Mozilla Firefox Browser Stable Version Releases

Discussion in 'other software & services' started by JRViejo, Mar 18, 2014.

1. JRViejo

JRViejo Super Moderator

FYI. Schedule Update.

2. JRViejo

JRViejo Super Moderator

3. imdb

imdb Registered Member

i do have it.

4. bellgamin

bellgamin Registered Member

Yes. Not a problem, right?

5. imdb

imdb Registered Member

darn it. not what i thought it was. recent bookmarks under bookmarks menu is still there. darn you mozilla.

6. Special

Special Registered Member

Problem? I don't know, yet... I don't know the purpose of that file, I use HIPS on my system so when I updated to 87.0 and ran Firefox I was alerted to this new file being created by Firefox and was asked If I wanted it to happen. I'm just wondering why this is now a thing.

7. bellgamin

bellgamin Registered Member

I uploaded the file to Virus Total. All clear! It is ZERO bytes in length, by the way. In all probability, the file's name is merely some sort of an identifier reflecting the status of whatever FireFox version you are running.

I am totally satisfied this file is no problem but, if you want a more official answer, I suggest you contact Mozilla. I have done so in the past & they have always responded with speedy, friendly answers. HERE is the place to get started.

8. imdb

imdb Registered Member

it's totally legit.

9. Special

Thanks for your concern, but my concern was never a security one, more of why and what this "new" file is doing and why.

That "name" or identify is IIRC your telemetry ID, you can check that number (I think) in the (also new) "installation_telemetry.json" file that's found in your Firefox install location.

I can't double check, because I deleted mine, lol.

10. Brummelchen

Brummelchen Registered Member

could be caused by a "policies.json" with disabled updates option.

11. Special

Hmm, I do have ("DisableAppUpdate": true) set in mine, but that is not new, does this "UpdateLock" file being created/destroyed not happen otherwise?

12. JRViejo

JRViejo Super Moderator

13. imdb

imdb Registered Member

yes, that's the case.

14. imdb

imdb Registered Member

i have updates disabled too.

15. Special

So are you saying that if you set "DisableAppUpdate" to false, or do not have/use a "policies.json" file this "UpdateLock" file does not happen?

What about the new policy that was added in 87.0 "ManualAppUpdateOnly"?

{
    "policies": {
    "AppAutoUpdate": true | false
    }

16. bo elam

bo elam Registered Member

@Special, others. I use the policy, and updated to Firefox 87 a few minutes ago. Regarding the UpdateLock file, this is what I am seeing in my W10: Regardless of whether the policy is On or Off, the file gets created and deleted when closing the browser.

FWIW, since this file is from Mozilla, there is no reason to worry about it.

Bo

Last edited: Mar 24, 2021
  17. Stupendous Man

Stupendous Man Registered Member

Removing an option like View Image Info seems one of those things for the sake of changing or removing perfectly good and useful options. I think of the search option that needs one more click, and the idea to remove compact mode in the Proton redesign. That last one is the most stupid and had got a lot of attention, lately (1) (2) (3). I can only hope Mozilla listens to its users on that one and doesn't go through with change for the sake of change.

Regarding the removed View Image Info option, there are two alternatives: 1, use View Page Info, go to the Media tab, and locate the info for the specific image, or 2, use View Image and next View Page Info, go to the Media tab, and find the info for the image. Option 2 is easier because finding the specific image info is easier, but it needs one extra click.
    So there are alternatives, but I don't think that legitimizes the removal of the View Image Info option. I think it's just stupid to remove a useful option.

18. Rasheed187

Rasheed187 Registered Member

19. deugniet

deugniet Registered Member

20. Daveski17

Daveski17 Registered Member

compact.jpg

I expect pointless GUI changes from Google, but Mozilla should know better. Losing the 'Compact' option will make a bit of a difference to me. Just when I was getting used to the weird highlighted runbar we might now lose the Compact option. It's almost like Mozilla are trying to ruin Firefox for users. o_O

normal.jpg

21. wat0114

wat0114 Registered Member

@Daveski17

Not sure if you know this already, if you right-click on the Toolbar->Customize, the Density button at the bottom gives you the options: Compact, Normal, Touch.

22. Daveski17

Yes, I knew that thanks. I thought Mozilla were going to discontinue the 'Compact' option. Not a good thing for me as I prefer it.

23. wat0114

wat0114 Registered Member

Oh okay, good. Hopefully they keep it, Compact my preference too.

24. Krusty

Krusty Registered Member

@Daveski17 ,

I can't see any difference in those screenshots. What should I look for? What is Compact option?

25. Daveski17

https://www.makeuseof.com/mozilla-firefox-removing-compact-density/

'The "Compact" density is a feature of the "Customize toolbar" view which is currently fairly hard to discover, and we assume gets low engagement. We want to make sure that we design defaults that suit most users and we'll be retiring the compact mode for this reason.' op cit

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.