New Hard Drive

Discussion in 'Acronis True Image Product Line' started by jbryce, Jun 11, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. jbryce

jbryce Registered Member

Hi There

This is my first post, however I have spent the last 45 minutes searching the forums trying to find out how I do this but no luck.

My hard drive is dying. I have been creating an image to my external hard drive and would like to restore it.

How do I do this? Do I need to install the OS (XP)? Do I need to install Acronis True Image Corporate Workstation 8? Or is there some other way that will rebuild it?

Thanks
    Justin

2. GroverH

GroverH Registered Member

3. Xpilot

Xpilot Registered Member

Provided you have included the whole of your existing drive in the External drive image the actual restoration process is very simple. First remove your dying drive and insert your replacement using the same connections as your old drive. Then boot with the Acronis recovery CD and recover the image to your new drive. No formatting or other preparation of the new drive is needed. Just follow the recovery prompts and you will be up and running again.
    There are some finer points such as bringing unallocated space into use if you have fitted a larger hard drive as the replacement. Again this is not difficult to do and there is a method I use which takes about 3 minutes max. This may seem a bit odd and is not in the manuals but it works for all builds of Version 8 and 9 and probably earlier builds.
    Create a secure zone on the new drive using up the unallocated space. Now delete the secure zone using the same wizard and you will be able to expand your partion to bring the newly freed space into use.

Xpilot.

edited to fix quote tag - Detox

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 12, 2006
  4. Menorcaman

Menorcaman Retired Moderator

Hello Justin,

Xpilot has provided good advice on how to expand a single partition on a larger replacement drive.

However, if you need to expand multiple partitions during an image restore then it requires another approach. As you appear to be using TI 8.0 (which doesn't backup the MBR unless you image the whole of your system drive) I recommend using the procedure I posted in this <earlier reply>.

Should you ever update to the latest version of TI 9 or 9.1 then you would need to use the slightly different procedure posted in this previous thread titled <I thought TI9 did this.......>.

Regards

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.