New Drive Added

Discussion in 'backup, imaging & disk mgmt' started by egresor, Nov 22, 2018.

1. egresor

egresor Registered Member

Hi folks,

I just noticed that my Win7 Home Premium has recently added a new drive letter and was concerned about it. I didn't do it myself and was wondering why/how it might have happened. I added an external drive several weeks ago, but that isn't it, that drive was already listed.

When I right click properties, it lists the CD drive properties info and clicking asks for a disk. Selecting eject disk does nothing for it, but it does for my external burner drive.

Anyone have an idea why it would happen and if I should have security concerns about it? Should I remove it and how is that done. I'm a long time computer user, but not that technical.

Thanks

2. egresor

Update on that. Not sure if related, but I always have task manager open and recently a program refused to close. Tried using task manager to end processes and tree, but nothing would close it. So I tried a restart computer thru start button. A couple of prompts to force closing things, but when it has windows shutting down displayed, it was hanging. In desperation I turned off power...waited and restarted. My computer seems ok, but thought maybe somehow Win7 made a new drive letter for some reason. Other than that I have no idea.
    Thanks

3. stapp

stapp Global Moderator

What was the program that refused to close?

What is the size of the new drive?

Are you able to take a screenshot of Disk Management and unload it as an attachment in a post?

4. egresor

Here are some snaps showing management. I see an un-allocated space of 128mb has been added in management. Sharing is still turned off on my computer..

This has happened before, but very rarely and usually task manager will close the hung-up program. Sometimes stubbornly, but it eventually closes. This is the first time I pulled the power to close the computer since last reinstall of Windows. I probably should have been more patient with the shut down process it was going through, but it was taking a long time and I pulled the power.

I thought things were as usual and did not notice right away that a new drive letter was added. Since finding it out, I've searched why it made a new drive letter so much I forget what the program actually was, but I do recall it was a program I use frequently and that there were 2 listing of it in task manager, instead of one I try to not retain the more unimportant (relatively) things.

Hope that doesn't make things difficult. I thought of using Paragon to merge the un-allocated space, but was hesitant to find out why it might have happened.

Thanks for any helps you can provide. It doesn't seem to be security related, but I'm not the person to know that.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Nov 22, 2018
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.