0071,

Use the Manage Acronis Secure Zone Wizard to create a Secure Zone in the 251MB of unallocated space. Do NOT accept the default option to also activate the Acronis Startup Recovery Manager. After successfully creating a 251MB Secure Zone, use the Manage Acronis Secure Zone Wizard again to remove the SZ and elect to return the space being used to the C: partition. When done, you should find that the previous 251MB of unallocated space has been merged into your C: partition.

Regards

22. max0071

thanks menorcman.......but this will work even though the 251 is unformattedo_O?

23. max0071

menorcaman........did as u suggested, howeve I can't put a checkmark beside the 251 there is a box but it will not accept my check mark to create szo_O

24. Menorcaman

Menorcaman Retired Moderator

O.K. Looks like the 251MB is a hidden, unformatted partition rather than unallocated free space. Try the following:

1. Right click on "My Computer", select "Manage", "Storage" and then "Disk Management".
    2. Right click on the 251MB partition, select "Delete Partition" and then click the "Yes" button to delete it. You should now have 251MB of unallocated space.
    3. Now follow the instructions provided in my Post #21 above, other than in the partition selection window do NOT tick the checkbox next to your C: partition (I've used my backup HD (E:) to test the procedure). Just click the "Next" button and proceed to create the SZ in all of the 251MB of unallocated available space. See screenshot below.

Regards

Attached Files:

25. max0071

thanks menorceman......tried just what you suggested but it went back and forth twixt sz and unallocated space...would not become part of the c: drive. I got so frustrated that I did a clean install and started again.with the "recovery disks".........but thanks for the advice.......

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.