New hard drive issue.

Discussion in 'backup, imaging & disk mgmt' started by The Red Moon, Apr 13, 2017.

1. The Red Moon

The Red Moon Registered Member

About 6 months ago i purchased a new HDD for my laptop and to my horror it has over 600 bad sectors.Incredibly it has run fine and i currently use linux lite with no issues.
    When i buy a new HDD is there any formal procedures i should perform before installing a linux distro.?
    Before i just bought the HDD and formatted it then installed the distro.

Thank You,

2. roger_m

roger_m Registered Member

There's nothing special you need to do, it seems you just got unlucky and got a bad drive. What software reported the bad errors?

3. The Red Moon

The Red Moon Registered Member

hi roger,
    The gnome disk utility is reporting the errors.It does not seem to affect the system in any profound way,just thought maybe i should of done some form of special formatting prior to install.
    But indeed i think your right i may have been unlucky in that regard.

4. roger_m

roger_m Registered Member

If you were able to try the drive in Windows. Hard Disk Sentinel, reads the SMART diagnostic data from a hard drive, and gives a very good explanation of the condition of the drive, and if it needs to be replaced.

5. gorblimey

gorblimey Registered Member

The act of formatting rounds up the bad sectors and fences them off. Chkdsk will do the same, but attempt to recover data fromn the sectors. I assume the same holds for *nix. DId you check the label on the HDD for a bad sector count? 600 is on the dodgy side these days.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.