New Engines vs Old Engines

Discussion in 'NOD32 version 2 Forum' started by keph, Nov 2, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. keph

keph Registered Member

I recently inherited the duties of IT management for my small office (about 10 computers) and I would like to get rid of the ancient (year 2000!) antivirus software we have. I'm not sure if this is the correct forum for this, but since it's NOD32 that I would like to use, I thought I would ask it here. I need to convince the higher-ups that we need new antivirus software, but they are not technical people and use arguments like "we already have antivirus software, why would we need to buy more?". From their point of view that is a good argument, and to be honest I'm not well versed enough in antivirus software to be able to give them a good answer. Our existing software even still receives virus definition updates via the company (Symantec). I understand that newer antivirus engines are simply able to detect more viruses, and more types of viruses, but that itsn't very quantitative (they want numbers!). I've googled a bit for antivirus engines, but only ever found either extremely technical or extremely biased results. Does anyone out there know of any resources that give a good explanation of the consequences of using an out of date anti-virus engine? NOD32 runs on my system at home, so I don't need any justification personally, but I need some 3rd party documentation to help convince my higher-ups that it's worth spending money on when we "already have antivirus software".

Thanks for any insight you guys might provide!

2. IBK

IBK AV Expert

the new versions of Symantec av products include e.g. spyware detection and better detection/handling/etc. of other threats. Even if you get the signatures/updates, the old programs are not able to use the full signatures/updates and will give you only partial security. (if this was the question).
    if the question was about which product detects more or how well with not up-to-date updates, you can look on av-comparatives.org

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.