New hard Drive

Discussion in 'Acronis True Image Product Line' started by buckeye44044, Feb 2, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. buckeye44044

buckeye44044 Registered Member

Hello,

I am new to this site, I find it very informative.

I need to install a new drive in a system, I have an image of the old hd. I want to use my laptop, connect the hard drive, and restore the image before I install the hd in the computer, is this possible? Can I install the image to a new hard drive? What is the procedure?

I have TI10.0

I have looked all over, any help is appreciated.

Thanks.

2. DwnNdrty

DwnNdrty Registered Member

Yes, you can Recover the Image to the new hard drive.

You have to make the bootable TRue Image Rescue CD, boot with it and use the Recover feature to restore the Image.

For more details, look for any message by GroverH and in his signature are links to instructions for anything to do with True Image.

3. GroverH

GroverH Registered Member

Your chances of success would be improved if you were to install the new drive in final destination and then restore the image from an external to the new drive.

4. Dave49

Dave49 Registered Member

Is it possible to put the new drive into the system, install the OS and Acronis, and then just run restore from the image to the new HDD from the Acronis program?

Also, is the Acronis installation CD bootable itself?

~Dave

5. buckeye44044

Thanks for the replies. The consensus seems to be install the drive, use the bootable rescue disk, and then restore the image, am I correct?

I have an external drive, so this would be easy to do.

6. Big Tom

Big Tom Registered Member

buckeye,
    There is an easier way to achieve this with the "disk clone" function of the disk director suite (the trial version is sufficient). Simply hook the second drive up to your computer, start the clone, then remove the old one and if ATA drives, jumper the new one to be master and you are ready to go. That way you would not even need to re-activate XP as it copies the disk id as well.

Tom

7. GroverH

Whether it's a consensus or not is questionable, but many would agree that suggestion being very workable.

As BigTom correctly illustrates, you have two options in creating a replacement drive. You can clone or your can restore an image. Either will work. As to which is best, it like asking which brand of car is better--we all have our preferences.

Assuming that you plan to restore an image.
    1. Attach the new drive into its final intended position with the proper jumpers & connectors.
    2. Bootup using the TI Rescue CD.
    3. Restore the image from its storage on another drive--internal or external.

Requirements:
    a. You need a full disk backup image archive of all your partitions on the system drive.
    b. You must choose whether to perform a disk restore or a partition restore.
    If the replacment disk is the same size as the original disk, a disk restore works best and is the easiest. This assumes that the replacement is identical to the original
    If the replacement disk is smaller or larger, then a "Partition restore with resizing" works best. You restore each partiton individually but all in the single pass.​
    Link to my beginners guide in my signature below.
    The Backup guide illustrates how to create a full disk backup archive where the "disk" is ticked for backup.

The Restore guide illustrates how to restore the "disk" backup to an identical sized disk.​
    My "Partition Restore with Resizing" pdf is found in post #32 of the link below. You may also find the thread helpful.
    https://www.wilderssecurity.com/showthread.php?t=196961&page=2#32
    This pdf shows how to use a full "disk" backup archive and restore multi-partitions onto a larger disk. User adjusting the partition sizes according to their needs. My resizing illustration gives you the general principles but may not match your requirements exactly.

Remember, TI enables you to practice or simulate all its functions and procedures thru all the steps up until you reach the "Proceed" screen. At this point, you can quit by pressing the Cancel button or click the Proceed button to begin the actual operation.

8. GroverH

I'm not following your question. If you have a retail version of TI, then you create a backup of an old drive and restore it onto a new blank drive--without any drive preparation.

Yes, a retail install disk is bootable but may not be the latest build with the latest drivers. Updating to the latest build and creating a new updated Rescue CD is recommended .

Many of us recommend un-installing the old before installing the new. Have your serial number handy for the re-install.

9. dbknox

dbknox Registered Member

Yes but, I am wondering why you would do it this way. ( I not sure if I understand your question or not, forgive me if I am wrong) By simply restoring your image/backup you would end up with the same results and be saving the time you took installing OS and TI. In other words installing the os and TI is not necessary if recovering from the rescue disk. ( providing of course your rescue disk sees your drives.) When I added a new drive I simply unplugged the old drive, plugged in the new drive and restored my image using the rescue disk. Both drives were identical in size. If you are recovering to a larger disk the you would use the "Disk utilities", that comes with TI. ( The resulting image will show up with a drive the same size as the one you are replacing). Or use the "secure Zone" trick posted elsewhere on this site. Remember there are a lot of people who will help you here on this forum.

The "rescue" CD is bootable.
    Make sure you make a "rescue" CD and test it, by booting up with it, to see if all your drives are shown. Make an image using the rescue CD and verify it.
    Good luck!!

10. buckeye44044

Thanks for the info, I appreciate it.

11. Dave49

Dave49 Registered Member

Please see:

https://www.wilderssecurity.com/showthread.php?p=1175381#post1175381

The installation CD does not boot my machine. And rescue disks I make don't boot it either.

~Dave

12. shieber

shieber Registered Member

Then make a vistaPE disk. If your'e making backups, then it's 99.9% certain you can do restores with a VistaPE disk and Mustang's plug in.

13. Dave49

Dave49 Registered Member

Ok, I am a complete and utter moron. You'll never guess how simple this was for me. I have 2 DVD drives on my machine. One is a reader, and the other one is a RW drive. I was trying to boot from the RW drive, and it was being ignored. So, being the dense guy I am, I finally tried it in the reader. All my disks boot just fine now. I am a jerk, and I'm embarrassed. Sorry for wasting everyones time with my stupidity. :oops:

~Dave

14. shieber

Thanks for reporting back on the solution. It can help someone down the road.

15. dbknox

dbknox Registered Member

I have to jump in here because my computer boots from my W/R drive. I wonder if it is the name (Alpha letter) of the drive. My writer is "E" and my Rom drive is "F" does the computer boot by "alpha"? How are your drives assigned? Just curious.

16. Dave49

Dave49 Registered Member

My reader is D:, and my RW is E:

My BIOS does not list the drive letters to use in boot order. It just shows:

ATA Drive
    EIDE Drive
    Floppy Drive
    CD drives
    etc.

~Dave

17. shieber

Drive letters are asigned by the OS and the boot drive has already been determined when an OS is loading. The boot order and bootability of various drives is determined in the motherboard BIOS settings.

18. GroverH

Dig further into your bios settings and see if you have a more choices.
    ----------------------------------------------------------------------
    When instructing the BIOS on your selection boot sequences, not all computers have the same BIOS options,

For example, on mine,

First:
    I must choose which type of device is to be first.
    Floppy or CD or Hard drive or usb.

Second:

After that device option is selected, then I go to another screen and select which of my multiple hard drives is to be the actual boot drive.

I also have two IDE burners and both bootable. It will boot from whichever has a bootable CD in its tray.

My grandson has a HP desktop on which he can press a boot key, and all his devices and drives appear on one screen and he can simply chose which devices is to be the boot device.

19. Dave49

Dave49 Registered Member

My boot order screen is as I listed above. To change the boot order, I have to highlight the drive type, and press U for up, or D for down. And it moves the drive to the desired place in boot sequence.

~Dave

20. dbknox

dbknox Registered Member

So it looks like to me that the first drive letter is selected by default.

21. Dave49

Dave49 Registered Member

I'm not sure I know what you mean. I have a Dell Bios ver. A04

~Dave

22. dbknox

dbknox Registered Member

Let me try to explain my logic ( right or wrong) You posted the following first.
    Then after I posted telling you that my computer boots from my writer and my disks are named Writer=E, reader=F. You posted this.
    Ie: my writer is the first Alpha name and my reader (CD rom) is the second Alpha named drive. E then F. Mine boots to E my Writer and not the reader F.
    Yours on the other hand are reader first "D" writer second "E" drive. Yours boots to D your reader and not your writer E.
    Hence it seems that our bios are defaulted to pick the first letter in the alphabet.
    Does this seem logical to you or am I alone in my thinking?

23. Dave49

Dave49 Registered Member

[/B]

Actually it seems to check eack drive in the boot order for a bootable disk. If it doesn't find one, it keeps going to the next drive looking for one. So why it won't recognize the disk in the RW drive, is unknown to me.

~Dave

24. DwnNdrty

DwnNdrty Registered Member

Try disconnecting the Reader and see if the cd will boot from the Writer. Or switch around the ribbon cables.

25. dbknox

dbknox Registered Member

Mine also flashes on the reader at bootup ( more than once) but, will not boot from it.
    Bottom line you got your machine booting from a DVD/CD.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.