New computer specs

Discussion in 'other software & services' started by hollywoodpc, Feb 20, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. hollywoodpc

hollywoodpc Registered Member

Not sure where to post and my apologies .
    I have always used P4 for myself . I am now looking into a NON gaming machine . Just a toy .
    AMD Athlon 64 2.0 3,800
    Asus A8N-SLI-Deluxe
    Nvidia 6600LE
    2 GB pc3200 DDR
    I know many use AMD and I am curious just how reliable they are from actual users . Not a war between Intel and AMD . Just curiosity . The above will be MORE than enough for this machine but , curious as to what users think of the specs and how AMD , in general , compares to Intel .
    My current machine has a Pentium D 820 3.0 . 1 GB DDR2 .
    Also . Only Intel uses DDR2 technology . So , I am stuck with DDR on AMD . This is why I am going with 2 gigs of ram . Any thoughts on that as well .? Many thanks in advance . I especially want to hear from YOU WFSuser !
    All comments welcome AND appreciated

2. Slovak

Slovak Registered Member

Sounds real nice to me, wish I had either one. I'm still running a 1.4Ghz Tualatin core on an Asus TUSL2-C mobo with its max ram of 512Mb and my faithful old Radeon 9800XT and Audigy 2ZS. :'(

3. Detox

Detox Retired Moderator

Hm well I am an AMD kinda guy overall. Honestly, I never had a Pentium or Celeron go out on me before I switched, but the price/performance turned me to AMD and I stuck with it ever since. Then again I suppose I better admit my wife and daughter both have Celeron 2400's in their IBM's.

Anyway... reliability issues; I can only (honestly) tell you my experience... I bought an AMD 2000+ when I first had this machine built and I used it for 3-4 years or so before I upgraded to a 3200+. After a while of sitting in a box I sent the 2000+ overseas to the Nederlands where a friend of mine put it into a machine for his mother where it is still cycling away while my 3200+ ha sbeen keeping me rather happy :cool:

4. ronjor

ronjor Global Moderator

My AMD 2000+ is doing just fine here after four years of intensive use. :cool:

5. WSFuser

WSFuser Registered Member

sounds like a decent machine tho the 2 gigs is a bit much for a non-gaming machine. do u do work with large graphics or video? neways i have the Asus A8N-SLI-Deluxe myself and between the athlon 64 3200 and corsair value memory it overclocks well. i also have a older athlon xp 2000 machine thats doing well. ive never known one processor to be more stable than the other but i do know my athlon 64 runs quite cool.

6. <DreamCatcher>

<DreamCatcher> Registered Member

7. hollywoodpc

I know I said thanks in advance but , wanted to say thank you again . You guys are really great ! And detox ! Wow . A processor used for 3-4 years , survived a trip overseas , and still kicking . Hmmm . Can I just have the one you have now when you get done ?:D

<DreamCatcher> : Nice read my friend .
    WFS guy . 2 gigs is alot , however ; I am used to running 1 gig anyway . Nice to have with alot of programs running in the background . I just thought 2 gigs might be nice just in case . In case of what ? I do not know . Lol . I wish I could use the DDR2 but , not possible at this point . Do not know there is that much difference between the two anyway .
    Ronjor . Sounds like your kicks but too !! Considering you make about 2000 posts a day in here . And having to carefully calm things down as well . Sounds like the AMD is as good as the publicity claims . Thank you again . VERY much .

Last edited: Feb 22, 2006
  8. divedog

divedog Registered Member

I just recently made the switch AMD 4400 X2, A8N-SLI premium, 7800gt, raptor hard drive. All I can say is wow. it loaded windows in 10 minuets. I am glad I made the switch.

9. hollywoodpc

WOW !!! A WHOLE bunch more than I need , OR want . And , I think you mean 10 SECONDS right ? If so , WOW !!!!

10. hollywoodpc

If it works , that is all that matters . Sounds like a decent system to me . Old , yes . So what . I still have a 1.3 P4 that I use in another room . Runs beautifully . Integrated graphics and sound . I kept it clean and it runs like a top !

11. divedog

You asked. And yes it loads windows in 10 minuets.

12. divedog

13. hollywoodpc

Yes . And thank you . Sounds sweeeeet ! But , if it takes 10 minutes to load windows , there must be a problem . With all that speed and power , 10 minutes is a lifetime . 10 minutes is a lifetime with an old system . On my P4 2.4 , windows loads in less than a minute . That is with all realtime security up and running . Might wanna check that .o_O
    Again . Thank you . I am interested in what people do use and how it works for them . Nice system indeed !:thumb: :thumb:

14. divedog

I don't mean boot windows, I mean load the operating system.

15. hollywoodpc

Oh . As in format ? WHOOSH !!!! That sounds about right . Very nice !! That would make reformatting a breeze

16. divedog

AMD is a top notch chip these days.

17. hollywoodpc

Thanks divedog . That seems to be the theme . I am sure I will do the AMD .

18. Mrkvonic

Mrkvonic Linux Systems Expert

Hello,
    I use several AMDs - although they are primarily gaming toys for me!
    Still, the 64x version boots suse 64 like a sweet cake!
    And it takes only 15 sec to boot into windows with the strongest one - similar to your machine, 2gb ram, san diesgo 3700 blah blah. BTW, the specs you gave are solid EVEN for a gaming machine. Very solid! Not just a toy - a power toy!
    Mrk

19. Slovak

Slovak Registered Member

And just when I thought I was the only one still computing with ancient technology ;) I don't have any problems moving into something new, but too expensive for me and all I really need is the mobo, processor and ram. Everything else in this computer can transfer over, including my Lian-Li aluminum case.

20. hollywoodpc

Thanks MrK . Good to know
    @Slovak . Yep . I like my 2.4 . And , depending on what you use it for , it is as good as anything else . ;)

21. zapjb

zapjb Registered Member

I've had my AMD Barton Ahtlon XP 2500+ retail for over 2yrs. Stock hsf is excellent. I built the system out of rock solid components. Very sweet. Besides the value/performance win for AMD. In days of yore Intel ran cooler than AMD. No more. In every category AMD wins!:D

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.