New Kernel Vulnerability Allows Local Root For Unprivileged Processes

Discussion in 'all things UNIX' started by Amanda, Dec 6, 2016.

1. Amanda

Amanda Registered Member

From Phoronix's article:

To patch your Kernels: https://git.kernel.org/cgit/linux/k.../?id=84ac7260236a49c79eede91617700174c2c19b0c

Last edited: Dec 6, 2016
  2. Anonfame1

Anonfame1 Registered Member

3. Amanda

Amanda Registered Member

Yes, most "distro kernels" apply patches independently from kernel.org :)

4. Anonfame1

I only mentioned Arch above because some distros havent compiled a kernel with the latest patch nor obviously thus pushed such a kernel for updates. Debian doesnt have it listed on their security advisory page yet (latest advisory is from 12-1-2016), and the latest kernel I see listed online was built 10-19-2016 (same as whats installed in Whonix). Perhaps I've missed where Debian has it listed (I'll have to look tomorrow and alert them if I see nothing), but for certain Whonix lists up-to-date according to APT despite no fix to this problem. Whonix mostly uses Debian anyways...

Its been interesting using Debian and Arch side by side- sometimes Arch beats Debian to the punch with security updates and sometimes its the other way around.

This is one area where Qubes really kills it- even if a TemplateVM takes forever to get a serious vulnerability patched, it doesnt really matter- as long as no Xen vulns are present, a root shell within an AppVM wont really do much good (assuming you properly compartmentalize what data you have on each domain). Anyways, Ill post up here when I finally get a fix on Debian/Whonix...

5. summerheat

summerheat Registered Member

Debian is not affected as unprivileged user namespaces are disabled by default. The same is true for Arch btw.

6. Amanda

Amanda Registered Member

To be honest I don't remember seeing Arch push security updates at all, they push all upstream updates but that's it :p If upstream patched the security hole then yes, we'll probably get it sooner than Debian.
    On the other side Debian has a dedicated security team which can push things faster than upstream sometimes.

7. Amanda

Amanda Registered Member

Are you sure? It says "Vulnerable" for every Kernel since Wheezy which is from 2011, the same year this vulnerability has been introduced in Linux.

8. summerheat

summerheat Registered Member

Yes, the kernels are affected but that vulnerability is not usable. It's also mentioned in that Red Hat link in your post:

The same is true for Debian and Arch.

EDIT: Btw, Firejail also protects against this vulnerability in all sandboxed applications with profiles where caps.drop=all is used.

9. Amanda

Amanda Registered Member

10. Anonfame1

Understood and I stand corrected :D

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.