New computer specs

Discussion in 'other software & services' started by hollywoodpc, Feb 20, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. hollywoodpc

hollywoodpc Registered Member

Not sure where to post and my apologies .
    I have always used P4 for myself . I am now looking into a NON gaming machine . Just a toy .
    AMD Athlon 64 2.0 3,800
    Asus A8N-SLI-Deluxe
    Nvidia 6600LE
    2 GB pc3200 DDR
    I know many use AMD and I am curious just how reliable they are from actual users . Not a war between Intel and AMD . Just curiosity . The above will be MORE than enough for this machine but , curious as to what users think of the specs and how AMD , in general , compares to Intel .
    My current machine has a Pentium D 820 3.0 . 1 GB DDR2 .
    Also . Only Intel uses DDR2 technology . So , I am stuck with DDR on AMD . This is why I am going with 2 gigs of ram . Any thoughts on that as well .? Many thanks in advance . I especially want to hear from YOU WFSuser !
    All comments welcome AND appreciated

2. Slovak

Slovak Registered Member

Sounds real nice to me, wish I had either one. I'm still running a 1.4Ghz Tualatin core on an Asus TUSL2-C mobo with its max ram of 512Mb and my faithful old Radeon 9800XT and Audigy 2ZS. :'(

3. Detox

Detox Retired Moderator

Hm well I am an AMD kinda guy overall. Honestly, I never had a Pentium or Celeron go out on me before I switched, but the price/performance turned me to AMD and I stuck with it ever since. Then again I suppose I better admit my wife and daughter both have Celeron 2400's in their IBM's.

Anyway... reliability issues; I can only (honestly) tell you my experience... I bought an AMD 2000+ when I first had this machine built and I used it for 3-4 years or so before I upgraded to a 3200+. After a while of sitting in a box I sent the 2000+ overseas to the Nederlands where a friend of mine put it into a machine for his mother where it is still cycling away while my 3200+ ha sbeen keeping me rather happy :cool:

4. ronjor

ronjor Global Moderator

My AMD 2000+ is doing just fine here after four years of intensive use. :cool:

5. WSFuser

WSFuser Registered Member

sounds like a decent machine tho the 2 gigs is a bit much for a non-gaming machine. do u do work with large graphics or video? neways i have the Asus A8N-SLI-Deluxe myself and between the athlon 64 3200 and corsair value memory it overclocks well. i also have a older athlon xp 2000 machine thats doing well. ive never known one processor to be more stable than the other but i do know my athlon 64 runs quite cool.

6. <DreamCatcher>

<DreamCatcher> Registered Member

7. hollywoodpc

I know I said thanks in advance but , wanted to say thank you again . You guys are really great ! And detox ! Wow . A processor used for 3-4 years , survived a trip overseas , and still kicking . Hmmm . Can I just have the one you have now when you get done ?:D

<DreamCatcher> : Nice read my friend .
    WFS guy . 2 gigs is alot , however ; I am used to running 1 gig anyway . Nice to have with alot of programs running in the background . I just thought 2 gigs might be nice just in case . In case of what ? I do not know . Lol . I wish I could use the DDR2 but , not possible at this point . Do not know there is that much difference between the two anyway .
    Ronjor . Sounds like your kicks but too !! Considering you make about 2000 posts a day in here . And having to carefully calm things down as well . Sounds like the AMD is as good as the publicity claims . Thank you again . VERY much .

Last edited: Feb 22, 2006
  8. divedog

divedog Registered Member

I just recently made the switch AMD 4400 X2, A8N-SLI premium, 7800gt, raptor hard drive. All I can say is wow. it loaded windows in 10 minuets. I am glad I made the switch.

9. hollywoodpc

WOW !!! A WHOLE bunch more than I need , OR want . And , I think you mean 10 SECONDS right ? If so , WOW !!!!

10. hollywoodpc

If it works , that is all that matters . Sounds like a decent system to me . Old , yes . So what . I still have a 1.3 P4 that I use in another room . Runs beautifully . Integrated graphics and sound . I kept it clean and it runs like a top !

11. divedog

You asked. And yes it loads windows in 10 minuets.

12. divedog

13. hollywoodpc

Yes . And thank you . Sounds sweeeeet ! But , if it takes 10 minutes to load windows , there must be a problem . With all that speed and power , 10 minutes is a lifetime . 10 minutes is a lifetime with an old system . On my P4 2.4 , windows loads in less than a minute . That is with all realtime security up and running . Might wanna check that .o_O
    Again . Thank you . I am interested in what people do use and how it works for them . Nice system indeed !:thumb: :thumb:

14. divedog

I don't mean boot windows, I mean load the operating system.

15. hollywoodpc

Oh . As in format ? WHOOSH !!!! That sounds about right . Very nice !! That would make reformatting a breeze

16. divedog

AMD is a top notch chip these days.

17. hollywoodpc

Thanks divedog . That seems to be the theme . I am sure I will do the AMD .

18. Mrkvonic

Mrkvonic Linux Systems Expert

Hello,
    I use several AMDs - although they are primarily gaming toys for me!
    Still, the 64x version boots suse 64 like a sweet cake!
    And it takes only 15 sec to boot into windows with the strongest one - similar to your machine, 2gb ram, san diesgo 3700 blah blah. BTW, the specs you gave are solid EVEN for a gaming machine. Very solid! Not just a toy - a power toy!
    Mrk

19. Slovak

Slovak Registered Member

And just when I thought I was the only one still computing with ancient technology ;) I don't have any problems moving into something new, but too expensive for me and all I really need is the mobo, processor and ram. Everything else in this computer can transfer over, including my Lian-Li aluminum case.

20. hollywoodpc

Thanks MrK . Good to know
    @Slovak . Yep . I like my 2.4 . And , depending on what you use it for , it is as good as anything else . ;)

21. zapjb

zapjb Registered Member

USA - Back in a real State in time for a real Pres
    I've had my AMD Barton Ahtlon XP 2500+ retail for over 2yrs. Stock hsf is excellent. I built the system out of rock solid components. Very sweet. Besides the value/performance win for AMD. In days of yore Intel ran cooler than AMD. No more. In every category AMD wins!:D

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.