New HDD wont boot xp-image correctly

Discussion in 'Acronis True Image Product Line' started by laoc16, Nov 28, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. laoc16

laoc16 Registered Member

Hi,

made an Image(with TI 9) of my system-partition (10gig partition on a maxtor 120gig ide drive). Now I created on my new samsung SATA 250gb a partition with 15gb.Both are primary partitions. But after writing the image to the new hdd, xp hangs up in the light-blue starting screen shortly before xp is ready to go.

What could went wrong?
    Is this a case for fixing the mbr?

2. bVolk

bVolk Registered Member

To migrate the system to a new drive by imaging/restoring, you have two straightforward options to make the new drive bootable:

- image and restore the entire disk (Disk 1 checked on both procedures), or

- partition the new drive into the same number of partitions before restoring only C: and the MBR, if required (the size of the partitions is irrelevant).

If you restored only C: to a different partition layout from the original one, you may have to modify boot.ini.

An additional problem may be the change from IDE to SATA. The Windows installation you are now restoring may have no SATA drivers installed. Installing the SATA as a second drive, letting Windows recognize it and only then creating the image that will be restored to the new drive may help.

3. laoc16

laoc16 Registered Member

Yes, after cloning the entire disk, it worked.

THX

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.