new feature in v10 - protect application settings

Discussion in 'Acronis True Image Product Line' started by gertrud, Nov 11, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. gertrud

gertrud Registered Member

During a new search for my latest problem I found a thread about the new features in v10.

I was rather surprised to read, that protection of application setting is available only since v10 !

When I bought my TI v8 after getting a recommendation of a IT consultant I thought that securing a certain state of the systems naturally means and includes protection of application settings !?

Individuall application setting are such a important part of software installation that it is difficult to understand why it isn't included right from the start !

2. Ralphie

Ralphie Registered Member

When you backup your hard drive everything is preserved as in the original, meaning when you restore that backup all of your settings will be restored. So, yes, the feature has always been there.
    Why it is specified in Ver 10 and exactly what it means I don't know - could be just marketing mumbo jumbo.

3. TheWeaz

TheWeaz Registered Member

I believe what TI has done is to examine a number of popular application (like Internet Explorer) and determine where the settings for these apps are stored in a normal installation. Selecting IE, for example, will backup these locations without you needing to know where to locate them on your own.
    Of course, I could be blowing smoke out of my a##.

4. lodore

lodore Registered Member

i think it means you can just restore application settings on there own from an image instead of the whole image or create a backup of just the application settings of thats how i read it as.
    lodore

5. bulldog356

bulldog356 Registered Member

That's the way I understand it, as well.

What I don't understand is why this is touted as a feature.

If you're imaging your system partition, that includes your program configuration files. What is the point of doing a separate image of just configuration files? Particularly when it doesn't take that much brainpower to back these up on your own in their native file format.

6. TheWeaz

I think the benefit is for those users who may want to backup, let’s say, their Outlook Express settings and do not know to include “C:\Documents and Settings\username\Local Settings\Application Data\Identities\{yadayadayada}\Microsoft\Outlook Express”.
    Just an example. :D

In theory, selecting the application from TI would automatically include all the folders and files necessary.

7. bulldog356

No disrespect to you, Weaz. Who would spend $50 to backup their Outlook/Express settings, or their Office settings? Particularly when a web search provides the information and even the software for free.

This is just another feeble excuse - in my opinion - for an upgrade.

OK, I think people are done with my moaning and complaining so I'll stifle myself now. :ninja:

8. John Farrar

John Farrar Registered Member

IMHO Very few people, relative to the vast number that use their PC, would know how to find free software to backup their emails etc. Therefore, TI10 is providing an all in one solution to help newbies/novices etc. plus more experienced users, manage their PC with just one application. With the wizard system walking you through the processes of backing up drives and files it is about as easy as it can get.
    My thoughts.
    John

9. TheWeaz

Bulldog356,

My post was just an explanation and an answer to “why this is touted as a feature”.

“What is the point of doing a separate image of just configuration files?”

Given a choice, if I screwed up my Outlook files/settings, I’d rather be able to just restore them rather than restoring my entire system from a full image and writing over a ton of stuff I want left alone. Plus, I would not need to know where all the settings were stored.

I agree with the “feeble excuse” opinion. Acronis just keeps adding features (some of which, like the Outlook backup, do not work) instead of focusing on what TI was meant to do; disk imaging. Their stand seems to be “Sure, that basic feature still doesn’t work, but look at this – Outlook backup!”

10. mark7

mark7 Registered Member

This is how the TI10 User Guide explains it (don't ask me what it means - I have not tried it ;). I particularly am amused by the phrase.. "You can select a random set of categories and applications" - yeah, I always select what to back up randomly, preferable using Monte-Carlo simulation methods :D )

"5.2.3 My Application Settings backup

Back up custom settings of Windows applications. This is a subset of file-level backup that backs up predefined folders and requires minimum user selections. The program displays a list of supported applications that has been found on the computer, sorted by categories.

You can select a random set of categories and applications.

It is important to note, that the program backs up only your settings, but not the application executable files. If an application seems to malfunction or ceases to run you are supposed to reinstall it using the last updates and then recover your settings from the backup.

The list of supported applications will be gradually built up. Updates will be available with new program builds or via the Internet.

For instant messengers, the program will back up both settings and history."

Here is a screen shot of the current applications - feel free to verify that each of these works properly :eek:

Attached Files:

Last edited: Nov 14, 2006
  11. Ralphie

Ralphie Registered Member

Mark7 said, "This is how the TI10 User Guide explains it (don't ask me what it means - I have not tried it . I particularly am amused by the phrase.. "You can select a random set of categories and applications" - yeah, I always select what to back up randomly, preferable using Monte-Carlo simulation methods )

Here again it is the translation to English that is lacking in the proper use of english words - I'm not saying that it is easy, by any means.

12. _Kento_

_Kento_ Registered Member

Hello bulldog356

Yes, the partition image made with ANY previous version of ATI includes everything BUT as TheWeaz said not all users know what to backup and more important what to restore from the whole image. With ATIH10.0 you can back up the application settings and if for some reasons it crashes all you need is reinstall and restore the settings. I think this is much easy that restore the whole system to fix only one application.

I have a digital camera so I want a cell phone without digital camera but it is so hard to find a good one without it these days. It doesn't take that much brainpower to use the regular digital camera, but since I can have two in one, why not. It just simpler this way.

May be not a good example but still ;-)

_Kento_

13. bulldog356

Well, I said I would stifle myself, but I really need to say thanks to all of you who pointed out the value of this feature which I did not previously see.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.