New Image Not Booting !!!

Discussion in 'Acronis True Image Product Line' started by neilw_uk, May 23, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. neilw_uk

neilw_uk Registered Member

OK I Think the Mods have moved this into a new post.. Please read below the 1st answer for my problem:

Last edited: May 23, 2006
  2. Chutsman

Chutsman Registered Member

An Image will not boot, until you Restore it. However if you Cloned the drive it should boot. In the Cloning method, though, at the end of the process you have to power down, remove or disconnect the original, set the new drive to Master and connect it in place of the original BEFORE you boot with it for the first time.

3. neilw_uk

Image will not boot! Pls Help

Hi,

The disk on my SBS 2003 is about to die. I have used TI to make an image of the C: and M: partitions on the disk to a USB external disk.

I then removed the old HDD and put in a new one in its place. I then booted from the TI CD and used the restore option and selected the 2 partitions which it created and it completed in about 35 mins.. All seemed ok. I then rebooted and ejected the CD for it to boot into SBS and all i get is a flash curser!!!

Any idea why it will not boot? I made sure C: was active and M: was primary.

Please help me as this is a working server and if the old disk fails i am for the chop!!!

(I tried using the clone option, but it said something like it can’t clone and the source disk is an unrecognized format!! It’s an NTFS disk.

Thanks,

Neil

4. neilw_uk

Thanks for the quick reply...

I cant use the clone tool. Disk0 is not listed to clone!!!

I am creating an image to an external USB drive and then removing the old Disk and adding the new one (unpartitioned) and booting from the CD and then using the recovery option from the USB drive into the new HDD.

Any more help?

5. Menorcaman

Menorcaman Retired Moderator

Hello Neil,

If the source drive contained more than just the C: and M: partitions then you need to create an image of whole drive (tick the checkbox next to the disk number - usually Disk 1) in order to capture the Track 0/MBR data. You must then opt to restore the whole drive again when you restore the image to the new drive. If the old drive is smaller than the new replacement then use a partition management utility or this <workaround> to utilise all the available space.

From Build 3567 onwards, TI has the capability to restore the Track 0/MBR data independently of the individual partitions. However, in order for this to work correctly, the replacement drive would need to be set up with the same number of partitions as the original drive prior to restoring the individual partions and the MBR. Check out these previous threads for more details:

<TI-9: Recovery -- MBR and/or XP Problem?>
    <Reflections on Build 3567 and MBR>

Regards

Last edited: May 24, 2006
  6. neilw_uk

Thanks for the reply,

When i create the image i select the whole disk check box like you have said.

When it come to restoring the whole disk is not an option!!! I have to select each partition at a time. Would this be the reason for it not booting?

Thanks,

Neil

7. Menorcaman

Menorcaman Retired Moderator

Hi again Neil,

You will receive better responses if you told us what True Image Version and Build you are currently using.

Regards

8. neilw_uk

Hi,

Its the 14 day trial.. Enterprise Server V9.1

9. Acronis Support

Acronis Support Acronis Support Staff

Hello neilw_uk,

Thank you for your interest in Acronis Remote Server Backup Software.

Please boot your server from Windows Installation CD into Recovery Console, run "fixmbr" command in order to repair the MBR (Master Boot Record) of the hard disk.

If that does not help, please make a digital photo of the window where you choose partitions for restoration.

Please also create Acronis Report of your restored server in the way described below:

- Download and run Acronis Report Utility;
    - Select the "Create Bootable Floppy" option;
    - Insert a blank floppy disk in the A: drive and proceed with creation of the bootable floppy;
    - Boot the computer from this diskette and wait for report creation process to finish;
    - Collect the report file from the floppy.

Please submit a request for technical support using Ask a question before you purchase Acronis software link. Attach all the collected files and information to your request along with the step-by-step description of the actions taken before the problem appears and the link to this thread. We will investigate the problem and try to provide you with the solution as soon as possible.

Thank you.
    --
    Tatyana Tsyngaeva

10. neilw_uk

Thanks for the reply.

I decided to use RAID 1 and then remove the old drive.

When i get time i might give it a try again.

Cheers,

Neil.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.