Mozilla Firefox Browser Stable Version Releases

Discussion in 'other software & services' started by JRViejo, Mar 18, 2014.

1. mantra

mantra Registered Member

hi yes i'm thinking about it or use the restore feature (don't know the exact name in english) firefox does backup the profile on the desktop zip or 7zip (i don't remember) and create a new profile without loosing bookmarks and passwords
    thanks

2. bo elam

bo elam Registered Member

Hi Mantra, I am using CTR, NoScript, Download YouTube videos as MP4 and UBO. And 0 plugins. I am using pretty much same amount in W7 and W10. I remember seeing 700 or 800MB in XP but never in this computers. I think my RAM for Firefox is low but probably most peoples numbers are closer to what you get than what I get. :)

Bo

3. bo elam

Let me show you a SBIE trick for quickly testing a new Firefox profile without messing anything. Create a shortcut using the path below, the shortcut runs Firefox Profile manager in a sandbox named Mantra. So, you need to create the shortcut and a new sandbox (name it Mantra). Set the sandbox to delete on closing but don't copy settings from an existing sandbox.

"C:\Program Files\Sandboxie\Start.exe" /box:Mantra "C:\Program Files (x86)\Mozilla Firefox\firefox.exe" -no-remote -P "NewProfile"

Bo

4. summerheat

summerheat Registered Member

I was comparing the RAM usage as shown in your 2 pictures, i.e. with and without multiprocessing. Wasn't that obvious?

5. guest

guest Guest

"saved password editor" and "Password Exporter" should support multiprocessing (and after installing them, multi-processing was indeed still enabled)

I have downloaded the extensions, extracted them and looked into the file "install.rdf". If "multiprocessCompatible" has the value "true", it should support it:
    (Btw.: For users of complete themes, they always disable multiprocessing)
    Code:
    secure_login-1.2.5-fx.xpi
    <em:multiprocessCompatible>false</em:multiprocessCompatible>

saved_password_editor-2.10.3-fx+sm+tb.xpi
    <multiprocessCompatible>true</multiprocessCompatible>

password_exporter-1.3.4-fx+tb.xpi
    <em:multiprocessCompatible>true</em:multiprocessCompatible>

adguard_adblocker-2.6.7-fx.xpi
    <em:multiprocessCompatible>true</em:multiprocessCompatible>

6. mantra

mantra Registered Member

Hi Bo
    created a new profile under sandboxie and look ...
    new profile -> low ram consume 8 heavy tabs (photos and videos)
    http://i.imgur.com/EVIm8Nk.png
    new profile -> with adguard , password exporter , and password editor and the same 8 heavy tabs (photos and videos)
    http://i.imgur.com/PAjjitI.png

@mood
    hi you are right , it's secure login the culprit

7. paulderdash

paulderdash Registered Member

I have created a new profile under FF 55.0.2 with only extensions compatible with multiprocess, and (nearly all) compatible with FF 57+.

However, 'Multiprocess is not enabled'. About:support shows '0/1 (Disabled by accessibility tools)'.

I can't imagine what is causing this. A FF restart without add-ons shows same. I have tried unticking Options>Advanced>General>Show a touch keyboard ...

Does anyone have any suggestions? Else is it safe to force-enable as discussed here? https://www.ghacks.net/2016/07/22/multi-process-firefox/

You may force-enable multi-process functionality in Firefox. I recommend that you backup your user profile before you do.
    1. Type about:config in the browser's address bar and hit enter.
    2. Right-click and select New > Boolean.
    3. Name it browser.tabs.remote.force-enable.
    4. Set its value to true.

8. guest

guest Guest

@paulderdash Hi
    Can you search for accessibility in about:config window and show a screenshot of the result? I have a hunch just want to confirm it.

9. paulderdash

Hope you have a solution ...

Attached Files:

10. guest

guest Guest

I think this will help you:-
    Right click the entry - accessibility.lastLoadDate and select reset. Restart the browser and see if it fixes it for you.

11. paulderdash

I did try that already without success, but let me give it another go.

Edit: Nope, multiprocess still disabled. Do you think it's safe to force-enable it (though I'd prefer to find the cause!).

12. guest

guest Guest

Did you do a browser restart?
    In my case it was caused by using snagit which enabled the accessibility tools and resetting the last load date fixed that for me. By the way, I also resetted the flashbar entry to 1 so that it would notify me again if the accessibility tools are turned on again.
    I see you use SBIE, what if you try this out of SBIE, maybe SBIE is enabling it?
    Personally, I too would find the cause and not force enable it.

13. paulderdash

14. guest

guest Guest

Yep it could be your touchscreen
    https://www.reddit.com/r/firefox/comments/69kdcb/multiprocess_windows_01_disabled_by_accessibility/

15. guest

guest Guest

"Currently electrolysis is blocked from running on Windows if recent accessibility use is detected"
    Try to change the following options (i have left out browser.tabs.remote.force-enable which was also mentioned on the website)

16. Victek

Victek Registered Member

17. JRViejo

JRViejo Super Moderator

18. bo elam

To me, it wasn't obvious. But I agree, not difference with or without multiproces. Perhaps after using the browser for a long while watching videos, then closing the video tabs, RAM would drop quicker with Multiprocess enabled.

Bo

19. bo elam

The way I know how to reproduce "0/1 (Disabled by accessibility tools)" is by opening the On screen keyboard and type something in Search. I do it in Google search. If you do this while running Firefox with Multiprocess enabled, you ll get a prompt like the one below. If you click Enable (Requires Restart), Multprocess becomes Disabled by accessibility tools after Firefox restarts and remains that way for good.

Sin título1.jpg

Bo

20. JRViejo

JRViejo Super Moderator

FYI. Firefox 55.0.3 released August 25, 2017. Available via Internal Updater (5.7 MB - 32-bit).

Release Notes (available now).

Last edited: Aug 25, 2017
  21. paulderdash

Thanks @guest @mood

I suppose it could be Roboform password manager as well (though the add-on does show as compatible with multiprocess), and multiprocess was still disabled after a restart with add-ons disabled, though this could be a lastLoadDate / loadedInLastSession thing ...
    • Desktop automation utilities (password fillers, window shortcut clients)
    Will have to play around. Maybe back up profile first, though it would be simple enough to recreate from scratch.
    Thanks Bo. I know you disable Multiprocess, to avoid potential issues in SBIE. But in my case I am trying to switch it On, with a new WebExtensions-only profile, just to see it in action. If it causes problems, I will undo the settings above.

Edit: Thanks again, guys.

The suggestion in this link (and the reddit post) worked: https://wiki.mozilla.org/Electrolysis/Accessibility

I hadn't previously tried setting accessibility.force_disabled to 1. I wonder if that's a 'good' thing, and what would happen if I reset it to 0 now. But I'll leave it as is for now :).

And my password manager still works.

Edit 2: I do see this though: https://www.ghacks.net/2017/05/27/firefox-54-multi-content-processes/

Some Firefox installations are still not eligible for Firefox's multi-process architecture. This includes systems with accessibility tools or settings enabled. Multiple processes won't be enabled for users with extensions either, regardless of whether those are legacy add-ons, or WebExtensions.
    (? - even if add-ons are multi-process compatible?)

Maybe it's best not to fiddle, but I have not noticed anything untoward so far.

I won't push it though, and leave dom.ipc.processCount=1 for now.

Last edited: Aug 26, 2017
  22. bo elam

I thought you wanted to know the cause for About:support displaying for you 0/1 (Disabled by accessibility tools), thats why I replied telling you how I know it can be reproduced. Perhaps this information can give you a clue.
    Resetting "accessibility.lastLoadDate" does it for me.

Bo

23. JRViejo

JRViejo Super Moderator

FYI. Schedule Update.

24. JRViejo

JRViejo Super Moderator

25. JRViejo

JRViejo Super Moderator

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.