Mozilla Firefox Browser Stable Version Releases

Discussion in 'other software & services' started by JRViejo, Mar 18, 2014.

1. JRViejo

JRViejo Super Moderator

Trooper, you're welcome! Take care.

2. JRViejo

JRViejo Super Moderator

3. JRViejo

JRViejo Super Moderator

FYI. Schedule Update.

4. Stupendous Man

Stupendous Man Registered Member

July 5, Firefox 101.0.1 was updated to 102.0, on Kubuntu 20.04.
    Firefox version 102.0.1 has yet to be rolled out on Kubuntu, that'll be after the weekend, I guess.
    Also, July 5, Adblock Plus was updated to 3.14.1.

Since the update to Firefox 102.0 and the Adblock Plus update, I notice an issue with Firefox:
    After booting up Kubuntu and cold booting Firefox, after some time Firefox hangs (in about 30 minutes, with 4-10 tabs open).

Using too much memory or CPU is not the issue.
    Closing Firefox and starting it resolves the issue, and now it does not hang after some time.
    Edit - Just now, I noticed that the issue may return later in the session, unfortunately.

There's no difference in setting Enhanced Tracking Protection 'Strict', or Custom with all third-party cookies blocked.
    I haven't ruled out Adblock Plus 3.14.1, yet. Too much of a hassle for now to switch to uBlock Origin to see if that makes a difference.

For now, I'll wait for Firefox 102.0.1, to see if the 'Various stability fixes' include a fix for the issue mentioned above.
    My question:
    Is there a way to find out what fixes are included in the 'Various stability fixes' for Firefox 102.0.1?
    I've been searching, but to no avail.

Last edited: Jul 9, 2022
  5. JRViejo

JRViejo Super Moderator

6. Stupendous Man

Thanks, JRViejo,
    But those are the security fixes, of course.
    I am interested in the stability fixes mentioned in the 102.0.1 release notes.

By the way, where I first wrote, "Closing Firefox and starting it resolves the issue, and now it does not hang after some time."
    Just now, I noticed that the issue may return later in the session, unfortunately.
    Let's see if the mentioned stability fixes in 102.0.1 address that issue.

7. JRViejo

JRViejo Super Moderator

8. Stupendous Man

Yes, thanks, I read what Martin wrote, earlier.
    But I wondered if, since then, there was some overview of those stability fixes, somewhere.
    I suppose not.
    So I'll just have to wait for 102.0.1 on Kubuntu, and see if that addresses the issue that I mentioned.
    Thanks again, JRViejo. :thumb:

9. JRViejo

JRViejo Super Moderator

Sometimes Mozilla works in mysterious ways. ;) You're welcome! Take care.

10. Stupendous Man

In Firefox 102.0 Settings (about:preferences), under Performance, when I remove the check for 'Use recommended performance settings', I see that 'Use hardware acceleration when available' is checked. Some Firefox versions ago, that was not the setting on Kubuntu.

I wonder when hardware acceleration was enabled by default in Firefox on Kubuntu.
    I see a few Reddit posts mentioning hardware acceleration enabled in Firefox 102 on Linux, but difficult to interpret and with no sources mentioned.

Anyhow, I'll disable hardware acceleration for now and see how that goes. If that makes any difference, if I see no more hangs, I can re-enable it after the 102.0.1 update and see if the issue was fixed with that update.
    First time I need to troubleshoot Firefox, I believe.

11. Stupendous Man

That did not help at all.
    With five Firefox tabs open, of which two YouTube clips, Firefox hang in about ten minutes.
    I'll have to wait for Firefox 102.0.1 to see if the 'Various stability fixes' include a fix for this issue.

12. Spartan

Spartan Registered Member

Only Firefox hangs or the entire system crashes?

Did you try this?

PC Settings > System > Display > Graphics

Add Firefox to the list and set it as power saving

2022-07-09_21h50_37.png

13. nicolaasjan

nicolaasjan Registered Member

That's a Windows setting. ;)
    He's using Kubuntu 20.04.4 LTS.

Last edited: Jul 9, 2022
  14. nicolaasjan

Have you already tried if the issue persists in Troubleshoot mode ("Probleemoplossingsmodus" in Dutch)?
    If not, then a preference or extension might be the culprit.

I have Firefox 102.0.1 on my Linux Mint 20.3 via PPA.

15. Stupendous Man

It's only Firefox that hangs, not the entire system.
    Everything else than Firefox works great, so I suppose it has something to do with Firefox 102.0, or Adblock Plus 3.14.1 (or even the July 7 VT4Browsers 4.0.6 update).

And as nicolaasjan said, I use Kubuntu, not Windows.

No, I haven't tested in Troubleshoot Mode yet, as it can take a long time before the issue arises and I don't feel comfortable to work without blocker.
    I still have hope the issue will be fixed with 102.0.1. If not, then I must do some more intensive troubleshooting.

Regarding the PPA, I know that's an option, but as I never had issues with Firefox before, I didn't consider the PPA.

16. Brummelchen

Brummelchen Registered Member

install 102.0.1!

because 102.0.1 has a lot of not further named fixes concerning stability.

17. Stupendous Man

I sure will, thanks, Brummelchen. :)
    Yes, I noticed the unspecified 'Various stability fixes' in the 102.0.1 release notes, as I mentioned.
    However, the fact is that 102.0.1 is not yet offered through the (K)ubuntu repositories, I hope next Monday or Tuesday.

18. Brummelchen

thats why also Linux user should rely on the official builds from Mozilla which are in time. this package crap for firefox - and there were a lot of complaints about firefox where the -ix rollout is failing, is kinda annoying.

and i am pretty sure that you install an english build and the language addon - this combination is failing also sometimes.

19. Stupendous Man

Since I use Kubuntu, January 2020, the (K)ubuntu repository updates for Firefox usually were a little later than the Mozilla release date. However, it seems that recent updates are considerably later. If there's something that needs fixing, that can be annoying, indeed.
    In the latest Kubuntu LTS version, 22.04, Firefox is as a snap version, which should update instantly, not delayed as the repository updates. So that should fix the issue of delayed Firefox updates. I will upgrade later this year.

Do you mean English build with Dutch language, because I'm in the Netherlands?
    How can you be so sure about what I install and use? :)
    I use US English for OS and Firefox and all other applications.

20. nicolaasjan

I will never ever use "snap" packages from Ubuntu. You're not in control any more (they auto-update without asking).

Opinion of the main Linux Mint developer here:
    https://blog.linuxmint.com/?p=3906.

21. Stupendous Man

I am aware of concerns about snap.
    I'm not that happy about it, either. All I was saying was that it would fix the delay from the repository updates.

22. nicolaasjan

This PPA repo I mentioned is always very fast with new releases. :)
    Usually they have one even before Mozilla publishes it officially.
    (at your own risk of course)

Other option is to download the official Mozilla tarball from:
    https://archive.mozilla.org/pub/firefox/releases/
    Extract it to /opt/firefox and make a custom launcher.

23. Brummelchen

24. Stupendous Man

By now, it looks to me as if that issue may be related to Firefox 102.0 bug 1777419, 'Delete cookies and site data when Firefox is closed' checkbox getting disabled on startup, which is fixed in Firefox 102.0.1.
    As the (K)ubuntu repository version of Firefox 102.0.1 was not yet offered (I expect it to be offered some time today, Tuesday), and as I found bug 1777419 rather annoying, for this reason each time I started Firefox I tended to check the box for 'Delete cookies and site data when Firefox is closed'.
    That was until I noticed that when I didn't put that check, Firefox did not hang/ freeze. I'm not definitely sure, but that is the picture that I got over the past two days.
    Not having 'Delete cookies and site data when Firefox is closed' checked isn't even an issue, as the same is taken care of by my 'Clear history when Firefox closes' settings.

Last edited: Jul 12, 2022
  25. Brummelchen

is 102.0.1 offered now?
    at least the packaging system bores helpers because it does not offer urgent updates in time and people complain about firefox. yes there is a bug, but it was fixed. look forward to the update, not to a workaround.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.