New Features in True Image 11 Home

Discussion in 'Acronis True Image Product Line' started by mustang, Sep 18, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. mustang

mustang Developer

Here's a list of the new feature and options I found in True Image 11.0 Home. It may not be complete. If you see anything I missed, please post.

1. Try and Decide. You can try an app. and discard the changes if you don't like it. This feature needs a Secure Zone to keep track of the changes. You start Try and Decide mode before you install the new program. Upon first reboot you must decide to apply or discard the changes. Works well unless the program you are trying needs a reboot to install devices, start services and run executables. You won't be able to try the program without a reboot. When you reboot, you must decide to accept or discard the changes. If you discard the changes, the program is gone and you can't try it. If you accept the changes, how do you then discard them after you have tried the program and don't like it?

2. Acronis Drive Cleaner. Securely wipes an entire drive. Can be run from the Recovery CD.

3. File Shredder. Securely removes files.

4. System Clean-Up. Securely removes the following:
    Recycle Bin Contents
    Temp. Files
    Hard Disk Free Space
    Find Computer List
    Find Files List
    Recently Used Docs List
    Windows Run List
    Open/Saved Files History
    System Passwords
    Windows Prefetch List

5. Backup System State.

6. Backup and restore a full disk using the "sector by sector" method.

7. Exclude files from a full disk/partition backup.

8. Permanently add command line parameters to the bootable Recovery CD.

9. Error handling options on backup:
    Ignore bad sectors
    Do not show messages and dialogs (silent mode)

10. Files to preserve during restore:
    Hidden Files & Folders
    System Files
    Files & Folders matching a user set criteria

11. Filter Tasks option:
    Show only tasks created by the current user.

2. random110

random110 Registered Member

Does anyone know how 11 home does this?

3. seekforever

seekforever Registered Member

It analyzes the MFT and related info to find out which sectors are being used for the file to be excluded. It then clears the bits for these sectors from its "in-use" sector bitmap. The other part of this answer is that I don't know but this is how I would try to do it.

4. JHC

JHC Registered Member

Though not a "new" feature -- I notice that with TI 10, it took a full minute or more after I chose to edit a scheduled task before TI would show me the dialog that would let me configure what files to backup etc. Creating a new task was always quick but editing an existing one was painful.

In TI 11, editing an existing task is almost instantaneous.

Jonathan

5. wenglish98027

wenglish98027 Registered Member

Let's hope that's not because it's throwing away all your edits:D

Mike

6. wenglish98027

Just got my upgrade offer in the email.

Does anyone know if it now supports dynamic disks?

Thanks ... Mike

7. mustang

mustang Developer

The manual doesn't mention anything about dynamic disk support. I would especially expect it to be mentioned in the what's new in TI11 section if it did. I wonder what would happen if you used the new "sector by sector" option to backup a dynamic disk. I don't think I want to experiment with this. I'll leave that up to you.

8. Peter2150

Peter2150 Global Moderator

I thought 11 was supposed to be a more leaner imaging program. Sounds like the've added everything but the kitchen sink.

9. shieber

shieber Registered Member

It appears that if one upgrades from an earlier version and one installs over the prior version, then one doesn't have to enter both the new serial number and plus the prior version serial number. Folks complained about having to enter two serial numbers and it seems Acronis listened. If you do a clean install, then you need to enter both the ATI 11 and prior version serial numbers. Well, that's at least a partial step forward.

Last edited: Sep 20, 2007
  10. wenglish98027

Me neither :)

Mike

11. John2222

John2222 Registered Member

I agree. I just want good certified verified image backups and a good Boot CD that always works. Adding all those other features just ads more dumbed-down capabilities for the masses. I guess I'm not the mass.

12. shieber

A system cleanup routine, sort of like Windows Disk Cleanup or CCLeaner is included. Interestingly, it includes among its options, clearing the win prefetch directory. Win itself purges old files form this directory lest they become obsolete. Clearing the prefetch isn't going to speed up performance; it's more likely to slow things down. I think this option is giving in to a popular myth that the prefetch direct lists programs that are all loaded into memory and so slows down your PC. It's commonly in cleanup prgrams so not odd that it's here but they really could have left it out.

13. bodgy

bodgy Registered Member

The Linux kernel now has more updated drivers for the wireless mouse problem that occurred for some people.

14. shieber

Not sure drivers are updated. They might have just changed some of the linux startup parameters, no?

Anyway, the drivers don't help with logitech usb wireless mice. So maybe they added some drivers for some mice.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.