New evidence of old karma cookie system?!

Discussion in 'ten-forward' started by jayzzz, May 22, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. jayzzz

jayzzz Registered Member

Look at the post I've taken a partial screen snapshot of in Pieter's Happy Birthday thread! It appears that for this one member, Karma cookies are trying to make a return, though I couldn't click on the words as before to give a cookie. Nobody else has it by their name that I could find. What's up with that?! I thought Paul said it wasn't possible with this new software.

I noticed that the moving and glowing text options that weren't here before are back, too. Has there been an additional change in the board's software or am I losing it?

Attached Files:

2. dog

dog Guest

He He He LOL ... shhhhhhh Secret!!! :eek: ;)

No your not losing it! :D Slammer's a very Special Member ... with GREAT Karma! A well earned reward! ;)

dog - *puppy*

3. jayzzz

jayzzz Registered Member

Since it's a secret, I've asked you a question by PM... :ninja:

4. slammer_JvA

slammer_JvA Registered Member

Below sea-level. Safe and sound behind our dikes:
    Is that dog (very) talking around my back again...? ? ? o_O:doubt:

hahaha :D

grtz,
    slammer

P.S. you're making me shy,:oops: guys...:cool:

Attached Files:

• dog.gif
      dog.gif
      File size:
      1.6 KB
      Views:
  5. jayzzz

jayzzz Registered Member

Dog explained to me that the "karma +4" and the word, "applause," were put where I have "Member" under my name. I thought I was having some kind of flashback! Was hoping somehow I'd be able to give the cookies again when I saw that under your name, but knew Paul said the software wouldn't allow it. That's the reason I asked the question. I never intended to pry. Dog didn't tell me what you did that got you that honour, but it must've been really cool! :D

Hmmm. The quote from my post was altered by somebody, because I didn't put the word, "special" in bold, blue text when I typed it. Maybe you'll PM me and tell me what you did, if it's not posted somewhere visible and you're feeling shy about mentioning it publicly, yourself? When someone writes that something is secret, and types "he, he," for laughing, it's hard not to take the bait and ask what it is, especially when it can't be a bad thing. ;) I don't want to make you uncomfortable, so whether you answer or not, I won't ask more about it.

What's happening with the board? I'm going to see if I can find it mentioned someplace. The moving words and green 'glowing' control came back without the old software? I KNOW yesterday the smilies were on the right. Now they're up above. When I used the colour, blue, for the word up above, I noticed that either the place to choose the colours has moved & the choice of colours has changed, or I'm getting this board confused with another one. It's also gone back to being less easy for me to tell the difference between the composing window and the preview area, so the board HAS changed! I haven't posted in another forum that deals with computer issues within the last week, so getting forums crossed seems unlikely. :doubt:

Anyhow, it's nice to "meet" you, slammer, and dog, too. I don't think I mentioned that last night...:cool:

6. LowWaterMark

LowWaterMark Administrator

When in doubt, I usually blame Detox! :ninja:

:D

No, actually I've been tweaking things here ever since we converted from YaBB SE, just to make things feel a little more like home. There's been many small changes - links added, buttons changed, the glowing and moving text, avatar library, IM notification emails now contain a copy of the IMs again, and so on.

However, some things haven't changed. There has always been two post editors here, and each with a couple mode related options. These editors display the Smileys and other controls differently. (You can select these different features in the User CP > Edit Options.)

As for your first post above, it was never changed, but it does look like dog was slightly less than accurate when he quoted you. :blink: :D

As for Karma, that feature in YaBB SE was actually an entire subsystem which included several code modules and database tables. If I were going to add something of that complexity to this board, I'd rather put the effort into making a better "new versus read posts" tracking system - it'd be the same complexity in terms of coding and would be a very great improvement. But, I'm afraid neither is likely to be done given the difficulty.

7. dog

dog Guest

{editted quote} LOL :D :cool: Sorry ... LWM! ;) :D :cool: Hmmm ... Forum Prankster, Maybe?

:D or ... a little creative ... eh, LWM? ;) :D (Poor Detox takes all the abuse :ninja: ) ... Sorry to cause any confusion Jayzzz :D

@Slammer ... I only speak of Good things ... all compliments! for sure! "special" was added in the warmest regards;) :)

dog - *puppy*

Last edited by a moderator: May 22, 2004
  8. jayzzz

jayzzz Registered Member

It's a big relief to know you're the reason for some of the changes I saw, LowWaterMark. Last time I posted, I was worried that I had killed off more brain cells than I could spare and still function effectively. I found that control. My view also changed because last night I opted to use WYSIWYG...without considering that what [I'd] see would be altered by it. :oops: A few more cells wouldn't do me any harm.

It will be good to see the results of your efforts & know the board is in a state of controlled metamorphosis rather than suspecting I've lost touch with reality. What you say about the karma cookies is logical, and I'm fine with it (as if that matters!); still, seeing those indicators of the old ways was a bit of a tease. :)

Dog's addition of the word, special, was so blatant and positive, it was not objectionable tampering. Man, I feel SO MUCH better now that I'm not staring senility in the face!:D

Last edited: May 23, 2004
  9. jayzzz

jayzzz Registered Member

Dog, your creativity was not the cause of my confusion...it was the only thing I was certain of a little earlier! No apology is needed. :p

10. FanJ

FanJ Guest

:D
    Hey Jayzzz :)

LOL it was a little joke when LWM added that "karma" :D

Yep, I too am certainly missing the karma-cookie-applaud-feature of the old board, but indeed we have to get used to the new board-software ;)

Warm regards, Jan.

11. jayzzz

jayzzz Registered Member

Thanks, Jan. I had stopped thinking about giving cookies until I saw that little joke, and I'll stop thinking about giving them, again. Last night, though, I was understandably puzzled; I read Paul's post earlier this month, agreeing with my comment that a petition (another member's little joke) couldn't expand the capabilities of the site's new software far enough to reinstate cookie-giving. :) Joyce

12. beetlejuice

beetlejuice Registered Member

OK guys. There's no need to whine about not having "cookies" anymore. They're gone. :'( I miss them too along with the pretty yellow smileys we used to have, instead of these "sick on the brink of death" looking blue ones. This is the "bigger and better" o_O Wilders board. And since it is "bigger and better", I think instead of cookies, we should have something "bigger and better" to match the biggerness and betterness of the new software. Let's say-ohh-umm-well something like cupcakes. All in favor say "I".
    I-I-I-I.

Attached Files:

13. jayzzz

jayzzz Registered Member

Great idea! Why didn't I think of that? Now all one of us needs to do is present Wilders with the necessary software to give cupcakes, and it'll be a done deal! ;)

P.S. I don't whine...I SAW what appeared to be evidence of karma cookies...

14. Peaches4U

Peaches4U Registered Member

15. jayzzz

jayzzz Registered Member

What a nice thing to do! Thank you...they look delicious.
    "The necessary software to give cupcakes" and a picture of cupcakes are almost identical things.;);):D:D

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.