New Disk Size Not Recognised

Discussion in 'Acronis True Image Product Line' started by bf1, Jan 25, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. bf1

bf1 Registered Member

I used Acronis True Image to Clone a new hard disk I installed. The whole transfer went without a hitch but when I check the properties of my new disk it indicates it is a 180gb HD (which was my old HD size) and not 320gb which is the new HD.

I have disconnected the old disk as per instructions and connected the new HD in the space that the original occupied.

Any ideas as to why my new HD size is not being shown?

Thanks

2. MTX

MTX Registered Member

3. Ralphie

Ralphie Registered Member

Here's a way to get back the missing space:
    1. Make the bootable Rescue cd and boot with it.
    2. Choose the feature to create a Secure Zone - I don't remember the exact menu item - you can make the size any amount less than the free space available.
    3. After you create the SZ, next choose the "manage the Secure Zone" feature - again the exact words I don't remember.
    4. Next choose to delete the SZ. After it is deleted, all the missing space should re-appear.

4. bf1

bf1 Registered Member

Thanks for your replies.

I followed the instructions to create and delete a secure zone but my computer is still seeing the size of my old hard drive and not the new one.

Acronis can see that I have a larger drive but when I go to My Computer and select Properties for my new HD it is that which is showing the size of my old HD.

Any suggestions please?

5. dld

dld Registered Member

Right-click on My Computer. Click on Manage\Disk Management. You will see there the layout of your cloned drive. Do you see any unallocated space in that layout?

6. bf1

bf1 Registered Member

Yes, there is nearly 112GB.

7. bf1

bf1 Registered Member

How do I get the 112GB onto my exisiting partition? Looks as though you have found the answer to my `missing` HD space - thanks.

On the unallocated space, if I right click there is the option to create a new partition. The options are to create a Primary Partition or Extended Partition. If I choose Extended will this give me the full capacity of the HD?

Thanks for your help

Last edited: Jan 26, 2007
  8. dld

dld Registered Member

Do you want to create a partition using that unallocated space or to you want expand your existing partition to fill this unallocated space? If the latter, then do the following:

- Use the Manage Acronis Secure Zone Wizard to create a small temporary Secure Zone (SZ) in the unallocated space on your drive.
    - Once the SZ has been created, use the Manage Acronis Secure Zone Wizard once more to remove the SZ and opt to assign the space it used to the main partition.
    - Reboot your system and you should now find you have eliminated the unallocated space.

9. bf1

bf1 Registered Member

Yes, Im trying to expand my exisiting partition so that I have one partition for the whole drive.

Ive just tried allocating a SZ on the unallocated part of the drive but Acronis is seeing my HD in its entirety and is not giving me the option to create the SZ in the unallocated section.

However, when I checked Disk Management after creating the SZ it looks like this:

Local Disk F: 186GB - 111.35GB Unallocated - Acronis SZ

When I deleted the SZ, Disk Management showed:

Local Disk F: 186GB - 111.79GB Unallocated

How about using the Extended Partition option, will this achieve full capacity of the HD?

10. dld

dld Registered Member

OK, I think we're almost there. You say:

Local Disk F: 186GB - 111.35GB Unallocated - Acronis SZ

You can't use Windows Disk Management to delete the SZ. You have to use the Manage Acronis Secure Zone Wizard to remove the SZ. You can tell the SZ was created in the unallocated space because if you delete the SZ your unallocated space jumps from 111.35GB to 111.79GB, showing that the SZ occupied 440MB.

11. GianniC

GianniC Registered Member

If you create an Extended Partition, you just create a new partition.
    It the trick with Acronis Secure Zone does not work for you, you can use the Microsoft command line tool DISKPART to extend your partition, but it is a last resort.
    Try to follow dld.

12. bf1

bf1 Registered Member

I used the Acronis Wizard to remove the SZ. The wizard asked which partitions I want to give the space allocated by the Acronis SZ. There is only one option I could choose which is my Local Disk F: drive. I therefore chose this and concluded the process. However, when I open disk management the SZ is still there.

I went through the process again only this time I didn`t select my Local Disk Drive F: I just left the box unticked. After concluding the process I checked Disk Management and can see that the SZ has gone but the space has gone into the unallocated area!

Ive looked around and wondered whether a program such as Acronis Disk Director would enable me to release the unallocated space into my exisiting partition?

13. dld

dld Registered Member

Very strange. It would seem Acronis cannot move that partition to occupy the unallocated space.

Certainly Acronis Disk Director Suite will do it for you. This is what I see looking at my drives when my C: drive is highlighted:

http://img408.imageshack.us/img408/7277/screenshot077oc2.jpg

You can see I have the options to move, resize and merge.

14. bf1

bf1 Registered Member

I will get Acronis Disk Director.

Thanks for all your help and the time you have spent replying.

Best Wishes for 2007

15. dld

dld Registered Member

I think it's well worth the investment. There are lots of additional goodies.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.