New JPG exploit?

Discussion in 'other security issues & news' started by MrBrian, Sep 1, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. MrBrian

MrBrian Registered Member

From 4 Image Viewers for Better Photo Viewing and Protection Against JPG Exploit:

2. MrBrian

MrBrian Registered Member

From same author in comments:

3. Carbonyl

Carbonyl Registered Member

Hrm. I find this a tad bit peculiar, but without knowing more details there's really no way to judge what's going on here as anything but hearsay.

My gut instinct is to say that what the author in question observed was an iteration of the "DLL planting" issue we've seen surface recently. But, again, without more information, it's hard to say anything.

4. Rmus

Rmus Exploit Analyst

Without more information, it's speculation as to how it is done.

The fact that this exploit is an update of MS04-028 and that it is triggered only by the MS viewers suggests that the malformed jpeg file triggers a vulnerability in a GDI DLL (buffer overflow) or something similar that only the MS viewers use.

At that time (2004) hackers were selling a tool to create the malformed jpeg files:

HTool/Exp-MS04-028
    http://vil.nai.com/vil/content/v_128578.htm

A search didn't reveal any other analysis of the current exploit. However, I did find this video, but wasn't able to watch it. Someone else can watch it and see if it's related to this one under discussion.

hxxp://il.youtube.com/watch?v=Id-UYyqGxJY

----
    rich

5. Carbonyl

Carbonyl Registered Member

Very interesting, Rmus! I was able to view the video with the same YouTube ID tag at hxxp://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Id-UYyqGxJY . The video shows the supposed exploit in operation, though I think it's different than the one linked in the Opening Post. The one in the YouTube video explicitly shows exploits of FireFox, Google Chrome, and IE8. The video author then claims the exploit will work in "Operah" [sic], and asks for $500. Validity of the exploit is unknown, as not much was shown beyond opening an image in the browser and then seeing a connection pop up in another window. Because the video seems to leverage more than just the Windows Image viewer, I'd say it's probably a different beast.

I'm not an expert, though, so I'm not sure how valid the "exploit" in the video was. There was a link shown to the (then live) JPG used to leverage the attack, so examining that file might be possible... but I know better than to post it here, even if it's fake!

6. Rilla927

Rilla927 Registered Member

Do you mean windows photo gallery to view pictures? Thanks for posting I d/l XnView.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.