New Computer

Discussion in 'Acronis True Image Product Line' started by motiger, Mar 31, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. motiger

motiger Registered Member

I just bought a new computer which is winxp pro. My current computer is set up just the way I like it so my question is: Can I use the clone function to set up the new one? or Is there a better way to do this? Finally, what must I do to be jake with Redmond. I know they are really fussy about these things....I trust this is ok to do with themo_O Your thought would be great to know. -Motiger

2. motiger

motiger Registered Member

Oops, forgot to mention my current computer is winxp Home.

3. uptone

uptone Registered Member

If the new computer is not exactly the same, cloning your system disk and sticking it into your new computer will probably not work. I assume your new computer is not the same. You probably bought a better computer.
    You see, Microsoft in their infinite wisdom has things in their system to prevent you from doing just what you want to do. The old drivers that will be cloned with everything else will probably cause your system to crash or at least cause the system to look for new drivers. If everything does go well and your system adapts to the new computer, MS will want you to activate the system. If you didn't buy a new system with your new computer, MS will say sorry, the key you are trying to activate belongs to another (your old) computer. You must buy a new system.
    One licence, one computer is the way it works. If you did buy a new system with your new computer, make sure you activate with the new key.
    The best way for you to get what you want is to install the new system and then transfer your files and folders using MS files and transfer wizard and a cable between the two computers.
    Oh, I'm always hearing that "I can outsmart MS". Well, maybe you can but you won't for long. They will stop you right when you least expect it. You may be doing something critical on your computer and the computer will say sorry you need to activate.

4. DonDodge

DonDodge Registered Member

It's no problem reactivating XP on a new computer even if the computers are vastly different. Reinstall with the cd key and activate over the internet, Nothing to it. The key you bought belongs to you. Not your old computer.

The problem would be cloning the OS from an old computer to a new computer. That don't always work out so good.

5. Xpilot

Xpilot Registered Member

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.