New HDD add

Discussion in 'Acronis True Image Product Line' started by selvan777, Sep 9, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. selvan777

selvan777 Registered Member

Hi,

I'm looking for advise on upgrading a HDD in a Notebook.

I have an IBM ThinkPad X20 with a 20GB drive in it but I now have a 40GB drive I'd like to replace it with. The ThinkPad has a removable CD-Rom drive but I'm not able to plug the 40GB drive into it because the pins are physically different. And I do not have the hardware needed to simply plug in a second drive. However, I do have an external USB2 80GB drive I've been using for Back Ups.

What is the best way to accomplish the task?

What I've done so far is burn a Full Back Up to CD's and Cloned the 20GB to the 80GB drive using TI8. The 80 GB drive is now fully formatted with two partitions.

Please advise, thanks.

Selvan

2. Acronis Support

Acronis Support Acronis Support Staff

Hello Selvan --

The best way is to create an image of your 20 Gb drive to the external one and then boot from the bootable CD, plug-in the 40Gb drive instead of the 20Gb one and proceed with the restore.

Thank you.

3. selvan777

Hi Anton,

Thanks for the support.

Let me confirm if I may. When you say "create an image", do you mean click on "Create Image" or "Disk Clone", or "Add New Disk"? Being that they all create an image and especially since the help file itself uses both "clone" and "create image" in the same sentence (as pasted here: you can clone a hard disk by creating its image), it gets a bit confusing.

Also, when restoring, am I clicking on "Restore Image" or am I finishing the "Disk Clone" or "Add New Disk" job?

Lastly, since the HDD is not physically accessible when the CD-Rom is attached, I'll have to replace the 20GB with the 40GB before I can boot from from the CD, will that be a problem?

Thanks again.

4. selvan777

Okay, never mind, with nothing to loose I went ahead with the program.

All worked flawlessly.

From the 20GB local drive to the 80GB external usb2, I clicked "Create Image".
    Powered down the laptop, unplugged the 20GB and plugged in the 40GB.
    Booted up with the Boot CD and restored the image, I clicked "Restore Image".

TI8 kept the two partitioning as is and made them so one had 48% free space and the other, 25%. Along with about 16GB unallocated.

I later rearranged the space as I saw fit using other software.

See yas

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.