Mozilla Firefox Browser Stable Version Releases

Discussion in 'other software & services' started by JRViejo, Mar 18, 2014.

1. plat

plat Registered Member

OK, this is a little weird but I'm new to the new Firefox and everything. Anyway, I noticed this intriguing icon next to the padlock in the address bar and it turns out, it's a box that informs you about cross-site cookies. I have two of them and I swear, I have never "granted" permissions to either site. Didn't see anything posted specifically about this on here but admittedly didn't search too much.

Did notice that for Firefox privacy settings, I have the Standard setting, which should block cross-site cookies--right?, so why these were allowed, I don't know.

At least they're not Tik Tok or Facebook but still. :cautious: Anything to be worried about?

wilders cross site.png

2. SouthPark

SouthPark Registered Member

I didn't know what that icon was on FF until now, but it shows that I have "granted permission" for an enormous number of cross-site cookies, including for a few sites I've never heard of:

New0000.jpg

3. Stupendous Man

Stupendous Man Registered Member

Standard setting doesn't block all cross-site cookies, but only cross-site tracking cookies.
    To block all cross-site cookies, you need the 'Strict' setting, or the right custom settings.

4. plat

plat Registered Member

Whoa! That's quite a list @SouthPark , esp. if you haven't encouraged any permissions! Hello! :cautious:

Well, I'm trying the Strict setting and I've X'd out the two cross-site cookies. Let's hope that nips things in the bud but on occasion, this has interfered with some websites. Sigh, Firefox, you're getting a little high-maintenance about now....

Ah, just read your post, Stupendous Man, thanks for confirming. :)

5. Stupendous Man

I use Firefox custom settings with all third-party cookies blocked (and tracking content, cryptominers and fingerprinters).
    I recall only two instances in which I needed to temporarily disable blocking. One specific webshop checkout and one site that I forgot.

6. Trooper

Trooper Registered Member

Wow that is strange. I do not even have that icon in my Firefox. Only the shield on the left and the padlock for ssl. How are you guys seeing the green color in the address bar? I do not even see that.

7. Special

Special Registered Member

Not quite true, Mozilla uses a whitelist and so your still letting a tons of sites (Facebook, Google, Reddit) still "do their thing".

8. SouthPark

SouthPark Registered Member

Hi, all. I find that the "strict" privacy setting in FF breaks many websites that use charts and graphs, esp. etf.com, so I'll have to trust in uBO with its extra privacy filters to handle any cross-site tracking concerns.

I use a custom CSS to change the address bar color and round the tabs for better visibility: https://github.com/VernonStow/FirefoxCSS

9. Stupendous Man

Thanks very much, Special. I didn't know about that.
    Are you talking about cross-site cookies, or something else?
    Do you have a source for that information, a Mozilla support URL with that information, or another source?

10. deugniet

deugniet Registered Member

Cookies Firefox blocks and doesn’t block
    By default, Firefox blocks the cookies that track your browsing activity across multiple websites. This includes cross-site tracking cookies set by ad, social media, and analytics companies. Other cookies, such as those that remember your login credentials or items in your shopping cart, are still permitted by default.

Source: https://support.mozilla.org/en-US/kb/trackers-and-scripts-firefox-blocks-enhanced-track

11. Stupendous Man

Thanks, deugniet.
    And yes, of course. But do you think those are the cookies Special meant?

12. Special

I'm talking about cross-site cookies, aka "network.cookie.cookieBehavior 5" in about:config (all, not tracking cookies).

Source is Firefox itself, if you see something like this like on reddit for example, then cookies are not being fully blocked.

https://i.imgur.com/uQFZOn1.png

13. Stupendous Man

Thanks very much, Special.
    I've never seen anything like that on Reddit or any other site.
    Perhaps because I don't login at Reddit (let alone Google or Facebook)? (If that's not it, then perhaps because of other strict Firefox settings?)

14. imdb

imdb Registered Member

this is "not quite true", either.
    https://blog.mozilla.org/security/2021/02/23/total-cookie-protection/

@Stupendous Man

15. Stupendous Man

Thanks very much, imdb.

16. plat

plat Registered Member

Well, this is some excellent information--a little disconcerting because you don't expect this cookie behavior at all. Never mind the "permissions" you didn't know you granted....

Anyway, I also had to back off the Strict setting as shadow boxes of ads were now visible--on Yahoo specifically--and related to that, AdGuard Browser assistant was getting switched off.

17. imdb

imdb Registered Member

no problem, stu.

18. monkeylove

monkeylove Registered Member

What I did was install the multi-account containers addon and then put Facebook, each Google account, stores, etc., in separate containers. Then I installed CookieAutoDelete and set it to delete all cookies other than what's used for logins in each container.

19. Brummelchen

Brummelchen Registered Member

default is "4", i dont change it.

I guess that the shown cookies are a result of the amount of linked files in this forum, wilders only covers their own and has no relation chip to any other domain. Settings here that far for Security > Custom > Cookies > 1st entry chosen (blocked). And 2nd [x] for "all windows".

Have a look at CookieBro, is a bit more granular. But for IndexdDB and ServiceWorkers it only offers "at startup", but that is minor for me, because SW only concern when page is open, IndexedDB same.

20. Special

https://i.imgur.com/IzUfJyb.png

4 is "Cross-site tracking cookies", 5 is "Cross-site cookies" which is suppose to the most privacy/hardened option.

21. Stupendous Man

Bugzilla, Mozilla, Firefox 89:
    Maintain compact mode for current users and move to about:config preference

- Compact mode is behind a preference. Enabling the preference will make the "Compact mode" density option appear in the customize UI density picker.
    - The string in the picker is updated to "Compact mode (not supported)"
    - Current users of compact mode will get the preference automatically enabled

22. Daveski17

Daveski17 Registered Member

Is this a good thing or a bad thing? I'm not sure what Mozilla's actually saying here. It sounds something like: "We heard your user feedback and we are saying 'fork you' and 'fork' compact mode as we don't want to support it".

Or maybe I've misunderstood what Mozilla actually mean. o_O

23. Stupendous Man

I think it's a good thing Mozilla doesn't remove compact mode right away, but I think it's a bad thing they hide it from the UI for non current users. It makes it easier, later, to say hardly anyone is using the option and it will be removed altogether.

24. Daveski17

Daveski17 Registered Member

Yeah, I think that they don't want to keep compact mode and this is a way of surreptitiously disappearing it. Irrespective of user feedback.

25. Trooper

Trooper Registered Member

That is my thought as well.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.