New heuristics av-test!

Discussion in 'other anti-virus software' started by Firefighter, Jan 27, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Nitrox

Nitrox Registered Member

I'm sure if NOD32 was included it would rank right up there, who knows why they didn't include it.

2. FastGame

FastGame Registered Member

I don't know if I understand your point ? but....there's some Ferrari type AV's in that test.

Looks like NOD32 is losing out in the PR war.

3. metallicakid15

metallicakid15 Registered Member

once again antivir comes up first when it comes to free antiviruses

4. TAP

TAP Registered Member

Trend Micro PC-cillin was beaten by free antivirus (AntiVir, avast!) and was lost among top three (Symantec, McAfee), :eek: but Trend Micro has they own reasons http://www.pcworld.com/reviews/article/0,aid,124163,pg,3,00.asp

Unfortuantely, so called heuristics module in avast! e-mail scanner can't be tested against mass-mailing worms in this test, if so, avast! should score better in heuristics test.

Last edited: Jan 27, 2006
  5. kjempen

kjempen Registered Member

I don't think NOD32 is included in any of Andreas Marx' (AV-Test.org's) tests any more. I seem to remember there was some writing on this forum as to why NOD32 is no longer included in their tests, but I can't remember right now...

(Someone please correct me if I'm wrong.)

6. msu

msu Guest

Several of the replies questioned the scoring and try to place in doubt how the ranking was done. It's in the article, below is a cut and paste. In the article they also explain why the test were run using both 1 and 2 month old definition files - they were trying to determine the effectiveness of the different anti-virus heuristics. It is unfortunate NOD32 was not included, with it's strong emphasis on heuristic detect, but it is still an interesting comparision of the anti-virus programs that were compared. Below the line is the from the article

-------------------------------------------------

Performance Tests Explained

AV-Test, a German security firm, evaluated how well the programs could detect 1518 WildList threats, and 136,250 threats from its own zoo of backdoors programs, bots, and Trojan horses. AV-Test evaluated each program's heuristics by using one-month-old and two-month old versions of the programs, which wouldn't have the benefits of subsequent malware signatures. In the one-month-old heuristic tests, AV-Test saw how well the programs could detect 244 backdoor programs and 37 worms. In the two-month-old heuristic tests, AV-Test saw how well the programs could detect 555 backdoor programs and 101 worms.

AV-Test evaluated how well the programs could detect and clean 110 macro viruses affecting Microsoft Office applications. AV-Test also compiled data on how quickly software companies released virus signatures for 16 new outbreaks over a period of eight months in 2005. PC World tested how quickly each program ran a system scan on a test set of files and folders.

Performance results are a weighted average of WildList tests (30 percent), zoo tests (15 percent), one-month-old heuristic tests (20 percent), two-month-old heuristic tests (10 percent), macro virus results (10 percent), outbreak-response-time tests (10 percent), and scan-speed tests (5 percent).

7. VikingStorm

VikingStorm Registered Member

I was under the impression NOD32 was never included because they could never find a reliable method to measure how how fast NOD32 releases their signatures in response to outbreaks.

8. bellgamin

bellgamin Registered Member

I'm here to fix everything.

If tested, NOD32 would have ranked #1, just slightly ahead of BitDefender.

Cross my heart & hope to die if that's a lie.:cool:

There now, it's alllll right now, wot?... Pax Bellgama

9. danky

danky Guest

i kind of think pcworld is biased.. bitdefender? anyways why is nod32 so popular.. amoung users at this forum? is their a free version?

10. hollywoodpc

hollywoodpc Registered Member

Kinda o_O??
    It is a mag correct ? Then , it is bias . lol .

11. Albinoni

Albinoni Registered Member

I'm really happy to see Bitdefender to score high, great news. I use BD and also NOD32 and highly reccomend them both.

12. wolfeyes

wolfeyes Guest

They left nod 32 out because its a god compared to all those other products.

13. Chuck_IV

Chuck_IV Registered Member

Because one, it's a good AV and two, their official forums are here at Wilders. :)

14. RejZoR

RejZoR Lurker

I mostly miss NOD32 because it's a real pioneer when it comes to strong heuristics. So testing without it looks kinda odd...

15. Brian N

Brian N Registered Member

Crappy test, imho.

16. oldBear

oldBear Registered Member

but since it was done by a pc magazine it just HAS to be good :)

cheers

17. The Hammer

The Hammer Registered Member

Perhaps NOD objected to some aspect of the test and declined an invitation to be tested if indeed such an invitation was made?

18. Mele20

Mele20 Former Poster

If you want to know about NOD32 and Andreas Marx just go read starting about three years ago in the NOD32 forum. No love lost between the two currently and a long history.

I have BD Pro and really like it. Only drawback is that it takes forever to do a complete scan but I hardly ever do those so it doesn't really matter. Plus, I can put on two computers for the price of one. Support is excellent.

19. aigle

aigle Registered Member

Why don,t we write to them about all this esp NOD 32 and where is the response of NOD32 support about not including this AV.

Also I think, I will wait to see if any such test are done by pcmag as well.

20. waters

waters Registered Member

Nod is the best.test is bad,its got to be,nods forum said so.

21. Carver

Carver Registered Member

I've noticed in the past, PCMAG has it favorites. They don't have to be the best, or have the best features. I'd say their magazine is slightly biased.

22. Smokey

Smokey Registered Member

Really?

Please provide me with 1 valid argument for your thesis.

23. QBgreen

QBgreen Registered Member

While it's true that several supeior AV products weren't tested, it confirms again that Softwin is a very serious company. Think about how long they've been around and how powerful BitDefender has become during that short time. When I say BitDefender, I'm refering to the standard version.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.