New install of NOD32 locks my machine

Discussion in 'NOD32 version 2 Forum' started by crombie, Jun 24, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. crombie

crombie Registered Member

The odd thing is the machine is still "available". I can bring up the Alt-Tab window, and when I try Ctrl-Alt-Del I get the little hourglass icon. If I view the on-demand scan window I can see that it still chugs along for awhile. Now I did read the message about NOD32 not working with an older version of Google Desktop search. Is this possibly still the case with a newer version?

2. ronjor

ronjor Global Moderator

Hello Crombie,

What antivirus have you been running before installing NOD32? Any other security programs running on your computer?

Any information you can supply about your system will allow others to help you.

3. crombie

I apologize, I should have had that ready. Previously I had AVG Antispyware 7.5, Windows Defender, and McAfee Enterprise (free from work). AVG was just the 30day trial version that had expired, and I did not have the scanner running. Prior to installing NOD32 I clean un-installed McAfee Enterprise, and Windows Defender since its active scan - along with McAfee - completely missed a virus install that I still have no idea how I got.

So right now the only security program I am running is NOD32 with everything else uninstalled. The machine details are:

Windows XP SP2
    MSI KT880 Delta-FSR (VIA 5.04 Hyperion installed)
    GeForce 7800GS (with 93.71 forceware)
    AthlonXP 2800+
    1GB Micron RAM (PC2100)
    120GB WD (WD1200JB) + 232GB SATA WD (WD25)
    NEC DVD-RW (ND-2510A)
    Power supply: Vantec ION 400B (400W / +3.3V 26A / +5V 30A / +12V 16A)

Regular resident software running:
    - D4 (time syncro)
    - Google Desktop Search
    - MagicTune and Color Calibration for Samsung

I actually just turned off Google Desktop Search this last reboot, and my machine has not locked yet even while using NOD32.

4. crombie

Actually I ended up solving it already. Although I despise rebooting my machine versus shutting down what I found out is that NOD32, and Magictune 3.6 do not play well together. I installed MagicTune 4.0, and this seems to no longer be an issue. Once I realized what software was causing the issue I also found this:

https://www.wilderssecurity.com/archive/index.php/t-114653.html

That might be a handy item to have in the NOD32 FAQ. ;)

5. ronjor

ronjor Global Moderator

Added Magictune to the list. Glad to hear you got it sorted. :)

6. crombie

One thing I will say is that nod32 actually deleted one of the virii that were in a restore point from my email (I have 3000+ junkmail in TBird) versus AVG 7.5 saying it deleted it twice, and actually leaving it there. Now that it does not lock my machine I have to admit I can actually do things I never could before with other antivirus like watch high bandwith video. I am thinking this will be the package that will finally get my money.

7. trjam

trjam Registered Member

Trust me, it is worth every dollar and is only going to get better. :)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.