New computer...New backup Strategy

Discussion in 'backup, imaging & disk mgmt' started by besafe, Aug 7, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. besafe

besafe Registered Member

I am considering RollBack RX for a new Windows, Visa 64 bit machine.

What are the possible drawbacks? Worst case scenario?

EDIT: Please give me the good, the bad, and the ugly of using Rollback RX as your only source of backup. I have heard that the best combo is Disk Image plus Rollback RX. But disk imaging programs are intiomidating to me, where Rollback RX does not seem as intimidating.

Last edited: Aug 7, 2007
  2. ErikAlbert

ErikAlbert Registered Member

If you want to use RollbackRx as a MAIN PART of your backup solution, I wish you good luck. I would never do this. I hope you are an experienced RollbackRx-user otherwise I wouldn't even make such a decision. :)

3. EASTER

EASTER Registered Member

Likewise. I would instead trust a rock solid & stable rollback solution as FD-ISR than take that kind of risk. Am not sure but FD-ISR should also have 64-bit compatibility since it also works in (Ugh!) Vista. LoL

FD-ISR is perhaps THE MOST stable and trustworthy software i have ever run across as well as 110% dependable, in all my years of computing. It just doesn't break or leave you gasping in confusion when something in your system goes wrong. (Unless it's a hardware issue)

Or unleash a KillDisk virus on purpose? :cool:

4. Perman

Perman Registered Member

Hi, folks: Yes, FD-ISR is an excellent app, if you can avoid KillDisk trojan. I was a victim. I am using DeepFreeze now. Still wish FD-ISR can be integrated into DF. So far no luck yet. My new Sony Vaio comes with features which can burn recovery dics. I also depend upon Paragon Drive Backup Manager to do external backup. Surprisingly, this SONY does contain a hidden drive with all original factory installations. By press F10, I might be able to access it,(have not try it yet). very similar to Acronis True Image I used before. Have a nice one.

5. eniqmah

eniqmah Registered Member

Using Deepfreeze here as well. Unfortunately, it doesn't have snapshot capabilities, but is money well spent. Will look @ Powershadow next.

6. 19monty64

19monty64 Registered Member

I recently used the F10-recovery on my Samsung and 3:41 (min/sec) later, windows was restored to original! Re-installing ubuntu from cd took 27 minutes...

7. ErikAlbert

A. Image Backup software + RollbackRx.
    I'm not saying it's impossible, but you have to know RollbackRx and its possibilities very well to make that possible.
    You certainly need a very good restore solution, to get your snapshots back, otherwise you will get only one snapshot : the current or baseline.

B. Image Backup software alone is a good solution and certainly with ShadowProtect.

C. Image Backup software + FirstDefense-ISR is a good solution and probably the fastest and most space saving solution.
    To backup/restore your system partition, you only need three things.

1. An IMAGE of Windows + FirstDefense-ISR and it doesn't matter how old that image is.
    You have to create this image only one time.
    This image will be very small, because it contains only Windows and FDISR.

2. An UPDATED archive of each snapshot, 2 snapshots (primary and secondary) is enough, the rest is optional.
    The size of the secondary snapshot can be reduced to the minimum and acts as a refuge snapshot.
    Updating an existing archive is faster than any existing Image Backup software. A matter of seconds or a few minutes.

3. A solution to backup/restore/synchronize your personal data.
    I'm going to experiment with Karen's Replicator (freeware) and this might replace the imaging of my data partition with ShadowProtect.

8. EASTER

EASTER Registered Member

I'm a PARAGON loyal and it's worked to perfection for me as well as i also make images from DriveSnapshot in addition just to be on the safe side.

Imaging apps should always be #1 on your list of recovery solutions, then rollback apps. That way you are not left with your tongue hanging out when either a supposedly good commercial software disrupts your good system OR windows itself decides to go out for lunch. Needless to say theres also the likelihood of some malware attack that lives for destruction too.

At the start, i used to collect up ALL my installers and vital programs and zip them up to CD. That was the old days, but i still have them too.

Technology is evolved enough now though where there are some really trustworthy imaging programs to carry out those type of safeguard duties for you and restore your system with both speed and reliability.

9. Huupi

Huupi Registered Member

With Karin Replicator you can also schedule from every second to once a month to update backups but be carefull to tick/untick options.

huub.

10. ErikAlbert

I wonder which is the fastest one :

Restoring an Image with Windows + all your snapshots (complete partition).

OR

Restoring a small Image with Windows + FDISR first and then restoring each snapshot with their archive.

11. EASTER

EASTER Registered Member

I have SynBack but that Replicator program also looks interesting to me. One thing i really prefer even though i fully trust my imaging apps is a program that can duplicate my programs, installers and all for safekeeping Off or On-Disk.

Thanks for the idea.

12. zapjb

zapjb Registered Member

Ime it's unwise to not account for HDD failure.

13. Huupi

Huupi Registered Member

I don't know,i only restore systempart. C,in it the FDISR worksnapshot and minimal secundary,it takes 6 min. to restore 12 Gig with SP.
    Lately i did a reinstall of Windows.installs FDISR,created a secundary snapshot,booted to it and then made my primary current with an up to date archived snapshot,the whole process copy/update took 15 min.and i kept my fingers crossed,but in this case and as always FDISR never led me down !![a perfect restore] side benefit of all these is that my secundary is the original Windows install and so a very small minimal one!

Last edited: Aug 8, 2007
  14. DVD+R

DVD+R Registered Member

FD-ISR wont run on 64Bit Systems :( Rollback Rx Will Run :)

15. Huupi

Huupi Registered Member

Among others that's one reason why i hesitate to upgrade to Vista and will waite for a compatible FDISR version.

Edit : off of march already there is a Vista version 32 bit.

16. stapp

stapp Global Moderator

I use Karen's replicator and I don't think there's an easier program to use.

I just use it as a backup backup (if you get my meaning) just keep all my docs, pics, music and setups backed up with it on an external. .....just in case:)

17. Huupi

Huupi Registered Member

With KR its even easy to restore,just reverse source and destinaton !!

18. Rilla927

Rilla927 Registered Member

Hi Perman,

Can you explain this to me? I d/l Deep Freeze but I have not installed it yet and I have FD-ISR. Can they both not reside on the same drive?

Thanks,

19. Perman

Perman Registered Member

Hi, my remarks was based on the matching attempt between DF v.6.2 and FD-ISR v.1. My findings are(1) if DF is installed first, then FD-ISR's installation will fail. (2)if DF-ISR is installed first, DF's installation into same drive (such as C) may be ok, but FD-ISR will not be able to execute correctly(can not recall this clearly now). The third one I did not try, but may make some sense: To make a second partition, say E, then install FD-ISR into E, followed by DF's installation into C. with this option you may be able to use these two apps on two different partitions. Please Remember to create new partition prior to DF's installation, because once DF is installed, you won't be able to re-size your drive. Now, DF has released newer version 6.3 and I believe FD-ISR has advanced to v.3 before being pulled the plug. I have not got a chance to try a new matching attempt yet. Sorry, I wish I could be of more help. Good luck.

20. Rilla927

Rilla927 Registered Member

Yes, the version I d/l was 6.3. Thanks for your in put. I will have to think about this.

I'm glad you mentioned about not being able to resize the drive cuz I wondered this myself.

21. ErikAlbert

I have the same full restore time with ShadowProtect : 6 minutes and I don't even have a minimal secondary snapshot.
    So I assume that restoring with ShadowProtect (Windows + FDISR) and restoring each snapshot with its archive will take longer than 6 minutes.
    The advantage is that the combination ShadowProtect + FDISR gives you a double backup of your system partition, plus all the other advantages of FDISR.

Last edited: Aug 8, 2007
  22. Huupi

Huupi Registered Member

It looks Erik that you backup/restore only from within the recovery environment,if thats the case then after restore you have to make the system current with the archived snapshots,i do this myself.A more speedy restore you get with a SP install and take incrementals often so in case you need to restore,the restored system is already current [so there is no need for the copy/updating afterwards]

23. besafe

besafe Registered Member

OK...I have been convinced that RollbackRX is NOT the way to go. So now, I am looking for a single program backup solution. It doesn't have to be a perfect soultion covering all disaster recovery possibilities. Just a solid solution.

If something goes wrong on my PC, I want to be able to quickly restore:

1. All my application data
    2. All my emails/address book/fIE favorites, etc

I would prefer to simply boot back to an image of thew whole thing, but I can handle having to re-install my applications if I had to.

What single program would you reccomend? I have only looked at:

A. Shadow Protect or
    B. Backup4all

Are either of these a good all in one solution? If not, what else should I look at? I am not a computer genius like many here. So ease of use is paramount.

24. Huupi

Huupi Registered Member

Don't know about B. But SP is almost a cosmic binary you can throw almost everything on it and it digested them all !

25. ErikAlbert

I also recommend ShadowProtect. It was the fastest one, very simple, very reliable and without bloat, like ATI.
    It also uses less screens for backup/restore than ATI.
    ATI has about 10 screens to do the same job.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.