New Computer Hard Drive Question

Discussion in 'other software & services' started by WilliamP, May 2, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. WilliamP

WilliamP Registered Member

I have a new Dell 8400 ordered with a 160 GB Serial ATA hard drive. Now my question is I have a 60 GB WD ATA drive in an Enclosure that I want to use. I'm not sure ,but I believe the drive in the new Dell is a Seagate because of the Native Command Queuing that it is supposed to have. Will I be able to use the enclosure with the ATA drive?

2. Blackspear

Blackspear Global Moderator

If you are talking about a External Hard Drive Bay with a Hard Drive inside, then yes, you shouldn't see an issue.

Cheers :D

3. WilliamP

Hi Blackspear. I have a Storcase enclosure and carrier with the 60 GB drive to store digital pictures. It was originally internal, but I wanted the enclosure so I could swap drives without going into the computer. The enclosure is connected to the IDE cable as a secondary, set up cable select. On the Seagate web site they talk about a different cable than the IDE. I don't have the new system yet so I am not sure what it will have in it. I was concerned about the cable and the fact that one is ATA and the other SATA.

4. WilliamP

I E Mailed Dell and they said it won't work.

5. Blackspear

It depends on the motherboard, if you can you should be able to change your motherboard to one that has both Serial ATA and ATA (IDE). Then it will work, most of the main motherboards out there have both during this transitional period.

6. TheQuest

TheQuest Registered Member

Hi, WilliamP

That is Correct the Sata cable is different than IDE it only has 4 wires as to IDE's 80.

But there should be IDE Connectors on the Mother Board for IDE Cable Devices. ie, CD, DVD, HDD ect.

Take Care,
    TheQuest :cool:

7. WilliamP

I am glad to hear that I will be able to use my second HD. If I connect it to the same cable as the CD/DVD RW drive at what position should I put it? It will be used as a storage drive for digital pictures. Should it be in the middle or at the end?

8. hadi

hadi Guest

HD at the end:set it as master > leaving middle for CD set as slave
    HD in the middile :set it as slave > leaving end for CD as master

Check which line above suits your need. some CD/RW works fine if set as master

9. hadi

hadi Guest

BTW have you checked the motherboard whether it has another IDE for HD's. Only some ofthe newest BIOSes can handle 4 HD's =2 SATA's + 2 PATA's (IDE)
    if MOBO has an IDE place "free" then check BIOS you can configure it in most cases as

2 IDE HD +2 CD + floopy
    or
    2 SATA + 2 CD + floppy
    or
    2 SATA + 2 IDE HD + floppy CDROMs ARE NOT ACCESSIBLE

SOME NEWEST BIOSes can handle 4 HD's =2 SATA's + 2 PATA's (IDE) + 2 CD's + floppy

10. WilliamP

I am going to have one SATA drive on a serial cable and a ATA drive and a CD/DVD RW drive on an IDE cable.

11. Blackspear

That should be just fine, you might have to replace the IDE cable if it comes with only 1 connector.

12. WilliamP

On the IDE cable,where should I put the drive ? Middle or end? On my present computer I have my system drive and this enclosure on the IDE cable set cable select. How should the enclosure and CD/DVD drive be set on this new system?

13. Blackspear

It really doesn't make a difference it depends on the length and the positions of each connector.

I would set the CD Burner as a Master, and the 2nd drive as a Slave as some Burners require this.

14. WilliamP

Well my friends it came in today. Now I haven't plugged it in yet. I did open it up and installed my Storcase. The CD/DVD drive was in the top bay,so I put the enclosure in the second bay from the top. The IDE cable had the two connectors, so I don't have to get another. The DVD drive was connected to the end and was set cable select. I left it at that and connected the enclosure to the middle connector. I am not going to put the carrier ,with the hard drive in it in until I get everything working. I will set it cable select to try it. Dell seems to like cable select.

15. WilliamP

Help Please New Computer

I have my new computer and installed my enclosure on the IDE cable along with the CD/DVD drive. The DVD drive on the end and the enclosure with the hard drive in it, in the middle both set to cable select. When it boots it looses both drives. I went into set up and tried to get it to recognize the new drive but so far no luck.

16. Bubba

Bubba Updates Team

Re: Help Please New Computer

I would suggest you set the jumpers accordingly....and see what the bios does then.

Hard drive=Master
    CD/DVD=Slave

17. WilliamP

This drive is only used to store digital photos. Will it's use make any difference?

18. Bubba

Bubba Updates Team

The use of a hard drive should make no difference.

19. WilliamP

Thank you Bubba. Should I leave them connected as they are ,with the DVD drive at the end of the cable?

20. Bubba

Bubba Updates Team

That should be no problem....but be sure while you are there and take the time to double check your connections.
    Nothing worse than to proceed forward....hardware does not get recognized and it points back to a loose connection....been there done that with t-shirt :D

Also....I want assume....but you do have your bios settings properly set so that it will auto-select for Primary IDE port in regards to Master\Slave drives :doubt:

21. WilliamP

Bubba ,how do I do that . I believe that is probably my problem.

22. Bubba

Bubba Updates Team

The ability to enter the Bios setup in regards to what key-strokes to use varies according to motherboards....F2, F10, Del....etc....but should be visible to you as you turn your PC on in the form of Press F2 for setup....for example.

If this is a major brand PC....who's the Mfg. and model.

23. WilliamP

This is a Dell with XP Pro. I clicked on F2 and went into set up but not sure of what to do when I got there.

24. Bubba

Bubba Updates Team

Ease my mind about what brought you to this point Please.

You have a new Dell....what of these hardware items did not come with it and\or what caused you to get into the case :doubt:

Also....for possible later use in case I or others wish to post a pic of the page that would help you from your owners manual....where this BIOS info can be viewed....what type Dell did you get....Please Model # and such.

25. WilliamP

Ok my friend it is a Dell 8400. I had a StorCase enclosure with a 60GB HD that I transfered from my old computer which was aDell 8200. On the old computer it was on the IDE cable with the system drive in the middle,both set cable select. Of course the StorCase takes the place of an optical drive. I think that I am going to have to set the DVD drive as master and the enclosure as slave. The DVD is at the end of the cable.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.