New Iron-Version: 10.0.650.0 Stable for Windows

Discussion in 'other software & services' started by Daveski17, Mar 10, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Daveski17

Daveski17 Registered Member

2. Boyfriend

Boyfriend Registered Member

Thanks for update :)

3. JRViejo

JRViejo Super Moderator

4. vasa1

vasa1 Registered Member

The portableapps.com site describes Iron as an "Open Source Release" and Chrome as a "Freeware Release".

Two things that can easily be spotted are the Flash and PDF file plug-ins which maybe making Chrome not "Open Source".

But here's what is puzzling me and I know Daveski, quondam dialectician and grammarian, will not help me here:
    If Iron's Ad blocker is so efficient and if it is open source, as implied by the portableapps.com classification, how come it hasn't been used in other WebKit browsers?

Someone said something a few years ago about a building a better mouse-trap.

5. JRViejo

JRViejo Super Moderator

vasa1, perhaps this John T. Haller's PortableApps.com Debuts Freeware Portable Apps article could explain the difference in terminology.

6. vasa1

vasa1 Registered Member

JR, as usual, thanks for the informative link!

What I'm trying to get at is this: there have been claims in various forums that Iron has a built-in "ad blocking" that is superior to other common ones. My point is that if it is open and superior, why haven't other WebKit browsers adapted this methodology.

If you look at Palant's ABP forum, they're struggling to get the ABP for Chrome to the same level as ABP for Fx. The other major ad blocker by Michael Gundlach is also facing API restrictions.

I visited the Iron site and its forum but there's not really much mechanistic information there. There's a lot of reliance placed on blocking lists prepared by others such as Fanboy. Some of them seem very close to css blocking rules (element hiding) which merely block display but not download.

7. Daveski17

I'm not sure. However, I can watch some streamed telly (Channel 4 UK) without commercial breaks with Iron's adblocker. I can't do that in Safari or Chrome. Jeez louise! I hope that this version is easier to update than the zip file version on Iron's page! :D

Certain animals of the taxonomic persuasion of phylum chordata, the class mammalia & the order rodentia, & the various means of their untimely demise aside, I find that a combinaton of ABP & Fanboy's list/adblock ini in Iron just about covers everything. ;)

... Can't speak for the mice though ...

Last edited: Mar 17, 2011
  8. Pinga

Pinga Registered Member

9. vasa1

vasa1 Registered Member

Now what's your grouse about the portableapps.com version? Click, click, click. Sometimes, I have to click the direct link after the sourceforge.net screen comes up. But that's about it.

BTW, after reading sooo many of your very persuasive posts on the topic, I decided to try it out. I'm not overly impressed especially with the hijacking of the New Tab page to the pseudo web store. Or for that matter, the Wrench, Tools, Extensions, also pointing to some other site.

The only thing going for it is that the PA version is a single step ~18 MB download whereas the PA Chrome is a two step 1.5 + ~25 MB download. (Incidentally, neither version provided a dictionary o_O)

Plus, the Chrome version is prettier too. In all likelihood, I'll boot the Iron and keep the Chrome despite the higher version number.

10. Daveski17

11. Daveski17

I have no grouse (or anything else of the order of galliformes) as I haven't tried it yet (portable Iron as opposed to grouse that is). I have used the official SRWare Iron zip.

It's easily enough un-hikacked back to the speed dial.

Not sure I follow you on this one squire ... o_O

I'm pretty sure the SRWare zip has a dictionary.

Again, not quite sure what you mean aesthetically guvnor ... I may be a Vegemite sandwich & a pickled onion short of a picnic at times, but they look pretty identical to me.

Maybe you should try a nice spacey theme. :thumb:

12. vasa1

vasa1 Registered Member

Nope! In keeping with my simple living, high thinking motto, I'm staying with "Just Black" by Cyborg.

13. Daveski17

Hmmmm ... it is very black, that's for sure!

14. Daveski17

@vasa1, I am using the Portable Apps Iron release at the moment & I think it's great. The UK English dictionary works fine (so does the Australian). I have a nice relaxing Splendid theme & it seems to be running fine! It is running faster & smoother than the Portable Apps Chrome IMHO.

I'm impressed :thumb: Well done Portable Apps, this is almost as good as their SeaMonkey release. :)

15. ExtremeGamerBR

ExtremeGamerBR Registered Member

Thanks for the update! :D

16. vasa1

vasa1 Registered Member

1. Some folks over at portableapps.com finally took pity on me and explained why I was dictionary-less (no short form, please). So that problem is solved.

2. I think I've asked this before: is this "faster & smoother" a subjective thing? Candy is dandy but likker is faster?

In my case, I've never been in a position in which the browser has been a limiting factor. It always is the net speed.

So now I have Fx 4RC2, the latest Chrome stable (which has been updated three times after it was released!), and K-Meleon 1.6.0. My main browser will be Fx because of all the cosmetic (and functional?) tweaks I can make. I get my jollies that way.

3. I've dropped Iron since there is no visible support at the forum (if you ignore the odd post or two by one DaveIron), there's no change-log, and there's no explanation for how the miraculous ad blocker works. (For those who believe, no explanation is needed.) I prefer Chrome since it under more scrutiny by those who claim to matter. Plus there's the PDF file viewer & Flash plug-ins that come with it.

17. Daveski17

Cool. :cool: (You have to pay close attention to the installer wizard ;) )

The SRWare zip was about 667 kb & the Portable apps Iron is at least a third that size. It seems more responsive on my laptop, I haven't tried it yet (as I write this) on my 64 bit Win 7 custom built desktop), & I haven't tried it on the rather dodgy XP-running computers at work. Chrome portable was definitely slower & had more hang-ups than SeaMonkey portable. I'm pretty sure I'm not imagining this. I still think that SM has a slight edge on the Portable Apps version of Iron. I was pleasantly surprised by that version of Iron though. Plus I should imagine it is a lot more easy to update than SRWare's zip version! :thumb:

That's important I suppose, so is the OS & power of the computer. I'm only telling you as I see it.

I think Fx 4 will be a huge success. I thought the beta versions I tried were very good. I might not use Fx a great deal these days but I always like it on any computer I own. In fact it is usually the very first thing I download on a new computer. I certainly wasn't overly impressed by IE 9.

Yeah, that DaveIron should have called himself IronDave, it would have been way cooler :cool:. As for the miraculous adblocker, I'd talk to that Fanboy chap. He's OK, I think he's a Kiwi. They're usually easy to get on with (for us Poms anyway).

18. JRViejo

JRViejo Super Moderator

19. Daveski17

Thanks JRViejo, I was wondering when that was going to be updated. :thumb:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.