New Hard Drive for Backup Sys

Discussion in 'other software & services' started by WilliamP, Dec 2, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. WilliamP

WilliamP Registered Member

I have a CMS Peripherials Automatic back up system with a 40 GB hard drive. I would like to put a larger drive in it. They told me that I would have to use one of their hard drives . When I asked why, I was told that their drives were hard coded to work with their program. Their software is sold to be used by anyone. Can this be fact or ballony?

2. nod32_9

nod32_9 Guest

Probably pure BS. A HD stores 0s and 1s. I would suggest that you avoid this vendor like a plague.

I know that HD mfrs do use special codes to limit the capacity of a HD. For example, a single HD disc platter can store up to 80 GB of data. But the vendor can limit the usable capacity to 40 GB by changing the software portion of the drive controller. A 40 GB HD doesn't cost any more $ than an 80 Gigger.

Clever marketing.

3. Peter2150

Peter2150 Global Moderator

Hi William

It might relate to the interface in their external box. In all honesty if it were me I think I'd bite the bullet and move on from CMS, especially if you are going to buy a bigger drive. When I was looking there 5400rpm drives were slowere then bigger competitor drives running at 7200rpm. Enough said.

Pete

4. WilliamP

WilliamP Registered Member

Pete, when I bought this system external hard drives were pretty expensive. Then you had to get the software. I also like the idea that the drive would be bootable,in the event of a drive failure. I would just like to change from the 40 GB to a 120 GB drive. I just don't think they have special hard coded drives for their systems. You had tried Bounce Back and didn't need a special drive.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.