Mozilla Firefox Browser Stable Version Releases

Discussion in 'other software & services' started by JRViejo, Mar 18, 2014.

1. guest

guest Guest

Wise decision :thumb:

2. vasa1

vasa1 Registered Member

Hi Bo!

I don't use NoScript but I think the main thing that can't be done right away for Fx 57 is something related to browsing via Tor. The API for that is not yet available from Mozilla but is planned for a later Fx version. At least that's what I understand.

I've been using Fx57 full-time for as long as it's been in beta and now it's RC1. I don't mind it at all :)

My extensions are uBlock origin, Stylus (in place of Stylish) and Tampermonkey (in place of Greasemonkey).

3. bo elam

bo elam Registered Member

Hi Vasa, I haven't gone full time with Firefox 57 but tested it and later versions also a few times this past few months with nice results every time. :)

Bo

4. guest

guest Guest

Tomorrow Firefox 57 will be released:

Firefox 57 release overview

https://www.ghacks.net/2017/11/13/firefox-57-release-overview/

5. xxJackxx

xxJackxx Registered Member

6. Victek

Victek Registered Member

Also available on the Mozilla.org archive server. I installed the 64 bit v57 on my test machine and it looks fine. Note that it removed all of the incompatible add-ons without warning; they are not disabled, they're gone. v57 brings back rectangular tabs, which should please all of the folks who have been using Classic Theme Restorer. Personally I've always liked Australis, but losing it is not a big deal. It certainly loads quickly, but I'll have a better sense of how performance compares with v56 when I install it on my main system tomorrow (we'll see if it gets pushed out via the internal updater). I had v56 set to use hardware acceleration with the content process limit set to 4 and that setting was preserved.

By the way, based on talk in the Tab Mix Plus forum it looks like it will eventually become available as a webextension; no ETA though.

7. hayc59

hayc59 Updates Team

work well with windows xp?

8. BoerenkoolMetWorst

BoerenkoolMetWorst Registered Member

I thought recent versions do not even install on XP anymore. They dropped XP support since v53.

9. xxJackxx

They might as well be gone if there is no update coming, but are you sure they actually are? I remember through the beta they would be disabled and removed from the page that the working add-ons were on, but you could still see the disabled ones by clicking a link. I don't remember the exact wording and layout, and I don't currently have any installed to check.

I think anyone that hasn't run any of the beta versions of 57 will be pleasantly surprised by it. Much better than anything they have released in recent times.

10. hawki

hawki Registered Member

"Add-ons and themes that have been disabled are listed under legacy extensions on about:addons. Options to remove them and to use the new "find a replacement" feature are provided."

https://www.ghacks.net/2017/11/13/firefox-57-release-overview/

11. xxJackxx

Thanks, that's what I was talking about, just couldn't think of what it was called.

12. guest

guest Guest

As said above, Firefox 52 was the last version for Windows XP.
    But Firefox ESR can still be used on XP/Vista:

13. Victek

Victek Registered Member

Thanks for this. :thumb:

I should have said the legacy extensions are removed from the list of active extensions. Now that I've looked more closely I see that on left side there is a separate Legacy Extensions category which displays the list of disabled extensions. Each item includes a "Find a Replacement" button and also a "Remove" button. This is much better :)

Attached Files:

14. WildByDesign

WildByDesign Registered Member

Firefox Quantum 64-bit on RS3 - Process Mitigations (EAF+ modules as well)

This is my preliminary test settings which are working great with Firefox Quantum 64-bit on RS3 64-bit.

Save as .reg file and add to registry. If you are not running RS3 64-bit,do not try this.

I don't think that the EAFModules section allows for variables which would be beneficial for Flash module updates.

Code:
    Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\Image File Execution Options\firefox.exe]
    "MitigationOptions"=hex:11,13,11,01,01,01,10,11,00,00,11,11,01,01,00,00
    "MitigationAuditOptions"=hex:00,00,00,00,00,00,20,02,00,00,22,22,02,02,00,00
    "EAFModules"="mozjs.dll;xul.dll;omni.ja;plugin-container.exe;NPSWF64_27_0_0_183.dll"

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\Image File Execution Options\plugin-container.exe]
    "MitigationOptions"=hex:11,13,11,01,01,01,10,11,00,00,11,11,01,01,00,00
    "MitigationAuditOptions"=hex:00,00,00,00,00,00,20,02,00,00,22,22,02,02,00,00
    "EAFModules"="mozjs.dll;xul.dll;omni.ja;plugin-container.exe;NPSWF64_27_0_0_183.dll"

15. Trooper

Trooper Registered Member

What exactly is this doing good sir?

16. WildByDesign

WildByDesign Registered Member

Essentially adds most of the Process Mitigations from Windows Defender Exploit Guard, including all of the recently added ROP mitigations from EMET and some extra EAF+ protection for specified modules.

17. hayc59

hayc59 Updates Team

mood do you have a link to the latest version i can use? thank you

18. paulderdash

paulderdash Registered Member

I have set my 'legacy' profile to 'Never check for updates (not recommended)' but looking forward to updating to FF 57 with my WE-only profile.

Thanks @hawki.

19. BoerenkoolMetWorst

BoerenkoolMetWorst Registered Member

It is good that they disable addons instead of removing them. Disabled addons are still updated, so when a developer releases a webextension version after v57 release he won't have lost his userbase.

The Find a replacement feature only works for a few of my legacy extensions, with most of them instead of showing a replacement, it opens the Featured Add-ons page.
    Strangely, it does show a replacement for NoScript even though NS should get a Webextension release asap.

20. guest

guest Guest

XP: Firefox v52.0.2 (March 2017) or Firefox ESR:

21. Victek

Victek Registered Member

Firefox v56 just updated to v57 via internal updater...

22. vasa1

vasa1 Registered Member

On Linux too :)

23. JRViejo

JRViejo Super Moderator

24. JRViejo

JRViejo Super Moderator

25. Carver

Carver Registered Member

I'm on Firefox 56.2, this morning I checked Firefox's internal updater to see if Firefox 56.2 was ready to be updated or would I have to go to MajorGeeks to download Firefox 57.0. It was ready a first :), usually the new Firefox is on Majorgeeks before it is released on Firefox's internal updater.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.