Mozilla Firefox Browser Stable Version Releases

Discussion in 'other software & services' started by JRViejo, Mar 18, 2014.

1. Brummelchen

Brummelchen Registered Member

this is idd a two sided sharp sword. firefox ofc need some vital connections on startup, but you can disable a lot but this would mean in most cases to lower the security of firefox itself which is not replaceable with some kind of extension or some kind of 3rd-party security software. any other is fooling yourself.
    that is not true. firefox setup can install maintenance service which elevates the update process, in any other case user have to elevate/allow that process, UAC. currently mozilla enables a new feature for some users with windows where firefox is updated through windows when not running. i think that happened to Trooper - look into firefox settings. but be aware, updates are vital and important! v94 fixes again some critical issues
    https://www.mozilla.org/en-US/security/advisories/mfsa2021-48/

(v94.0.1 fixes only or mac-os, mozilla may not distribute 94.0.1 to other OS than those, that happened before, there is no reason for windows or linux to update, nevertheless that installation is available)

even a portable firefox is able to update itself without any additional help - if user have enough rights on the host to do that.
    Google installs a general update service for all installed google programs, that may have advantage, i would call it bloated. edge same, but edge is special.

2. Trooper

Trooper Registered Member

@Brummelchen So I checked my home machine tonight and it did not get auto updated. When I checked for updates it downloaded today's patch and restarted Firefox like normal. At work when I went to check for updates, it was already on 94.0.1 so clearly it did update itself in some way.

3. guest

guest Guest

4. Mrkvonic

Mrkvonic Linux Systems Expert

Firefox 91-94 & Additional visual and ergonomic tweaks

What separates a good UI design from a bad UI design? Apparently, about an hour of work and some 50 lines of CSS code. This is a follow-up tutorial showing how to tweak the Firefox Proton UI (versions 91 onwards) for improved aesthetic and functional experience using custom CSS rules, including better tab colors and separation, better address bar and search box contrast, better visual alignment, and more. Enjoy.

https://www.dedoimedo.com/computers/firefox-91-94-disable-proton-more.html

Cheers,
    Mrk

5. BoerenkoolMetWorst

BoerenkoolMetWorst Registered Member

Yeah probably, but still, if I want to use an autumn color in winter, spring or summer, why not let users choose between all of them?

6. xxJackxx

xxJackxx Registered Member

I guess it's still to be determined if they will take them away or if once you get them you keep them but new users don't get them. Or get updated ones for the next season.

7. NormanF

NormanF Registered Member

I'm still running the XP theme in Firefox ESR 91. No plans to revert to the default.

8. Trooper

XP Theme?

EDIT: Thanks @Mrkvonic for the write up. I am a bit confused as to what css code does what but I may mess around anyway. Cheers!

9. NormanF

Firefox Theme Extensions

10. Trooper

Oh I know. Is there a specific one that you use?

11. Krusty

Krusty Registered Member

I chose not to use them but checking in Themes there they are.

12. NormanF

XP Luna Blue.

13. wat0114

wat0114 Registered Member

Mrkvonic,

thank you for these tutorials :thumb:

14. Stupendous Man

Stupendous Man Registered Member

That detail was not in the release notes, at first. It was added later.
    See Firefox Support's and Chris Peterson's replies to GratisSoftware.nl, on Twitter, also quoted in the 'Update 4 november 2021' part of the Firefox site isolation article on the GratisSoftware.nl site (article mostly in Dutch, but Firefox' replies quoted in English).

15. JRViejo

JRViejo Super Moderator

FYI. Schedule Update.

16. jpcummins

jpcummins Registered Member

My primary browser is Firefox, version 94.0.1 (64-bit), my system is Windows 10 Home, and my Home Page is Yahoo. For whatever reason when I click on an article that has a video or picture they seem to load rather slow or in some cases not at all. Since this doesn't happen when I use Chrome, Opera, or Edge I assume it may be something I have incorrectly set in my settings. Have any other members experienced this? If so, were you able to correct it? I would appreciate all replies and would thank you in advance.

John

17. Brummelchen

firefox cant use gpu acceleration when format is AV1. not yet implemented.

18. FanJ

FanJ Updates Team

Hi,
    About fission - site isolation :
    I'm afraid that I don't understand what gfx.webrender.all has to do with fission (site isolation).
    Could you tell some more?

BTW here is an article at Bleeping Computer about fission - site isolation (May 18, 2021):
    https://www.bleepingcomputer.com/ne...g-out-site-isolation-to-all-firefox-channels/

19. Victek

Victek Registered Member

20. Stupendous Man

I don't know what the reason is, but this is what Firefox Support said:
    "we're doing a gradual rollout for this feature starting from Firefox 94." [1]
    And Chris Peterson (technical program manager on Mozilla's Firefox team) said:
    "Site Isolation is not shipping enabled by default yet and will roll out over the next few weeks." [2]
    And a Mozilla spokesperson replied per e-mail @ gratissoftware.nl:
    "Fission (Site Isolation) is not enabled by default yet. It will be rolled out to Firefox 94 users over the next few weeks and we will enable it for the remaining Firefox Nightly and Beta users in Firefox 96." [3]

21. imdb

imdb Registered Member

thanks for the info, stu. :thumb:

22. Brummelchen

simple as that - fission is not ready yet at all, it may cause issues and in such cases mozilla is able to reset the setting for only few people instead the majority of users. same for the new feature to update firefox when not running - few ill get it to see how it performs.

23. topo

topo Registered Member

yes, started with ff 93 pics/video never loads does this in win 10, win 7, and linux mint no clue to why i just use chrome to view yahoo now

24. Trooper

Anyone ever have Firefox upon opening up the browser, launch a page to get you to purchase their VPN? I just did, not cool.

25. Stupendous Man

Only once, in Firefox Private Browsing.
    Next, I blocked it in about:config, browser.privatebrowsing.vpnpromourl, clearing the value/ setting it to an empty string.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.