New computer

Discussion in 'Acronis True Image Product Line' started by DMD31842, Nov 7, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. DMD31842

DMD31842 Registered Member

I have Acronis Version 10 and have backed up my complete hard drive. Now I am getting a new computer - Is it possible just to do a system restore to put all my programs, etc. on the new computer? Thanks

2. foghorne

foghorne Registered Member

This depends on how much difference exists between the hardware/drivers on the two machines. The biggest obstacle you may have is if the restored OS fails to boot on the new hardware - although you may be able to boot from the OS disk and do a 'Repair' on it which might get you there.

Having said that, I have done this numerous times, even between PCs and Laptops and never had a problem. The point being that once you boot up Windows will usually autodetect changed hardware and install drivers.

One final point. If you are using XP I would expect that your windows activation will trip up if the hardware differs too much (the MAC address alone has a large weighting). In this case it might mean a phonecall to Microsoft to reactivate.

F.

3. DMD31842

DMD31842 Registered Member

Thanks - Not sure If I will try it but...

4. foghorne

What have you got to lose. If your new machine is preinstalled, make a backup of the drive first.

F.

5. starsfan09

starsfan09 Registered Member

The whole concept of Acronis Home Edition is to "Clone" your current HD & Settings to a baremetal HD,... or create an "Image" of your current HD & Settings to use in case disaster strikes. When it does, you can use the "Image" to Restore your computer.

What you're wanting to do is... create an "Image" of the HD in your existing computer....and then apply that Image to the HD of a New--completely different computer.

I personally would NOT do this because the MOBO, Hardware, Drivers, and Software on the Old computer... are completely different than the New computer.
    You're better of doing a fresh install of programs you want on the New computer. Afterwords, create an Image of that particular HD.

6. foghorne

Hi starsfan09

You are right in what you say. However I think the real answer is in deciding which is the shortest, easiest route to recreating the old PC's environment on the new PC. Assuming the new PC boots into Windows with the old's image I suggest that this is the best option. If it doesn't then this can still be worked around using the Repair facility on the OS CD.

Assuming all data is safely backed up no harm is going to come to anything by having incorrect drivers configured at the outset. On the flip side this situation is usually a good excuse to organise a nice clean install and make an image of it. Also I would be a little concerned about Windows Activation/Genuine Advantage implications.

Having the wrong drivers would not unduly concern me.

F.

7. starsfan09

What this user is asking... is basically like me taking an Image of your computer, and putting it on mine. Would it be a good idea? Would an Image of my computer work on your computer correctly?

I wouldn't even consider doing such thing. But hey,..."different strokes for different folks". We always have room for problems here. :D

8. foghorne

What harm can it do? It could save a day of installing software. I wouldn't mention it if I hadn't had a lot of success doing it myself.

F.

9. starsfan09

Different : Mobo's, BIOS, Chipset, Video cards, Sound cards, Ethernet cards, Modem, Windows assigned USB ports, and etc.
    You'd have to spend a day anyway Removing wrong drivers, and software...and then installing the correct drivers & software.
    IMO...this sounds like problems waiting to happen.

Sometimes, the easiest way out...isn't always the best route to take. ;)

Last edited: Nov 7, 2006
  10. foghorne

Absolutely. I think it is a matter of judgement and experience ;)

F.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.